Spell Costs Divided By Three

Blue Angel

For those using this costing system: how do you differentiate between powers (spells etc) that have costs divided by three and those that cost full?

It seems that even some talents have spell like function. Do you charge 1/3 for those?

What about semi-spell casters like Paladin based characters? Do they pay full points or do they get a cost break too?

Or do only 'true' spell casters get this cost benefit?

I am curious if and how others have dealt with these issues.

I would imagine that if it has the Spell (-1/2) and RSR (Appropriate Arcana) limitation that the real cost is div by 3.

Otherwise, the abilities are probably full cost. The advantage being they aren't spells.

Div cost by 3 is essentially like putting the powers in a framework and you could certainly make that a part of the world.

Originally posted by mudpyr8

I would imagine that if it has the Spell (-1/2) and RSR (Appropriate Arcana) limitation that the real cost is div by 3.

Otherwise, the abilities are probably full cost. The advantage being they aren't spells.

Div cost by 3 is essentially like putting the powers in a framework and you could certainly make that a part of the world.

Yes, Div by three is more expensive than an ultra slot but the pool cost is free. Also all powers can be used simultaneously.

Maybe I missed that paragraph in FH but what is the additional dissadvantage of a spell to warrant the additional -1/2? What makes it a more dissadvantagous special effect than any other?

Originally posted by cypar7

The Limitation, Spell (-1/2) can be found in the Fanasty Hero tome on page 246, under a section entilted "Combat Modifiers and Maneuvers".

The basic idea of the limitation is to prevent spellcasters from using rapid Fire, Haymaker, Move By, etc. with spells.

Bruce

Thanks for the info.

Personally I prefer the ground rule approach to the -1/2 lim, and I have allowed some prohibited maneuvers where special effect warrants it, such as spreading for lightning and fire breath.