Accurate advantage - clarifying the question

eepjr24

Question

I failed to provide a clear question, so hopefully I will do better this time. =)

If I want to model a power that attacks 2 (or more) single targets by hitting the hex they are in (ala the Accurate Advantage), is there a way to model this legally in Hero? I have additional ideas to those that I had last time I asked, so hopefully one of these will be legal and recommended.

1. Build it as AOE: Any, Accurate (+1/2) for the first 1m Radius, then an additional (+1/2) for each adjacent 1m Radius.

2. Buy the power, with AOE: 1m and Accurate (+1/2), and Unified Power (-1/4) twice (or more times for additional hexes).

3. Buy Autofire in addition to AOE: 1m Radius, Accurate and pay the additional modifier for non-standard targeting.

4. Buy the power AOE: 1m, Accurate and then buy N x 2 two point CSL levels with the attack to offset the targeting penalties for the multiple attack maneuver (where N is the number of targets you want to affect).

5. Some other option I have not thought of.

Since multiple attack is a cautionary maneuver, I understand that you can't answer for everyone but would appreciate knowing how you would use it in your campaign.

- E

1 answer to this question

I'm sorry, but apparently I still don't understand the question. You say you want to:

"model a power that attacks 2 (or more) single targets by hitting the hex they are in (ala the Accurate Advantage)"

But that's not what Accurate does. Accurate "makes the attack work against DCV 3 without having the potential to affect multiple targets" (6E1 321). By definition it only affects one target.

So I can read your question one of two ways:

1. How can I create a power that attacks 2 (or more) single targets by hitting the [area] they are in?

The answer to that, of course, is to buy Area Of Effect (1m Radius) (or however big you want the Radius to be), use some other Area Of Effect shape, or perhaps try Autofire.

2.  How can I create a power that has the Accurate Advantage but isn't restricted to one target --- it can affect 2 (or more) single targets by hitting the [area] they are in?

The answer to that is, "There is no specific way under the HERO System rules to do that; by definition Accurate's restricted to just one target, so you have to get creative."

So, on to getting creative. :)  There are some possible workarounds (including, of course, a ruling by the GM, probably involving some increased cost for the power). Consider:

1. Make the attack Autofire, then shoot the same area X times but declare a different target each time.

2. Take a look at the Ignite spell in HSG, which is for lighting candles and other small things (though it could have some combat applications). The construct I used there was to buy Area Of Effect (8m Radius Selective, so the spell only targets objects the wizard wants to hit) and Area Of Effect (1m Radius Accurate, so that each roll within the 8m Radius is against DCV 3 [and by any reasonable person's common sense and dramatic sense simply succeeds automatically]). Technically this requires the GM's permission, since the rules don't specifically say what happens in this situation, but as the GM writing the book I approved it. ;)

Hopefully that answers the question. If not, please try again, or PM me if that would be easier. ;)