SFX vs. Susceptibility or Vulnerability, Part II

eepjr24

Question

First post answered part 2 and 3 very clearly, just wanted to make sure I understood for the 1st part.

Drain BODY 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), AOE (24\" Line; +1) (90 Active Points)

Would the above, defined as an Illusory Ice Storm trigger Complications verses ice or cold effects? I guess I should also ask if it was not BOECV would it still trigger them? I think from the previous answer it would, but before I go building a slew of spells I thought I would clarify. Thank you.

- E

1 answer to this question

I'm not going to answer that question specifically, because it uses pre-6th Edition rules, and I stopped answering such questions with the publication of 6E several years ago.

However, I will say that, whether a character is using the rules for simulating Mental Powers with ACV and AVAD, or even whether he's building some sort of power without advantages and defining it as an "illusory" something, is largely meaningless. Either an effect has X special effect, or it uses a strong enough Mental Illusions to simulate X special effect, or it's not X special effect and can't trigger a Vulnerability or Susceptibility to X. In situations where you think there's some doubt or "wiggle room" to argue a different interpretation, that's left to the GM to rule on. That's why we keep 'em around instead of letting them loose to roam free in the wild. :)