Multipower & Delay Advantage

Werethunder

Question

Hello!

My doubt is this: I am designing a magic system in which the spellcaster has the option to prepare and store some spells beforehand (with the advantage "Delay"). So far, so good. The problem comes when I consider the possibility that the spells could be fixed slots of a Multipower (say, "Wizardry spells"). Then, the questions arise:

1) Is it possible for a spellcaster to prepare and store a spell, then swich slots in the Multipower and prepare other spells, up to the limit set to him of stored spells?

2) If so, "Delay" should be applied to the whole Multipower (reserve and powers within) or to the powers (fixed slots) only?

Thank you and best regards! :yes:

1 answer to this question

Good question!

The rules for this are on page 45 of APG2. There's a lengthy example I don't want to repeat here, but the basic rule is this:

If a slot in a Power Framework has the Delayed Effect Advantage, once a character prepares and “stores” that power according to the Delayed Effect rules he has to keep the Framework allocated to that power. If he switches the Framework to another slot in such a way that the Framework is no longer fully allocated to the stored power, the stored power is lost.

Of course, if you're creating the magic for your world/campaign and you want to change this rule, you certainly can -- all's fair in love and magic system design. ;)  Assuming the same rules apply to all spellcasters, it may not have a serious effect on game balance. And you may end up with a cool magic system whose implications you can explore during game play.