Negatively adjusting Defensive powers/characteristics

Scott Baker

Question

The question came up over in the Hero System Discussion forum about when to apply power defense against an adjustment power being used to negatively adjust a defensive power (or characteristic).

On 6E1 141 there is the example of Leech having a 6D6 Drain against an unnamed defense. Leech rolls 6D6 and halves the total to determine how many Character Points of the defense are drained. The question that has come up is whether to apply Power Defense against the full 6D6 total, or against the halved amount.

We are aware of the specific rule regarding draining Power Defense itself on 6E1 272.

Specific example:

Leech has a 6D6 Drain BODY and rolls a total of 18. He attacks Poor Unfortunate Soul who has Power Defense 10.

1. Apply defense after halving: 18 / 2 = 9 points. 9 points - 10 power defense = 0 BODY drained.
  2. Apply defense before halving: 18 - 10 power defense = 8 points. 8 points / 2 = 4 BODY drained.

Which option is correct?

Thanks.

Edit: changed to a numbered list since my letters were interpreted as emoji. And remembered my manners.

Edited by Scott Baker

1 answer to this question

I hate that when my lettered items get turned into emoji!

When a character tries to Drain (or otherwise negatively Adjust) a defensive ability (see 6E1 141), and the target has Power Defense, apply the Power Defense to reduce the amount rolled on the dice before halving the effect.

Example:  Leech uses his Drain BODY 6d6 on Lord Liaden, who’s wielding a whiffle bat to try to stop Leech from attacking Polly Pureheart. Unfortunately for Leech, Lord Liaden knows what he’s about and has bought Power Defense (10 points). Leech gets an effect roll of 18. Lord Liaden’s Power Defense reduces that to 8, and since BODY is a “defensive ability” that final result is halved, so LL only loses 4 BODY.