Mind Control and Naked Advantages

g3taso

Starting with Mind Control 12d6 (standard effect: 36 points), I realized I had a question or two. I am playing 5th Edition btw.

1. Mind Control is an Instant. Am I correct that in this case it costs 6 END to activate the power and not 6 END per action? In other words, if I use Mind Control to force someone to change the oil in my car am I paying 6END every few seconds, or just to get him started?

Now, let's say that I want to use Naked Advantage: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points (15 Active Points) on that Mind Control.

2. Now it only costs 3END as above instead of 6?

3. Does the rule that buying Reduced Endurance as an NA costing 0END mean the NA doesn't cost END, or does it mean the power I apply it to doesn't cost END (even if I only bought 1/2 END on the NA)?.

4. What if I apply another NA, this one adding Cumulative. Does that mean each of my turns I can make another roll, spend more END and add my results to the growing tally (up to the max of Cumulative)?

I just want to make sure I understand.

You can use it as a single action and walk away to do other stuff.

However they get breakout rolls.

If you choose to continue paying them they do not get the breakout rolls.

Which version are you using and I can get you a page number for reference.

You can use it as a single action and walk away to do other stuff.

However they get breakout rolls.

If you choose to continue paying them they do not get the breakout rolls.

Which version are you using and I can get you a page number for reference.

5e

In Hero System 5th Edition Revised (aka 'FRED') Mind Control and many other Mental Powers are 'pseudo-instant'. You activate Mind Control as an Instant Power, and get one 'command' per Effect Roll. If successful the target continues to follow that command until they complete it or succeed a Breakout Roll. However you can Pay END every phase (as though the power were Constant in order to prevent the control from deteriorating, in other words to prevent the Breakout Rolls from getting easier (contrary to what Ndreare said they still get Breaktout Rolls if you "maintain" the effect). See pages 118 and 203 of the Hero System 5th Edition Revised.

​The implication of the rules on page 118 are that you cannot reduce the END cost of preventing deterioration by any means. Even if the power itself costs 0 END, it still costs END to prevent the target from accruing bonuses to their Breakout Rolls.

The target still gets Breakout Rolls either way (once for every step down the Time Chart that passes while the power is in effect; 1 Phase, 1 Turn, 1 Minute, etc). If you Pay END to maintain the effect the target doesn't accumulate bonuses to their Breakout Roll that make it more likely for them to succeed.

The default modifier to the Breakout Roll is -1 per five points of Effect by which the Effect Roll exceeds the Threshold of Effect. For example, if the threshold of success is EGO+10 (and they have an EGO of 13) you need a result of 23 to Control them. If your Effect Roll is a 28 the target will suffer a -1 penalty to their initial Breakout Roll. The next Breakout Roll (after 1 Turn) would be at -0, and the one after that (after 1 Minute) would be at +1, etc. If you paid END the entire time, each Breakout Roll would be made at the initial -1 penalty.