Costing of Bases and Vehicles.

knasser2

Question

Slightly confused by how to cost these. It seems simple enough but the Vehicle table has Starting Values, in the same way that characters do. Do I pay for these starting values or not? The implication is that I don't. But that also means that if I created a vehicle that only had these values, it would be 0CP. Well, 1CP since there's a rule that's the minimum something can cost. But you see my point.

So if I create a vehicle with 12 Body, does that cost 2CP because it's 10+(2*1CP)? Or does it cost 12CP because it's 12*1CP?

1 answer to this question

The starting Characteristics for Vehicles and Bases (see 6E2 186, 189) are "free" in the sense that you don't account for them when adding up the cost of a Vehicle/Base to determine what it costs a character in Character Points -- the character just pays for the costs for Characteristics beyond those starting totals. Thus, in your example, you build a Vehicle with 12 BODY. Since Vehicles start with 10 BODY, you've only spent 2 Character Points, so that Vehicle costs you (2 / 5 = 0.4) = 1 point (since, as you point out, the minimum cost of anything in the HERO System is 1 point).