Tricking Out Weaponsmith

g3taso

I'm playing Heroic, so I have a soft spot for Weaponsmith as a skill. I just like the idea of being able to make my "babies", those situational weapons for "that special case". Like Ion Blasters for droids in Star Wars, or mebbe that nice weapon mount in The Jackal. So, how might Weaponsmith really shine? I know it's "make and maintain weapons", but how could it be really cool?

My first thought is complementary skills. Mechanics or Electronics would be appropriate depending on genre or technology base of course.

How might you build a solid character niche on Weaponsmith? What complementary skills are awesome? What shenanigans might you contemplate?

• Bribery - to obtain specialized parts or materials you could not obtain via 'proper' channels
  • Bureaucratics - to obtain specialized parts or materials via 'proper' channels with minimal hassle/time ... and also to work through the legalities
  • Computer Programming - to allow you to do CAD design work to use with a CNC machine to take billet material and mill it to exact specifications
  • Electronics - if you're in a high-tech genre where weapons might require this on top of Mechanics
  • Inventor - for hopefully obvious reasons
  • KS: BATFE Law - to know what is and is not legal per the BATFE ... and/or how to go about things legally so that you don't end up in taxpayer-funded 25 year hotel stay behind a locked door
  • KS: Ballistics
  • KS: Lenses and Optics
  • KS: Material Science
  • Mechanics - for hopefully obvious reasons
  • PS: Gunsmith - for hopefully obvious reasons
  • Streetwise: Gun Community - go to a gun shop regularly and you, too, will learn who likes what weapons, how well they sell locally, where you can find certain things ... and you'll hear about people selling things prior to consignment or being listed on Gunbroker.  You'll also know the local gunsmith and be put ahead in his queue because he'd rather work on things for someone he knows than on things for strangers.  You'll even have front-line access to things others don't tend to have access to ... just because you're a regular.  (It's a lot like being a wine buying regular for whom cases are held in reserve, except it's weapon-focused.)
  • Two-Weapon Fighting - if you're a pistoleer, this might make sense.
  • Weapon Familiarities - a pile of them, because you've probably been there and done that with most weapon types ... out of sheer curiosity/interest ... and it's the kind of knowledge that helps inform your creative choices on things you make
  • Weaponsmith - for hopefully obvious reasons