Final Fantasy Unknown

Mavnn

Well, having set up the ground rules well enough for a one-on-one game (ie. very vaguely indeed) on this thread, I've started my Final Fantasy 7 based pbem game. On the same thread, you can find the write up of the lead (and only) PC.

The basic idea is a game that starts at the same point as the FF7 computer game. However, the universe isn't quite the same... Cloud is no where to be seen, and now that things have reached this points things will be diverging from the FF7 plot line rapidly. The player is aware that there are differences between the universes, but will have to find out what they are the hard way :). The main ones he knew in advance are that materia work slightly differently (one spell per materia, they don't grow more powerful with use) and that materia are much harder to buy than in the computer game.

What I'm planning to post below, are chunks of the IC story as we finish them. Note that we're writing this as quick emails in work breaks slowly building into larger posts, so if they don't always flow like classic prose, that would be why.

I'm hoping these are useful, inspiring, or at least interesting to some people out there. If they are, let us know. If you not, don't say anything and I'll stop posting at some point and not waste the bandwidth :).

There are obviously OOC things going on in the emails that I've cut from the finished 'turns'. If you really want to see the mechanics behind fights and stuff, just ask.

As our story opens, the hero of the piece is an amnesiac with no memory of who he is, what he's doing, or where he is.

Michael

Beginnings

Unknown slouched asleep in a chair in Sector 7 Railway station waiting room. No-one else was around, and the cloak on the wall clicks slowly over to 23:12.

A moment later the noise of an arriving train could be heard, and Unknown stired and woke. His stomach rumbled loudly.

Unknown stretched, his joints clicking slightly. He scanned the room quickly and blinked as the nearby signs imformed him he was at Midgar 7 Train Station. Grabbing a nearby newspaper, he strode off towards the mens room.

Having glanced at the date and headlines, Unknown folded the newspaper as he entered the men's room and moved to the wash basin. The water he splashed on his face refreshed him, but his eyes were drawn to the glowing reflection of themselves in the mirror. Unknown stared at himself for a

few moments, trying to remember the stranger looking back at him, but couldn't. The exercise was not in vain though, he now knew himself to have been in Soldier, the mako eyes gave that much away. Having made a mental note to acquire shades as soon as possible, he finally spoke.

"Who are you?" he asked the reflection, when no answer was forthcoming he answered his own question. "No one. Nemo."

With a faint smile at his own joke, he left the men's room and headed towards the centre of town.

The smell and noise of the slums hit 'Nemo' immediately as he left the station. A couple of street toughs did take a quick look at him, but not much more before deciding that it really wasn't worth the effort.

Shop, inns, brothels and bars ran off in all directions, and a constant stream of people bustled back and forth around him. Most of the shops were closed at this time, but the rest of the buildings seemed to be doing a roaring trade...

Nemo passed the bars and clubs quickly, heading for the seedier parts of town, sooner or later one of the street scum would be stupid or drugged up enough to try and turn him over, then he could pick up enough money for a meal and a drink. And once he could afford to sit in a bar and drink, he

could afford to pick up rumours and maybe work.

The seedier parts of town weren't hard to find, and Nemo's distinctive appearance was soon drawing attention. Noticing someone trailing behind him slightly drunkenly, Nemo turned into a dark alley and waited for his 'assailent'.

The man soon came round the corner, a flick knife in his hand and swaying slightly from the drink.

"The wallet, man. Give me your wallet." He waved the knife in Nemo's general direction.

In Nemo's conservative estimate, he couldn't lose. The sword would be short and safe, but might cause complications. He wasn't so sure what unarmed combat training he'd received, but he was fit, strong, trained for fighting - and sober. A non-lethal takedown seemed more than possible.

Nemo looked at the individual addressing him and replied. "Why don't you come over here and take it from me?" Then he waited for the thug to close with him, preparing to knock the poor fool unconscious as soon as he could

be reached.

Mugger/Muggee

Nemo looked at the individual addressing him and replied. "Why don't you

come over here and take it from me?" Then he waited for the thug to close

with him, preparing to knock the poor fool unconscious as soon as he could

be reached.

The thug didn't wait to be asked twice. "Your funeral, bub," he slurred as he stepped forwards and lunged with his blade. Nemo barely moved, but the blade smoothly slipped past his body with out making contact. Then Nemo's fist smashed into the thugs mouth, sending him staggering back a step.

There was an ugly grating noise as Nemo's two-handed sword slide out of it's sheath. "Why don't you give me all your money and valuables before I use my nice, shiny, sword to gut you like a sardine?" His cape twitched in the wind behind him, and his voice sent ice shivers through the drunken muggers spine.

"Please don't kill me! I've got a wife and children! I'm not like this normally, but my daughter's starving and we need the money! Shinra's trying to reposses my home! My wife's threatening to leave me if I don't shape up! I'll get blood all over your sword and you'll have to clean it! My wife was killed by that murderer yesterday and I'm mad with grief! I'm an orphan who never got a good start in life!..."

The thug collapsed onto his knees, excuses bubbling out of his mouth in a drunken, slurred, rush...

Nemo loked down at the blubbering mess. "Leave all your money and valubles

on the floor. If you are out of my sight by the time I have collected

them, you get to live. Otherwise..." Nemo trailed off into an evil grin,

eyes glowing faintly.

The thug continued blabbering as he pulled out his wallet and threw it

on the ground in front of him. "...and it's all I've got in the

world..." He then stood, "...nothing else, not even a smoke..." turned,

"...my wife and children will starve!..." and ran for his life, his

voice trailing off into the distance. "...and I'll never buy another

drink in my life..."

Nemo picked up the wallet. There weren't many gil in there, but there

were enough to buy food, a room for a night and enough bar propping time

to maybe find a job. It wouldn't last long, though.

Nemo left the alley in search of a bar, the sort of bar that he could buy

a meal, a drink, and some information on mercenary employers. As he was

walking he consideredgoing to Shinra HQ to see if they had any record of

his time in the military with them, but he could not be certain that he

had left Soldier under auspicious circumstances, so decided that would be

the last resort. Right now it was time for a drink and some food.

Propping Up The Bar

The Seventh Heaven was small, crowded and looked like it had seen better days. On the other hand, the beer was good, the food was cheap, and the number of people in here carrying heavy weaponry suggested it might be the local mercenary haunt.

The lack of bullet holes suggested that somebody, somewhere, kept the peace. Nemo's current bets were on the huge black guy who's arm had been replaced with a gun prosthetic, but then again something about the way the bar maid moved would have given him pause if he'd been thinking about making any trouble. Between the two of them and the fact that even mercs like having a quiet place to have a drink occassionally, he wouldn't be surprised if this was the most dangerous place in the city to think of starting trouble.

As he ate his food, Nemo kept his eyes on the surroundings, and by the time that he'd finished he had a rough idea of how things seemed to work. Both hirers and hirees seemed to go first to the bar maid, who then hooked relevant people up at same tables around the bar. He was impressed that the clientele trusted her enough to give her the information needed for her to make the connections, but it was probably less risky than approaching people at random around the bar. All he needed now was a way to sell himself that would get him hooked up with a hirer he was willing to work for.

Nemo finished his meal and returned to the bar. After a few moments he caught the barmaid's attention, "I've just arrived in town. Looking for a little work. I understand you're the person to talk to. Oh, and another beer please." he finished with a smile.

The barmaids smile in response was sincere, but not personal as she turned to pull another beer. "All depends what kind of work you're looking for." She placed the beer carefully in front of him, "The bar's not in need of staff at the moment, and for any other work you not going to get much money till you get a rep."

"Ah, yes." Nemo responded, "The ever present catch 22 situation. No decent jobs until one has a reputation, and no reputation until one has some reasonably high profile jobs under one's belt." He paused, smiling to

himself at the problem before continuing, "No matter. I am willing to take whatever jobs are available for a man of my 'reputation'. Having money to live on is more important than professional pride, I think..." Nemo's

sentence trailed off as he studied the face of his potential employer, "How remarkable. I don't believe I have ever seen mako infusion in brown eyes before. It's an interesting effect." He said almost without thinking,

before breaking eye contact, annoyed at himself for speaking out loud.

"Mako infusion?" Her voice was puzzled. "Isn't that what Soldiers have done to them?"

"Yes." Nemo replied. "You have a very slight trace of it in your eyes. You were unaware of it?"

"Yes." She nodded slowly. "What would the effects of a Mako infusion be?" Her attitude is cautious, almost as if she's testing you in some way but she seems to be telling the truth.

Nemo took a sip from his beer to cover his surprise as memories bombarded him. Suddenly he could recall all sorts of details about the Shinra miltary. Unfortunatly none of it about mako infusion. Nemo decided to tell

the girl what he had pieced together from what he knew. "As I understand it, the most notable effect is a heightened ability to use materia. Enabling your soldiers to use magic gives them one more edge against the

opposition." Nemo paused, "Shinra keep quiet about mako infusion in general and the effects in particular, so I could be wrong. The only effect I can be sure of is the glowing 'mako eyes' as they call them." As he said this Nemo held her gaze for a moment, "See?" He asked.

Her expression was suddenly more guarded, and she picked up an empty glass to start polishing with a cloth. "You're Soldier?"

Nemo snorted. "No. If I were Solder I wouldn't need a job now would I? Let's just say Shinra and I had a little conflict of interests, followed by a parting of the ways, and leave it at that." Nemo took another swig from his bottle before continuing, "I'd rather that information didn't get around if you don't mind."

She nodded, but didn't put the glass done for a moment. "Didn't get around to clientele, or didn't get around to Shinra?"

Nemo smiled slightly, "Shinra. Though the fewer people that know, the less likely that is to happen. That said, I'll trust your judgement if you feel a potential employer needs to know."

She nodded again, and this time the glass got returned to the bar top. "Nice to know my own rep is that good. So, what do I call you? Should I just go with Soldier boy? Or maybe Mr. Meat Sticker?" She grinned at him.

Nemo winced good naturedly at the nicknames then grinned back, "Call me Nemo." He said. "And how should I address you, good lady?"

"Nemo. Fair enough." She smiled a much more personal smile at him. "Well, I've got some customers to serve, Nemo. But if you want to hang around for a while, we'll see what work we can find you." She paused briefly. "I'm Tifa. Pleasure to meet you."

"And you." Nemo replied.

As the conversation drew to a close, Nemo took his seat again to see what would happen. Several hours went past, with the occassional drink and comment from Tifa until the early hours of the morning when the crowd started to thin out.

There were only about 10 people left in the bar when a very short figure, cloaked, and with hood pulled up to cover their face came in. They took Tifa aside and had a quiet conversation, which seemed to leave the bar maid upset, but determined.

The cloaked figure turned and left, and after a few moments Tifa came over and sat down next to Nemo. "So, depending on how you feel about it, we might have you a job. You got any problems working with a partner?"

"In principle no, but I would like to meet them, and have some idea of what the job is before accepting." Nemo responded, pausing briefly. "You don't look too thrilled about this job, whatever it is. Is there a problem?" He finished.

"Yeah, there's a problem. The hirer doesn't have much in the way of money. So the only people likely to take the job are people like you, who need the money and the rep." she paused. "And people like me who have some... other... reasons to be involved."

She shook her head as if to clear it. "Look, this isn't going to be an easy job. It could involve going up against Shinra interests. And it isn't going to pay you much. But it might get you that rep you were wanting."

She looked up again to meet his gaze once more, waiting for his answer.

"Sounds ideal." Nemo said. "What are the details?"

She grinned. "The first detail is that I'm going take you down stairs and wipe the gym floor with you for a while. I need a partner on this one, and you're looking a good choice - but you only look it at the moment. I need to know you can do your stuff. Then we're going to discuss the details, and if we're both still in I'll tell you whats going on. And then, we go get some sleep before tomorrow night, which is when things will be going down."

Nemo nodded, "Works for me. Lead the way."

Cleaning the Gym Floor

Tifa lead Nemo down into the basement of the bar, between the drinks kegs and through a unobtrusive door. Inside was a surprisingly well stocked gym, set up with all the equipment you would have expected from a top flight martial arts dojo. Stacked in one corner, out of the way, was a haphazard tower of computers leaning precariously over a short, slightly overweight man in a swivel chair.

The man waved and grinned as the two of them came in, and Tifa grinned back. "Hey, Wedge! Thought you'd gone to sleep for once."

Wedge stared at Tifa in mock surprise. "Sleep, Tifa? Sleep is for the weak!"

"Uh huh? Really..." She started rooting around a cupboard and then heaved a practice wooden two handed sword over to land at Nemo's feet. "Right, get rid of the real one for a moment. Let's see what you can do."

As Nemo placed his normal weapon to one side, Tifa reached into the cupboard and pulled out a pair of boxing gloves. "Wouldn't want to hurt you too badly either," she smirked at him. Wedge, realising what was going on, swung his chair round and popped a new can of Shin-Cola.

"I appreciate your concern, but I am quite robust." Nemo grinned.

"Heh!" Tifa 'heh'ed. "We'll see what you say about that in a minute."

Tifa gestured to a large training mat nearby, banging the boxing gloves together in front of her and doing a quick foot shuffle before moving towards the further of the two lines drawn on the arena.

Nemo followed Tifa to the arena and stopped behind the other line, falling into a fighting stance. "Ready when you are." he said.

"Bring it on! Wedge, you wanna do the honours?"

Wedge grinned even more broadly, hopped off his seat and made his way to the edge of the mat. "OK, let's have a nice, clean, fight." He grinned. "I love saying that! Anyway, when I say 'Fight!', go for it. This is a test of skill, so there's no set victory conditions and don't try and hurt each other too bad."

He paused dramatically and the two fighters tensed in stance.

"Fight!"

Tifa was fast. Very, very fast. One moment she was standing at the line, the next she was standing right next to Nemo, her fist flashing towards his face.

Barely reacting in time, Nemo spun to one side, the fist sailing past his head, and then lept off the mat as Tifa's foot scythed towards his ankles.

Before Tifa could recover her balance from the sweep, Nemo riposted with a lunging blow of the practice sword. Tifa twisted to avoid taking the full impact of the blow, but it still connected with her midriff, staggering her slightly. It didn't seem to slow her down much - even as Nemo started to withdraw the blade, she was already moving to twist it from his grasp.

"You're better than you look," she gasped out, grinning but having obviously felt his last blow.

"Thank you." Nemo nodded in response. "It's nice to be appreciated."

He calmly withdrew his sword before Tifa could apply the required leverage to disarm him.

Which was when she smacked him in the centre of his chest. He rode the blow back, robbing it of much of it's power, but still felt the impact.

Nemo smirked, "You're not so bad yourself you know."

"I try," she was all but laughing now as they sparred, handily deflecting a horizontal slash on the side of her boxing glove and absorbing the blow with it's padding. Shifting her weight she span around, her foot lashing out towards Nemo.

Her eyes widened as Nemo had no effort to dodge the blow, moving into it without regard for his safety. Her foot impacted hard with one of his shoulder plates, causing him to grunt with the effort of keeping his footing solid, but doing no appreaciable damage. Then, while Tifa's foot was still outstretched, Nemo's sword came flashing upwards in a brutal uppercut, smashing into the side of Tifa's chest. She winced and hopped backwards, holding out both fists in front of her.

"OK, OK. Enough. A blow like that from a real sword would have left me hospital for a month." Her grin was rapidly returning. "As it is, I think you've proved you've got some of the skills."

Nemo grinned back, "I'm sure I'll get a chance to demonstrate the rest of them sooner or later."

Tifa stuck her tongue out at him, and looked very cute doing it. "Not till I know you better, Soldier-boy."

She sobered up a bit. "There is one more thing I'd like to test, though. You said before Mako infusion was an add to materia use. And you seem to be pretty infused. And your sword has some slots."

She moved over to a different cupboard and pulled out a green gem, tossing it over to Nemo. As he caught it, he 'felt' at the materia, and tried to determined what it was. Definately a fire gem. Might be a Fire, might be a Fira, he wasn't quite sure.

"Show me what you can do." Tifa pointed at a nearby practice dummy.

"Fire of some kind. Let's find out which one." He clipped the gem into his sword and began to channel the power of the materia.

Nemo rose slightly into the air, sword held horizontal before him and a ring of light surrounding his feet. His long black hair billowed up above his head, and then with a roar a huge gout of flames lept out the sword and struck the dummy, blowing it to splinters. Wedge ducked as flaming shards of wood rained down around the gym, while Tifa applauded quietly. "Nicely done. But even I can activate it the once. Do you think you could do that again?"

"Hmm, Fira. I could cast it once more before needing to rest. Is there anything else you don't want anymore?" He said looking around the room.

Tifa shook her head and laughed. "No, that's fine. I'll take your word for it." She studied Nemo for a moment more and then nodded. "Yes, you'll do for a partner."

"Nice to know I pass muster." Nemo replied.

"Anyway, if you're still up for it, there's a job to be done."

"Certainly. I have nothing but time, and a rapidly emptying wallet on my hands." said Nemo with a light smile.

"We've been hired to take someone out of a Shinra security station." She held up her hand to forstall any interruptions. "We're not talking Shinra central, or anything here. Just the local lock up. There's somebody in there who's been framed for a crime. The problem is, the day after tomorrow, someone from the upper city will be coming to collect her, and our hirer has reason to believe she'll be kept at that point regardless of her actual guilt or innocence. Apparently, a particular Shinra exec has expressed a personal interest in her - and once she's gone top side, there isn't anything anyone will be able to do about it."

She paused for breath. "Now, I know you're ex-Shinra. And I don't really know what you think about the organisation as a whole. But you can't have worked for an elite unit like Soldier without finding out that some of the individuals within the organisation are not a good thing. You might even have heard of the guy, I suppose. Hojo, one of their research..."

She stopped in astonishment as Nemo collapsed to the floor, clutching his head in agony.

Slowly Nemo regained control of himself and dragged himself upright. "Oh, yes. I know Hojo." Nemo growled out. "If we get to prevent someone falling into his hands I'd do the job for free."

Tifa gave him a steadying hand as he stood. "You OK?"

Nemo nodded. "Yes, thank you, I'm fine." he said in a voice steadier than he felt. "Would I be right in assuming that we are to rescue the woman from the papers? The alledged murderess, Gainsborough was it? If so we should probably be about it as soon as possible. Guilty or innocent, she does not deserve to be in the hands of that madman."

She nodded reluctantly. "Yes. Unfortunately, I don't think it will come as a surprise to Shinra that someone might try a rescue attempt - she's well liked in the area, and not many people who have met her will believe she commited the crimes."

"Fortunately, we have two advantages," She continued. "Firstly, they'll be relying on the cowed nature of the lower city inhabitants - something neither of us suffer from. Secondly, they don't know that Wedge here cracked some of their low security computer systems recently. We have a way into the building, a supply tunnel which the automated supply trains from the upper city use."

"Sounds like you have the preparations all worked out. When do we need to leave?" Nemo asked.

"I'm not sure prepared is quite the right word. It's more that we had an emergency back up plan which it looks like we'll be using sooner than we'd hoped. The upper city people are due to pick her up the day after tomorrow, as far as we know, so tomorrow night was the target time. Just long enough to give us some sleep. There anything else you want to sort out, or do I meet you here tomorrow night to get the job done. Barrett will cover the bar for me."

"No. I think that covers everything. I'll return tomorrow evening. It's been a pleasure to meet you Tifa. Until tomorrow." Nemo said before departing in search of lodgings. Hopefully he could get a good night's sleep before the job.

[OOC]

I think this particular OOC exchange needs to stay :) :

> Phase 12:

> Tifa acts first, Roundhouse kick. Abort, or take it like a man and use

> the fact she's taken an action this segment?

>

> Take it and then attack with 2 levels in OCV and the other 2 boosting

> damage. :-)

>

> Brave man :)

Lucky. I think you mean lucky.

> Tifa rolls 10 to hit, connecting for 24 STUN, 8 BODY against one of your

> bracers. (You lucky, lucky, man - they only have a 8- activation). You

> take exactly zero damage, instead of the 10 STUN you would have taken

> overwise, and your limit gauge leaps to 13.

See? Lucky.

> You respond, rolling a 12 to hit - just enough. She fails to get

> protection from the gloves (another 8- activation) and you do 29 STUN, 7

> BODY reduced to 16 STUN, 0 BODY by her defenses. One more point of

> damage would have left her both stunned and unconscious - as it is, she

> has 1 STUN remaining but is still up and fighting. You do no knockback.

Bloody hell! I wasn't expectng to do quite that much. :-O

• 5 weeks later...

Easy in, easy out?

Nemo followed Tifa as they crawled up the sloping maintenance, trying

hard not to concentrate too much on the interesting view. Getting a bed

for the night hadn't been a problem with the money he'd picked up from

the mugger, and the two of them had meet up without the problems the

next night. Wedge was back at the Seventh Heaven ready to run

intererence on the surveillance systems in the security station, and

Tifa had then lead Nemo here, to the entrance to the supply tunnels.

It only took a couple of moments to make it up to the supply tunnel

proper (which the trains ran through), and Tifa climbed back to her

feet, shaking her muscles out a bit. She'd changed out of her bar maids

outfit from last night, and was wearing a black jump suit, and a pair of

gloves that looked to Nemo to contain a materia slot each. At his best

guess, the two slots would probably act as paired. A glittering green

jem sat in one of the slots, with a pale blue companion sitting in the

other.

She turned to look at him. "Right, we're about half a mile from the base

here. If you hear a train coming, drop down into the service pit between

the lines and stay there till it's gone - you won't get much time to

respond, as they travel pretty fast." She reached into a pocket, and

drew out two more materia. "I also thought you might find these useful."

She passed the two stones over.

Nemo took each in turn and 'felt' at them. One was the Fira stone from

last night, the other felt like a barrier spell - good for defending

from physical attacks.

"Thank you." Nemo said as he clipped the two gems into his sword. "Let's

get moving, we don't want to be here any longer than we have to be." He

said as he started moving along the tracks towards their target.

Tifa nodded as they headed down the tunnel towards their goal. They

travelled for a while, and Tifa was just pointing out the tunnel exit in

the distance that they would be using when there was a whistling noise

from the tunnel behind them.

"Down!" Tifa's voice was sharp, but Nemo had already realised what was

happening, and dropped along with her. Moments later a blur passed over

head and came to a stop at the entrance ahead of them.

"Damn." Tifa's voice was low now, but her tone carried weight. "That's a

passenger train, not one of the automated supply vehicles - they must

have moved the transfer forward."

She turned to Nemo, "What's the plan? We can't get through that entrance

easily with a ruddy great train parked on it, and we need to act

fast..."

"The way I see it, we can go through the train itself, or under it."

Nemo paused. "If we go through, we stand a good chance of losing the

element of surprise, so going under would seem like the best option."

Nemo considered for a second, then moved towards the hatch. He tried to

remove the hatch as quietly as possible, before sneaking into the

carriage.

The door barely made a noise as Nemo lifted it, then slipped through the

opening into the carriage. No-one else was around, and the door into the

Security Station stood open. Tifa quickly slipped through the hatch

behind him, and the two of them stood silently for a moment in the

train.

A voice could be heard drifting in from the security station, the deep

in tone and used to being in command. "I don't care what your time table

says, little man. I have the correct papers here, signed by Tseng

himself. We've come early to pick up the girl to avoid any possible

rescue attempts."

Nemo and Tifa glanced at each other, and seeing the recognition, nodded.

They both knew Tseng's name - he was the head of the TURKs, Shinra's

elite unit of trouble shooters.

Nemo quickly signalled to Tifa to get hidden while doing the same

himself. He figured that if they waited until the train was moving to

make their move then the girl would already be on the train and the

guards would have difficulty calling for reinforcements.

The two of them rapidly took cover in the back of the carriage, where

they would be out of sight of the doors.

After a couple of minutes a squad of 5 Shinra grunts entered the

carriage, with a tall woman standing among them. She was tall, wearing a

simple one piece dress with long brown hair. Following close behind was

a huge man in a dark blue suit, bald headed and wearing sun glasses.

"Damn flunkies!" The big man exclaimed as the doors closed.

The grunts, the woman and the man all took up seats near the door way of

the carriage, out of sight of, and apparently unaware of, Tifa and Nemo.

Nemo and Tifa waited until the train had been up to speed for a full

minute before starting to move...

Nodding to each other, the two then sprang forwards, Nemo to the right,

Tifa to the left. Nemo's sword came slashing round in a horizontal arc,

catching one of the grunts square on the side of the head, and

ricocheting his face off the window. The helmet probably saved his life,

but he was still badly wounded and Nemo reckoned he wouldn't be getting

up for a very long time.

On the other side, Tifa's foot swept round in a practice perfect

roundhouse, catching her opponent dead in the solar plexus. The armour

robbed the kick of it's killing force, but the grunts eyes rolled up

into his head as he slipped off his seat none the less.

In front of them, the remaining Shinra troops scrambled to their feet,

while the Turk slowly rose, his shades flashing in the floursecent

lighting. "Zangan-Ryu style. And a Soldier trained swordsman.

Interesting."

He stood back, watching and calculating as the fight with the grunts

continued.

Tifa's foot lashed out again in a side kick, but this time her new

opponent was ready for the blow. It caught him on the hip as he slipped

to one side, obviously causing some pain, but failing to drop him.

Meanwhile, Nemo's sword cut across on the backswing, impacting with the

chestplate of the grunt in front of him with tremendous force. The

chestplate shattered under the assault, saving the life of it's wearer

but not his consciousness.

The swordsman facing Tifa flung his sword in a desperate arc as he

staggered backwards, the blade clipping her and leaving a thin trail of

blood as the surprise angle of the blow slipped through her defenses.

The only other standing grunt, seeing his friends going down like ten

pins, flicked his rifle to fully auto and pointed the muzzle at Nemo.

"Eat lead, scumball!" he cried as he pulled the trigger.

The rifle roared in the confined space, spitting bullets at Nemo as he

continued forwards up the carriage. Nemo slipped aside from the line of

fire with ease. Off to his side, Tifa continued her assault on the other

conscious grunt, who tried desperately to dodge out of the way. Too slow

for the boxing bar maid, he crashed to the floor - still conscious, but

looking more than a little woozy.

Nemo's sword swept round again, carrying on it's continuous motion,

clipping the gunman as he frantically ducked. The grunts shoulder armour

crunched under the impact, but saved him from the brunt of the blow and

he brought his rifle back up to bear as best in could in the close

quarters.

Out of the corner of his eye, Nemo could just catch a glimpse of Tifa's

foot lashing out several times at her prone target, taking advantage of

his lack of mobility. The sound of three hefty blows landing could be

heard. Unfortunately his attention was taken up elsewhere as his

opponent pulled the trigger for a second time.

Too close to dodge all of the bullets, Nemo felt a path of fire burn

along his left hand side. The wound wasn't deep, but the pain was

excrutiating, and for a moment his vision clouded over red. As his

vision cleared, he saw that Tifa had already closed with the gunman - he

looked to be staggering from a blow, but managed to barely sidestep the

followup kick.

Behind the three fighters, the large bald man firmly but gently moved

Aeris round behind him, taking a moment to test that the handcuffs round

her wrists were still solidly attached.

Shaking off the pain, Nemo brought his sword done in a final overhead

stroke, smashing the gunman to the floor with a gaping wound in his

chest.

(Good armour,) thought Nemo. (Even that last one doesn't look fatally

wounded.)

The Turk clapped slowly. "Not bad, not bad. But I've been boxing since

before you two were born. Don't make me lay the smackdown on you."

Behind him stood Aeris, who looked surprisingly calm given the

situation. For a moment, she caught Nemo's eye, and he thought she was

about to say something - but nothing came out.

"That's very nice for you." Nemo said with a polite smile. "Just out of

interest, did you personally go out and kill all those people just so

you could kidnap the young lady behind you, or did you just capitalise

on the activities of a genuine serial killer?"

The Turk grimaced as if Nemo had hit a nerve. "I ain't the guy waving

the giant pig sticker around, neighbour. And just so you know - she

ain't being kidnapped."

"Terribly sorry. 'Arrested'. My mistake." Nemo grinned at the bald guy

before glancing back towards the girl. "Excuse me, my dear, did you

volunteer to be used in painful medical experiments by Hojo, or are you

being taken against your will?"

Before Aeris could speak, the Turk cut in. He ground out the words like

crushed rocks. "She's not going to Hojo."

Aeris smiled calmly at Nemo.

Nemo looked back to the bald guy with obviously feigned surprise,

"Really?" He asked, "Where, pray tell, is she to be taken then?".

"A trial. A public trial. The kind of public trial Hojo can't steal

people from." The Turk's scowl looked like it had been chiseled into his

features now. "I wouldn't give a rabid dog to Hojo!" He spat out.

"Well. Colour me surprised. A demonstration of integrity and basic human

decency from a Shinra poodle. I'm truly impressed!" Nemo perfomed a

little mocking bow as he spoke. "Unfortunately I'm far from convinced

that the type of trial you speak of can actually exist."

"OK, kid. It looks like you're not one of Hojo's lab experiments like I

thought from the eyes. But I've got a job to do here, and I plan to do

it. Either we slow down for a moment and you two get off nice and

peaceful like, or I smack both of you down and roll you unconscious out

the doors." He smacked his fists together. "Your choice."

"I think I'll take the third option thanks." Nemo said, smiling evilly

before attacking.

As Nemo spoke, a wind whipped up around him, carrying him slightly off

the ground, and a glowing circle of force appeared around his feet. The

Turk cursed as he recognised the signs of Materia usage, and then hoped

to one side as Tifa came in low, looking to take his legs out.

Still off balance, he continued back pedalling as the Fira spell erupted

from Nemo's sword, the stream of fire passing in front of him and

blowing a hole in the front of the train. Aeris hunkered down behind the

front seats, dodging the odd piece of flaming debris.

Tifa continued without pause, her other leg sweeping forwards in a

second attempt to throw her foe to the ground, but he was ready now -

casually hopping over her leg, he dealt a swift left cross in to her

jaw, snapping her head to one side, but not connecting cleanly enough to

do serious damage.

Nemo swiftly took advantage of the Turk's distraction, his sword

slashing forwards and taking the big man high in the chest. The force of

the blow smashed him backwards into the wall at the front of the

carriage, leaving a large bleeding scar.

The big man looked up, his scowl still firmly in place. "Have you any

idea how much these suits cost? Tseng's going kill me for this!"

Pushing off the back wall, he propelled himself at Nemo, who barely

dodged the flying fist. Stepping round between the Turk and Aeris, Tifa

then firmly planted a foot in the man's back, staggering him once more.

To her surprise and frustration, he kept his footing, and somehow

managed to twist so that he could keep his eye on both opponents.

"Hmm... not bad little girl. Your Zangan-Ryu skills are good, but you

lack the power of a real fighter!"

Tifa snorted in contempt at him.

Nemo's sword swept round again, but the boxer slipped under the blade

and his fist swept forwards towards Nemo's face.

The impact was incredible. Nemo just about managed to bring his bracers

up to protect his face, but the blow smashed both arms back into his

head, lifting him off the ground and sending him flying 4 metres back

down the carriage. Somehow, he managed to both keep hold of his sword

and roll back onto his feet. Tifa was still slamming punches into the

man's back, but he seemed to be paying almost no heed to them.

As Nemo charged back into the fight, the Turk calmly stepped forwards,

brushed Nemo's arms (and therefore sword) aside with his right forearm

and prepared to deliver a left to the gut. Even as he did so, he angled

his body just enough to take minimal damage from a kick Tifa slammed

into his back.

His fist sunk deep into Nemo's gut, leaving the swordsman gasping on the

floor, barely hanging on to consciousness.

"Nemo!" Tifa's voice rang out, and a whirlwind sprang up around her.

Green light flashed out over both her and Nemo, and Nemo felt his wounds

closing and his breath return - but the action wasn't without it's cost.

As Tifa cast her magic, the Turk stepped forwards once more.

"That's enough of that, miss." he grated, his fist plowing into her, and

driving her to one knee. Her head span and her vision went black for a

moment, only recovering as she saw his fist flashing towards her once

more. Desperate, she lurch to one side, avoiding the blow. Behind the

Turk, out of the corner of her eye, she saw the newly healed Nemo shake

off his injuries and kippup back onto his feet.

"I'm going to mess you up *real* good!" growled Nemo as he moved towards

the turk.

A powerful battle aura flared up around Nemo, and the whole compartment

appeared to go dark as he lept forwards through the air. A crackling

afterimage of white light streamed behind his sword blade as he brought

it sweeping round in a vast arc of blazing light.

The Turk took one look at the sword and dived sideways as the blade

descended. With a noise like a thousand cat's attacking a black board,

the sword continued through the space there the Turk had been, continued

through the floor of the train, and swang round completing the circle

and sliced through the walls and ceiling too. The corner of the train

the Turk had dived into, supported now by only one wheel span off the

track and dissappeared behind them and ricocheted off the tunnel wall,

carrying the suited man out of sight - while the rest of the train, now

with only three wheels started grinding to a slow halt, a huge shower of

sparks erupting through the now open front of the carriage.

"Ladies, I think it's about time we made an exit." Nemo said, while

looking in concern at the remains of the train carriage. "We need to

slow this thing down enough to jump off." He continued as he headed for

the driver's cabin.

There and Back Again

The tunnel was dark, dank, and dismal. The faint smell of hot metal

drifting down the tunnel towards them from the train wreck they'd just

left didn't really help either.

Nemo stood to one side as Tifa checked Aeris over, and a brief pantomime

went one between the two girls until Tifa clicked. "Of course," she

said. "Silence. Knowing Aeris was capable of using materia, they decided

to play it safe." The girl next to her nodded.

"But you're OK otherwise?" Tifa asked. Aeris nodded to her. Tifa smiled

in relief, and then turned back to Nemo.

"OK, what's the plan?" Tifa looked both pleased and pensive. "Your plan

to get Aeris back was great, and saved us I don't know how trouble from

security in the station - but I don't know this part of the tunnels at

all. We must be well above ground level now. Do you want to try and

retrace our steps, or break out of the tunnel."

Nemo looked around. "Let's find the nearest maintenance hatch and get

out into the city. I don't want to be here when Shinra come looking for

us."

Tifa and Aeris both seemed to agree heartily with that one. The small

party headed off, keeping a close eye on the tunnel walls until they

reached a maintenance hatch. The hatch opened to a series of hand holds

on the outside of the tunnel, leading out to some of the pipes between

the upper and lower city. Soon the three of them were out among the web

of conduits and pipes that hung from the upper city like the tendrals of

a jelly fish.

Progress down was slow, and Nemo was glad more than once he didn't

suffer from vertigo. The train had travelled fast, and they were quite a

way above the slums. It was from this viewpoint that they saw the

security alert begin - all across the lower city, alarms started

flashing on the tops of security stations, and Shinra grunts began to

scurry around like ants below them. A system of road blocks and security

cordons was being put in place with frightening speed.

Nemo looked concerned. "We're going to need somewhere to hide when we

get down there. Do you have anywhere prepared that we should aim to get

down near?" he asked Tifa.

Tifa shook her head. "We do, but I don't think we'll be able to get to

it with the city like that. I've never seen this kind of security

response - I can't believe the escape of a slum prisoner could get them

so worked up."

"I think it is reasonably clear that there is more to young Miss

Gainsborough than meets the eye." Said Nemo as he cast a critical glance

at Aeris. "In the mean time we need somewhere to lie low." Nemo started

scanning the city for likely locations to hide.

Aeris smiled at Nemo, but didn't comment. Nemo wasn't sure from her

expression wether she would have done had she been able to.

Then they all heard it - the slow wail of alarms from above them

starting up as well.

"The upper city..." said Tifa. "They _never_ put the upper city on

alert. It upsets the inhabitants too much." She looked at Aeris who

shrugged helplessly.

Nemo looked up from the city below. If they were going to hide, the

dangling confusion here looked a better bet than the teaming city below.

But if they'd put the upper city on alert, they would likely get round

to searching here too.

"Right. Let's find somewhere to hide up here. If we can wait out the

alert we can then try to get back to the lower city." Said Nemo,

beginning to move again.

The trio had barely taken three steps, when Nemo caught a flash of

flying movement out of the corner of his eye. Leaping down from upper

city to lower, in huge, tremendous leaps, was a figure. Dressed in

black, trailing silver hair and a shining sliver of metal 7 feet long,

Nemo didn't get a clear look at the figure - but he didn't need to.

Sepheroth. The hero of the Wutai wars, who'd dissappeared so years ago.

"Well bugger me gently with a chainsaw." Nemo exclaimed softly. "I

don't think the alert up here is for us. I think it's for him." he said,

pointing at the departing form of Sephiroth. "Let's get hidden and wait

for him to lead them all away from us.

The three of them took cover in the the tangled web between cities, and

watched as security continued to scour the city beneath them. It looked

like at would take hours, and after a while Tifa laid down on the

conduit they were standing on. "Unless you have any bright suggestions,

I'm going to take a nap."

"Good idea." Agreed Nemo. "You two get some sleep. I'll keep watch."

Having said this, Nemo went back to watching the security forces in the

city below scurrying like ants.

Hours stretched past. Eventually, the new day dawned over the city. Not

much light made it down to the undercity, but enough for the change to

be obvious. People began moving around in greater numbers as the morning

rush hour began to get underway. The three of them had taken it in turns

to nap, and now all of them felt slightly more refreshed.

"We could try and slip into the rush hour crowds," Aeris suggested.

Nemo nodded. "Good idea. Glad your voice has recovered by the way." Nemo

smiled at her before turning to Tifa. "Where are we aiming for? The more

of the journey we can do up here the less time we have to spend avoiding

guards in the city."

Aeris smiled. Tifa looked thoughtful. "We've got a safe house in Sector

5. Barret will have left any messages at a drop point nearby - maybe

he'll be able to tell us what's going on, if nothing else."

"Sounds good." Nemo agreed. "Let's get this over with, the advantage of

rush hour will be gone if we move to slowly." That said, Nemo started

moving towards sector 5.

Progress was swift, and the trio soon arrived above their destination.

They picked their way down to a street level alley, and then Tifa turned

to the others. "It might be best if you two wait here for a moment. I

think I'm probably the least recognizable of us, and I'd like to see

what Barrett's left in the drop box."

Nemo agreed, and Tifa left him and Aeris behind. Nemo then turned to

Aeris, "So then Miss Gainsborough, I'm sure you've been expecting this

question, and I'm fairly certain what the answer is, but I'd like to

hear it from you. Are you guilty of the murder charges against you?" He

asked.

Aeris looked far away, and her voice was sad. "No. Of course not." Her

eyes came up to meet Nemo's, and something about them tugged deep

inside them. They had no Mako taint, but they had power, none-the-less.

She kept his gaze. "At least one of the deaths wasn't a murder at all."

"Interesting." Said Nemo. "I'd like to hear more on that, but right now

I'm concerned that there may still be a murderer wandering around the

city." Nemo paused. "I said before that either Shinra capitalised on the

existance of a serial killer who was already operating, or they arranged

the deaths themselves. I was rather hoping you would be able to

enlighten me as to which?"

"I don't know," she said, her voice soft. "I know that the person sent

to murder me died, and I didn't know who he was or where he came from.

He carried a short, straight edged sword and wore a black suit and hood

with a cloth across his mouth as a mask."

As she talked Nemo felt the stirrings of a memory and collapsed under

the painful assault of knowledge.

...he was standing in a forest glade, the night dark and raining.

Lightning flashed down nearby, impacting close enough that the ground

beneath his feet shock. He was bleeding from several wounds, and

twisting back and forth in the middle of the clearing trying to look in

all directions at once.

In the forest around him, black shapes slipped back and forth, and then

suddenly, as the next lightning bolt hammered down, the shapes leapt

into the clearing as one.

6 figures, all clothed in black, carrying short straight edged blades.

Moving in lazyily crossing circles, they surrounded him, slowly closing.

He knew that he wasn't good enough to take all of them, and with the

calmness of imminent death he raised his sword into fighting position

one last time.

And then, down from the sky plummeted his dues ex machina. Sephiroth

dropped, hair billowing behind him, Masamune outstretched in his hand

with materia studded around it's hilt.

"Ultima." said the Soldier.

There was a flash of green...

...and Nemo's eyes snapped back open. He was lying on the floor of the

alleyway, Aeris standing over him anxiously.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Nemo stood, ignoring the question. "I've encountered assassins like the

one you describe." Said Nemo. "Six of them tried to kill me once. They

would have succeded too, if Sephiroth hadn't arrived to help me." Nemo

looked up at Aeris, smiling grimly. "Still, no point in dwelling in the

past when we have more than enough to worry us in the present. Do you

know why anyone would want to kill you?" He asked.

Aeris shook her head. "The only thing I have to go on is what the media

were speculating - that he was killing people for materia. People know

that I do have access to some, so..."

"That still doesn't explain why Shinra took an interest in you." Nemo

said. "I'm missing something here." Nemo shook his head in irritation.

"Sephiroth. What is Sephiroth doing here? If he's been called in to help

find you, then we are in big trouble..." Nemo paused and a thought

struck him, "Are any of your materia particularly unusual or rare? That

might explain why Shinra would want you."

She shook her head. "I don't think any of my materia would interest

them. Hojo's been interested in me for a while, but I've been careful

not to give him any excuses to take me up to the upper city. Until

now... Fortunately, the Turks learnt what was going on, and sent Rude to

get me rather than letting one of Hojo's .... experiments ... do it. And

then you rescued me anyway, so I don't have to worry about wether the

Turks have enough political clout to keep me out of Hojo's hands."

"The Turks might have enough power to keep you safe, but sooner or later

they would be given a direct order to hand you over to Hojo." Said Nemo.

"You're sure you have no idea why Hojo is interested in you? He asked

again. "

Before Aeris had a chance to answer, Tifa came back round the corner.

"We've got problems, boys and girls. Big problems." She shook her head

slightly as if not quite believing something. "They've put out our

descriptions on the streets, with a reward. They're claiming we killed

President Shinra."

Aeris gasped.

Nemo just stared at Tifa in incredulity for a moment before snapping out

of it. "Right. We have to get out of the city, and we have to do it

fast. I don't want to end up being someone's scapegoat." He said.

"What's the best way out of the city?" he asked Tifa.

Tifa looked down at her feet, concentrating hard. "They will have locked

down the lower city gates as soon as the news was put out. Only thing I

can think of off hand would be to try and climb over the wall or try and

head up into the upper city and leave by road or air. Both options will

be guarded, though."

"I suspect that showing our faces in the upper city would be something

akin to suicide." Nemo said. "We'll be better off trying to find a way

over the wall. Any idea where is going to be the easiest place to scale

it?" He asked Tifa.

It was Aeris who answered, to Nemo's surprise. "I think I might know a

way out of the city," she said, "It won't be guarded by Shinra, I don't

think, but it won't be safe either."

Nemo looked at Aeris. "Right now Miss Gainsborough, I can deal with

dangerous if it gets us out of the city undetected." He said. "What's

your plan?"

"This city is built above an area of high Mako concentration. There is a

way down into the Mako caves under the city, and they are large enough

to have exits outside of the city walls - but the Mako levels down there

are dangerously high. The creatures who live there have been mutated by

the mako exposure - they cannot leave the caves as they require the

ambiant mako energy to survive in their mutated state, but they will

probably try and stop us travelling through." Aeris finished her

explaination and looked straight at Nemo. "I don't know if it would be

any safer than facing Shinra security going over the wall, but it would

be another option."

"If we go out through the caves it may be more dangerous in the short

term, but it will mean we can leave the city without Shinra knowing.

They'll still be searching for us here whereas we will be long gone."

Said Nemo. "They've blamed us for killing President Shinra, if they

catch us leaving the city, they're going to chase us down no matter

where we go. I say we go with the caves."

Tifa nodded in agreement. "Makes sense. Aeris, where are these caves?"

"We need to get to the church in Sector 7. There's a way into them from

the church basements - the church is older than Midgar, one of the only

buildings to survive the creation of the city."

"All we need now is to find a way to the church without being seen. It's

a bit of a trek, so it might be safer to climb back onto the conduits to

get there. Unless you two ladies happen to know a sneakier way?" Nemo

grinned at them.

The two of them looked at each other and shook their heads. "Over the

top it is," said Tifa, cracking her knuckles together.

The journey back across the city so uneventful as the trio climbed

through the pipes and conduits hanging down from the saucer above.

"I think it might have been Sephiroth who killed President Shinra," said

Tifa softly as climbed along. "The description put out was for a man in

black with a sword, and I think they've mixed the two incidents

together. But I can't see why Sephiroth would have done it - he was the

hero of the Wutai war, the symbol of Shinra's military."

Nemo thought back quickly. So far, the only two people he could remember

from his former life were Hojo and Sephiroth. Hojo probably wasn't going

to be much help, but Sephiroth might be able to tell him about his past.

"I don't know either." Said Nemo, "But the easiest way to find out would

be to ask him. Besides if he's being hunted by Shinra as well, it might

help us if we stuck together. I'm willing to bet he's out of the city by

now, so our best bet is going to follow him once we escape."

They continued their climb down towards the church building in Sector 7.

Dropping down onto the roof from a nearby conduit, they made their way

inside through a window, and set off towards the floor of the church.

Nemo was surprised to see a carefully tended flower bed in the middle of

the church, a patch of ground where the floor boards had been ripped up.

Aeris gestured towards the flower bed. "That's what I use my materia

for, Nemo. I don't think flower growing materia are high on Hojo's

priority list."

"Hojo is a sadistic madman. I don't think I want to try and second guess

his reasoning." Said Nemo. "If there is anything here you want to take

with you, then grab it, and let's get out of here.

Aeris moved into a back room and rummaged briefly, returning with a

small pack. "I'm ready." Given she was about to leave her home and

everything she'd ever known behind, she was remarkably calm.

The party moved off towards the back of the church, Aeris leading them

into the vestry and then down through a trap door into a basement. The

rocky room was bare and cold, and the back wall looked like at had been

smashed forwards into the basement at some point in the past. Nemo was

impressed - something must have hit the wall pretty hard from the other

side to have that kind of effect.

Tifa came through the trapdoor last, swinging it shut behind her, and

all three of them spent a moment looking at the eerie blue-ish green

glow flooding in from the hole in the wall.

"No need for lights, at least," said Tifa. She didn't sound

outstandingly happy.

Nemo stepped through the hole in the wall and looked around. "Rather

beautiful, isn't it?" He said, then looked back at Aeris, "I can see why

you like it. Which way do we need to go?"

The cavern was formed of smooth, flowing, rock formations, as if they

rock had been poured out and then frozen in place before it had a chance

to settle. The strange light reflected some it's smooth surfaces, and

all around the cavern little sparks of light marked crystal structures.

Aeris looked around and then turned back to Nemo and smiled. "I don't

know, I'm afraid. I know that the caves come out in some places outside

the city, but I've never explored very far into them. The creatures down

here can get a bit aggressive on occassion."

As if to punctuate her speech a small red furred rodent like creature

scurried out of a side tunnel and stopped to glare at them. After a

moment to opened it's mouth wide, and breathed a jet of flame about the

size of a cigerette lighters, obviously expecting some response to it's

mighty display of power.

"Well, this one certainly has the attitude." Nemo said with a small

smile. "It's almost cute, but I'm sure he's not the top of the food

chain down here so keep an eye out." Nemo looked around the cave. "That

way looks as good as any." He said, pointing to a passageway and

starting to walk. "Let's see if we can't find a way out."

• 2 weeks later...

You get to wait a week while the player goes on holiday ;).

Tim, who plays Nemo is dissappearing off with his lovely lady this coming week, and inconviently leaving us half way through a turn.

There should be an update fairly soon after that, including a moment of plot revelation (dun dun dah!).

And maybe some angst, depending on Nemo's mood.

Michael

Thought I might as well give some character sheets as teasers while you're waiting - firstly, our hero as he currently stands. (In keeping with the FF computer games and the plot I've chosen, I'm giving frequent and fairly large xp awards).

Nemo

Player: Tim

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

17 DEX 21

18 CON 16

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

18/23*PRE 8

18 COM 4

9 PD 5 Totals: 15(25)/r6(16)

9 ED 5 Totals: 15(25)/r6(16)

4 SPD 13

8 REC 0

36 END 0

34 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

7" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 103

* Value after slash includes bonus from Cape

Cost Power

12 Limit Breaks: Multipower: Each use of a Limit Break power uses 30 Limit Gauge Points

1u 1) Cleave!: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 +1 (4 1/2d6 w/STR); plus Leaping +10" (16" forward, 8" upward); Must spend END on both Killing Attack and Leaping

1u 2) Upwards Spiral: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4)

32 Limit Gauge: Absorb (Physical and Energy) 3d6 to Limit Gauge

(The first time you are hit in a segment, roll 3d6. You can absorb that many points of BODY over the course of the segment to your 'Limit Gauge'. Once you've absorbed 30 points, you can activate a Limit Break. You can't absorb more than 30 points, and the points fade at a rate of 5 per 5 mins - unlike FF7, you don't keep your charge indefinately. Absorption is applied before defenses (you can absorb BODY from attacks that do not hurt you), and does not reduce the damage you take.)

5 Mana Reserve: Endurance Reserve (40 END, 4 REC) Reserve: (8 Active Points) REC: (4 Active Points); Only While In Deep Sleep (-2)

3 Anime Leap!: Leaping +3" (7" forward, 4"; included in total above)

14 Big Ass Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6 +1 total w/STR), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Min 15 (-3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2)

6 That Sword's Big Enough to Hide Behind!: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); OAF (Focus (Big Ass Sword); -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2)

8 Bracers and Shoulder Pad: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Activation Roll (Covers locations 7-9) 8- (-2), OIF (-1/2)

(Your armor pieces are strong, but don't cover much of your body - they only add to your defenses on a 8- dice roll)

2 Big Red Cape: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)

(You are both harder to impress, and more impressive while wearing big capes. You like your safety blankets :) )

Powers Cost: 84

Cost Skill

(Skills with 0 cost are 'Everyman' skills, that all characters get for free)

0 Acting 8-

3 Analyze: Combat 12-

3 AK: Unknown (INT-based) 12-

1 AK: Unknown (INT-based) 8-

3 Breakfall 12-

3 Climbing 12-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

3 KS: Unknown (INT-based) 12-

1 KS: The Shinra Military (INT-based) 8-

1 KS: Unknown (INT-based) 8-

1 KS: Unknown (INT-based) 8-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 13- (14-)

0 PS: Unknown 11-

1 Seduction 8-

0 Shadowing 8-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Tactics 12-

0 TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles [Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill]

8 +1 with All Combat

5 +1 with HTH Combat

12 +4 with Swords

4 +2 with Cleave!

Skills Cost: 63

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

(Combat Luck represents your luck and experience in combat. Game mechanics wise, it functions exactly as Armour - but only when you're actively fighting. Being ambushed, being completely immobilized, etc will stop the power functioning. The special effect of the power is that while you're fighting nothing quite connects with you solidly.)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 262

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Mako Eyes (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures) [Notes: Listed as 'Not Distinctive In Some Cultures' as only people with a military background would realise the significance.]

5 Distinctive Features: Handsome Enough to Remember (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Hunted: Unknown 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

15 Hunted: Unknown 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area)

15 Hunted: Unknown 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Dependent NPC: Unknown 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

15 Susceptibility: Unknown 1d6 damage, per Phase (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 12

Total Experience Available: 12

Experience Unspent: 0

Tifa! This is a GM sheet rather than a full character sheet, so some of her disads are incorrect (some of them as the same as Nemo's at the moment).

Tifa

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

16 CON 12

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

18 PRE 8

18 COM 4

7 PD 4 Resistant: 13/21/r6/14

7 ED 4 Resistant: 13/21/r6/14

5 SPD 20

6 REC 0

32 END 0

26 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

6" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 98

Cost Power

12 Limit Breaks: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost 10x END (-4)

1u 1) Beat Rush: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (uses END Reserve)

1u 2) Dolphin Uppercut: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Variable Special Effects Water or Physical (+1/4), Double Knockback 2x KB (+3/4) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (uses END Reserve)

10 Limit Gauge: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, all slots: (15 Active Points); Shared Absorption Max (-1/2)

11 1) Absorption 3d6 (Physical), Can Absorb Maximum of 30 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes) (+1/2) (31 Active Points)

11 2) Absorption 3d6 (Energy), Can Absorb Maximum of 30 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes) (+1/2) (31 Active Points)

3 Mana Reserve: Endurance Reserve (20 END, 4 REC) Reserve: (6 Active Points) REC: (4 Active Points); Only While In Deep Sleep (-2)

3 Anime Leap!: Leaping +3" (6" forward, 3" upward) (uses Personal END)

7 Bracers and Shoulder Pad: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Activation Roll (Covers Hands) 8- (-2), OIF (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 59

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Zangan-Ryu Martial Arts

4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 2) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +10 STR to Disarm roll

4 3) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5 4) Flying Kick/Roundhouse Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike

4 5) Punch/Elbow/Knee: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike

3 6) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls

3 7) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +1d6 Strike, Target Falls

Martial Arts Cost: 27

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 13-

0 Acting 8-

3 Analyze: Style 12-

3 AK: Midgar (INT-based) 12-

1 AK: Nibelheim (INT-based) 8-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Climbing 13-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

3 KS: Zangan-Ryu Martial Arts (INT-based) 12-

1 KS: Shinra's Dirty Secrets (INT-based) 8-

3 Persuasion 13-

0 PS: Martial Artist 11-

3 PS: Bar Maid (PRE-based) 13-

3 Seduction 13-

0 Shadowing 8-

3 Stealth 13-

0 TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles [Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill]

8 +1 with All Combat

5 +1 with HTH Combat

6 +2 with Zangan-Ryu Martial Arts

Skills Cost: 54

Cost Talent

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 250

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Mako Eyes (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures) [Notes: Listed as 'Not Distinctive In Some Cultures' as only people with a military background would realise the significance.]

5 Distinctive Features: Handsome Enough to Remember (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Hunted: Unknown 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

15 Hunted: Unknown 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area)

15 Hunted: Unknown 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Dependent NPC: Unknown 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

15 Susceptibility: Unknown 1d6 damage, per Phase (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

• 3 weeks later...

Caves of Light

The party of three moved quickly through the caves, picking tunnels

almost at random while trying to move in a constant direction. Flashes

of movement around them let them know that they were under observation,

but mostly whatever creatures were down here were staying away. The

eerie light lent a strange sheen to proceedings, and while it was

beautiful Nemo could begin to feel it preying on his nerves. The only

person who seemed unaffected was Aeris, who still looked completely calm

and unconcerned.

Continuing forward, the three of them emerged into a large cavern, high

ceilinged and about 30 meters across. In the strange light and the

reflective surfaces, Nemo moved forwards a few meters before realising

three things. Firstly, there appeared to be no other exits from the

room. Secondly, two large birdlike creatures were circling up above

them in the cave. And finally, there was a disturbing growling noise

coming from the tunnel behind them...

Nemo moved into the middle of the cavern and turned to face whatever was

making the noise. "Looks like the upper end of the food chain has caught

up with us. I suspect we're going to have to userp it's position." He said

with a grim smile as he drew his sword.

A large cat prowled out of the cavern entrance. Easily as large as Nemo,

the strips on it's sides match closely the colours of the cave rock.

Overhead, a piercing cry like an eagles rang out, and Nemo got the

strange impression that the three creatures would all ally against them.

He locked eyes with the cat while a mexican stand off began to build.

A soft voice whispered in his ear. "Careful of the Blue Lion. They're

tough, but they have a weakness to energy attacks. The Thunder Birds are

much more vulnerable to physical attacks, but they might rely on their

lightning strikes and not come within range."

Aeris appeared to have some knowledge of the caves denisens. Beside him,

Nemo could feel Tifa tense for combat, and half turn to cover his back

from the birds.

"Everyone ready?" Nemo asked as he charged up his magic.

The Blue Lion bounded forwards at the first sign of the magic, rapidly

covering the ground between it and Nemo. At the same time, one of the

birds plummeted down towards Nemo from behind.

With a loud cry, Tifa lept to meet it, her out stretched foot hammering

into it 3 meters above the ground. There was a nasty crunching of soft

bird bones, and both dropped back down to the ground, Tifa landing

neatly on the balls of her feet while the bird bouncing to a halt at her

feet unconscious. The bird's companion screamed in rage, and a power

bolt of lightning arced out of it's body down to the floor, missing Tifa

as she twisted aside.

Nemo continued powering up the Fira spell as the lion closed, beginning

to wonder if he'd made a mistake in trying to supercharge it at this

point. As the lion reared to bite, the spell finally went off. The Blue

Lion sensed the release of the spell at the last moment and abandoned

it's attack to twist to one side as the immense bolt of flame roared

past it. Had it paused to examine the impact crater in the wall behind

it, it wouldn't have regretted it's decision.

Tifa, always alert to an opponent's distraction, chose that moment to

step in and boot it in the side, but the lion was still twisting and

it's thick hide robbed the blow of it's power.

Nemo ignored defense and finesse, swinging his sword in a mighty

overhand strike that concentrated on nothing but raw power. Fortunately

for him, the Blue Lion was sufficiently distracted that it didn't see

the blow coming. The sword cleaved through flesh and bone, leaving a

gaping scar through the creatures rib cage, a huge but not deep wound.

It looked like it might be fatal, but Nemo didn't have time to look more

closely as a second lightning bolt slamed down from above. Nemo's hair

stood on end, partly from the closeness of the strike, and partly from

Tifa's scream of agony as she collapsed to the cave floor.

"Cure," came a calm, reserved voice from beside him, and the green

healing glow hit Tifa before her body had fully settled to the floor.

Her eyes snapped open and she shook off the effects of the blast,

nodding in thanks to Aeris.

Between the pain of it's wound and the numbers against it, the lion

decided this wasn't the best meal available and ran, leaving a wide

trail of blood as it fled back through the door of the chamber.

Nemo growled and looked up, then pointed his sword directly at the flying

avain. The flaming bolt of a Fira spell struck the thunderbird dead on,

incinerating it before it hit the ground.

Nemo turned to Tifa, "Are you ok? That bolt looked like it hurt." He

asked as he put his sword away.

"Yeah," she said nodding, and catching her breath. "To both." She turned

to Aeris and smiled, "Thank you! I really needed that."

Aeris smiled a bright beaming smile. "No problems. I'm not a fighter,

but I like to think I can help out regardless."

"I don't think anyone here is going to disagree with you on that one. I'm

glad to have you with us." Said Nemo with a smile. "Let's get our breath

back and then move on. This obviously isn't the way out."

"Thank you!" Aeris grinned at Nemo, who was reminded of just how

beautiful both his companions were.

"My pleasure." Nemo replied with a grin of his own as he sat down to

recover for a moment.

"Aeris?" Tifa asked.

"Yes?"

"You seem to know a lot about the creatures down here, but you said

you'd never come far into the caves. How did you learn about them?"

"I dream about them." Aeris smiled at Tifa.

Nemo raised an eybrow, but didn't comment, allowing Tifa to respond.

"Dream about them?" Tifa tried to keep any hint of emotion out of her

voice.

"Yes. I frequently dream of the caves and their inhabitants. Sometimes

there are people in the dreams fighting in the caves, which is where I

learnt the vulnerabilities, sometimes I just watch the creatures living

their lives. They don't need to eat, you know, living this close to a

Mako source and having mutated this far. It gives them much more time to

play than normal animals, and makes them much more peaceable towards

each other."

As Aeris spoke the party continued on down a tunnel, sloping further

down underground.

"I've always wondered why they're so aggressive to outsiders, though.

They seem to have no violence with in the society of the cave, no

fighting or aggression towards each other. What makes them so defensive

about outsiders that they won't even try to reason or communicate with

them?"

"Maybe they've learned to fear humans." Nemo said. "After all, this is

just the sort of place Hojo would love to come to get specimens for his

experiments. His work involves mako infusion, and these creatures would

give him information on the effects of long term mako exposure. If there

are other entrances to this place he might have found one." Nemo paused.

"On the other hand, the creatures may just be highly territorial." He

shrugged and turned to Aeris. "Do you have any other interesting dreams?"

He asked, smiling.

"Yes." Aeris stated. "But I don't remember many of them. I'd dreamt of

the train a few weeks back, so I knew I didn't have to be worried about

you hurting Rude badly, or me being taken to the upper city. Most of the

dreams don't seem to be about the future, though. Some of them are about

the past, some of them I have no idea. And some of them seem to just be

dreams."

"I don't remember my dreams." Said Nemo. "I've yet to decide whether that

is a good thing or not." Nemo turned to look at Aeris. "Shinra will

probably send the Turks after us you know."

"That will be the least of our problems," Aeris said with a smile.

"They're loyal enough that they will obey the order to come after us,

but they will not want to hurt me, and by extention my friends. Oh,

they'll try and stop us alright, but as long as we don't try too hard to

kill or maim them it shouldn't get too nasty."

The tunnel they were in curved round sharply to the right, and Nemo

began to notice a reddish tinge to the crystals of the walls, and the

light they were giving out. It reminded him of something, but as normal

he wasn't able to place what.

"I'll bear that in mind next time we meet them." Nemo said. "The crystals

are becoming more red in colour here, I wonder what causes the colour

change." he pondered idly as he walked onwards.

Aeris stopped to examine them a bit more closely. "I'm not sure.

Normally, I would expect the blue colouring to get stronger and stronger

as we moved towards the centre of the caves. Sometimes tending towards

green if the Mako source is a Magic materia spring. But red... I wasn't

expecting this. But then I've never been to a materia spring - my

knowledge is based on tales told and dreams dreamed."

"Well, if that's the case, maybe it's a summon materia spring, they're red

after all." Suggested Nemo. "In any case, let's be careful, this doesn't

feel right"

"But it can't be!" Aeris was adamant. "Summon materia don't grow in the

springs, like other materia. They're created when a esper choses or is

forced to place their power at anothers command so that they can leave a

high Mako area."

Nemo was sure were the knowledge came from, but on reflection he knew

this to be true.

The tunnel was growing redder now, but all three of them knew that this

was the only tunnel that carried them further in the right direction.

Tifa was looking even more unhappy than when she first entered the

tunnels.

"In which case we should be on our guard." Said Nemo. "I have a bad

feeling about this place." He finished, looking uneasy.

The tunnel behind him collapsed in a roar of falling rock, a cloud of

dust billowing over the three of them.

Nemo coughed a little and quickly looked for the two ladies. "Are you two

ok?" He asked.

"Yes." Aeris' response was swift and calm.

"Unhurt." Tifa's response was equally quick, but she didn't sound happy.

"I don't think that was an accident," said Aeris, looking pointedly down

the tunnel towards the redder areas.

"Yeah." said Nemo. "I got that impression too. My guess is that there is

something nasty a little ways ahead." Nemo shook his head and unsheathed

his sword. "Shall we go and find out what it is?" he asked.

The party moved forwards down the tunnel, all three of them wary and

ready. As they moved forwards, the tunnel grew redder and begin to widen

slightly, and then suddenly expanded into a large cavern about 50 meters

in radius. In the centre of the cavern a natural pedestal of rock thrust

out of the floor, and something from Nemo's hidden past told him that

this is where the materia would form in a Mako spring.

In the centre of the room was a figure with arms crossed and eyes

closed, his chest slowly rising and falling. He could almost have been

asleep had he not been floating in a vertical position a meter above the

pedestal. Humanoid in shape, his features seemed slightly blurred, and

despite a complete lack of clothes he lost no modesty. His skin and long

hair were all different shades of blue.

Nemo found him disturbingly familiar.

As they entered stepped into the cavern, his eye lids snapped open, and

they saw that where his eyes should be were only glowing pits of green

the colour of magic materia.

"You should not have come to defile this place." The voice echoed with

power, filling the whole huge chamber with ease. His hands uncrossed,

and as he opened his palms in front of him blue energy formed spheres

above his hands.

(Ice magic,) thought Nemo.

"We didn't come here to defile anything." Said Nemo. "We just want to get

out of the city above. If you can point us to an exit, we'll get out of

your way."

"Too late for that now, human! You should not have come to this place!"

The spring guardian raised both hands in front of him and let loose a

stream of blue energy at the party.

Nemo jinxed to one side as the beam of energy lanced out towards him,

but he realised even as he did it that the guardians accuracy wasn't up

to the task at this range. The impact of the beam into the cavern wall

lead him to believe that continuing not to be hit would be wise,

however. Beside him, Tifa took advantage of the guardian's distraction

to explode forwards like a sprinter coming off the blocks, covering

almost half the distance across the cavern in a straight line dash,

beforing slowing to a more reasonable pace as the guardian began to

charge a second bolt.

Aeris, calm and slightly smiling even in the middle of a fight, reached

out and touched Nemo as he came back up out of his dodge. "Shield," she

said, and Nemo felt the magical protection form around him. He was

surprised by the level of power he felt her put into the spell - it

would last for some time.

The guardian let loose with a second beam of energy, but Tifa slipped

past it like a boxer slipping past a punch and continued to close the

range.

Nemo charged forwards as the Guardian unleashed yet another blast at

Tifa, who continued to weave her way forwards through the hail of fire.

Tifa's progress was being slowed by her weaving and twisting, but the

distance was closing fast. Noticing the icey claws protruding from the

Guardians fingers, Nemo was wondering if this was a good thing.

Cursing his lack of Mana in his mind, Nemo launched himself forwards

towards his opponent, covering nearly 14 meters in a single, bounding

arc, while Tifa continued her more cautious approach. Then as Nemo's

feet hit the ground, the blue figure finally moved. Upright, and with

it's legs still crossed at the ankles, the figure sped forwards through

the air towards him, clawed hands spread wide.

"You will die for entering this place, human!" stated the blue skinned

figure as he attempted to dismember Nemo, who ducked to one side and

brought his sword swinging round in a blow that would have eviserated a

normal man instantly. There was a nasty grating noise as the blade

connected, like metal on rock, and the impact shuddered up through

Nemo's shoulders.

Looking surprised, the Guardian was flung backwards a good 4 meters by

the blow, but managed to roll to one side as Tifa leapt over with a

dropping axe kick and lash out in response with his claws. The claws bit

deep into Tifa's flesh, and with a grunt of pain she folded up around

the wound and collapsed to the floor.

Smirking, the Guardian levitated back up to his feet, and beckoned Nemo

towards him.

Grimly silent, Nemo leapt forwards and swung his sword down in a mighty

blow. Unfortunately, the Guardian was ready this time, and barely moved

as the sword ploughed into an ice formation on his shoulder. "You'll

have to try harder than that, meat," said the Guardian, grinning evilly.

The Guardian lashed out once more with his claws, and Nemo lent to one

side as they whistled past.

"Pot, kettle..." Nemo muttered under his breath with a strained smile.

His sword came whistling round again, scoring a ringing blow on the

floor. Tifa twitched slightly as she lay curled up on the floor, and

Nemo was vaguely aware of Aeris getting closer behind him.

Nemo sidestepped yet an other claw blow and then saw his opening and

struck. The blow was true, an all-out two-handed swing that caught the

Guardian squarely across the center of the chest, carrying him in a high

arcing flight to land 14 meters away. To Nemo's side, Tifa took the

opportunity to stagger to her feet, and then cast 'Heal' on herself. The

cut across her stomach closed immediately, leaving unmarred skin under a

tear in her top. "He is so going down." Her voice was low and dangerous.

The guardian levitated upright once more, a large but shallow gash

across his torso slowly leaking a thick, blue liquid. "Die!" he hissed,

the icey blue lashing out once more at Nemo and catching his shoulder

armour. The force of the blow twisted him slightly to one side, but did

no real damage.

"I think not." Nemo grated out as he charged back at the creature.

The guardian slide smoothly to one side of the charging swordsman, and

his clawed gleamed in the red light of the cave. Nemo was aware of Tifa

not following him, and Aeris seemed to have moved up to join the bar

maid.

Nemo winced in pain as the gleaming claws slash across his chest,

leaving a thin, bloody gash. Behind him he heard the sounds of Tifa

moving back up to join the fray.

The three combatants circled, the Guardian and Nemo lashing out at each

other as Tifa moved in to try and grasp the blue monster. At the last

moment he twisted to one side, not allowing himself to be immobilsed.

The furious melee continued, the guardian knocking aside Nemo's sword

and then burying his claws in Nemo's gut causing excruciating pain.

Desperate to stop Nemo being struck down as he fought down the pain,

Tifa grabbed the guardian - only to learn something else about him. The

guardian's supernatural strength enabled him to break free of Tifa's

grip without being slowed down.

Nemo tried to lurch to one side as the next blow came in, but was too

slow, catching another scar across his upper arm. The guardian raised

it's hand for a finishing blow, but was distracted by a solid kick in

the small of the back. The guardian span on Tifa, lashing out with yet

another raking blow that caught her shoulder, spinning her away from the

combat. Furious rage laying across her face, she kipp-uped back to her

feet and headed back towards the fight.

Through the pain and the rage, Nemo felt his spirit flooding up within

him, filling him with power...

"I'm going to make you pay for that!" Growled Nemo as he prepared to

attack again.

Light erupted out of Nemo's sword as he brought it up, bleaching the

whole cavern with brilliant white light and smashing in to the

Guardian's jaw with the force of a freight train. Blue ichor splashed in

an arc as the guardian was flung across the cave into the far wall with

bone shattering force.

There was a brief pause as the guardian lay still, and then he twitched,

starting to lever his body back into a sitting position. Nemo stared in

amazement. A blow like that would have left a normal man in two seperate

pieces.

"Did you have to knock him so far?" said Tifa as she took off at a

sprint towards the guardian before he could recover his poise.

"My apologies." Said Nemo as he followed her.

The Guardian looked up, blinking at the two charging figures. His face

looked different, and more familiar somehow - and then Nemo placed it.

His eyes had faded from solid green of a magic materia, to human mako

infused eyes.

"What the..." the figure started scrambling to his feet and then stopped

as he caught sight of his blue tinged body. "I've gone blue!"

Nemo paused in his charge, and settled into a wary, ready stance. "Are you

ready to talk now?" he called out.

Just a rambling comment on the game so far.

Never underestimate your players luck.

You would not believe how lucky Tim is being in this game - and I'm doing all the (electronic) dice rolling at my end. He rarely gets hit despite largely ignoring defense, smacks his opponents with great regularity even when he has the lower CV, and occassionally pulls out the most extreme damage rolls (that final blow to the guardian was 22 BODY/88 STUN on a 4d6+1K attack) when he needs them.

Tifa, on the other hand, comes across as being the incompetant damsel in distress, despite the fact that on paper she is actually the better fighter - faster, does as much damage and has a martial arts package. Doesn't seem to help her, though.

Never mind...

Anyway, hope you're enjoying the story so far.

For those of you who are interested, the Guardian used the Lesser Demon stats from the HERO Bestiary. The only change was to remove his damage shield. I was expecting him to give them a better fight...

Michael

Dawning of the Light

The Blue Guardian struggled slowly to his feet, wincing at the wounds

across his body.

"Tempest?" he asked, and with that one word Nemo collapsed to the

ground, his sword clattering abandoned to the stone cave floor beside

him.

Tempest opened his eyes as he felt rain pounding down on him. Just for a

moment, he had the strangest feeling he should be somewhere else - but

it faded quickly as he surveyed the forest around him with practiced,

professional eyes. There was nothing obviously wrong, but his instincts

told him that his enemy was still out there. The man beside him seemed

to agree.

"Tempest, we've got company." The man's voice was low and level.

Strangely, it took Tempest a moment to remember Typhoon's name - but as

soon as he had, it fit as naturally as a glove. The man was tall and

broad shouldered, and had a two-handed sword the twin of Tempest's own

drawn and ready. His eyes showed the tell-tail signs of Mako infusion,

and his blonde hair was cropped to a military buzz. Both of them wore

the uniform armour of Soldier's special forces unit with practiced ease.

Memories flowed easily through his mind - they had been hitting a Wutai

unit behind enemy lines, depending on surprise and superior skill to

cause heavy damage before pulling back. The hit had gone to plan, and

the team had split up into pairs as planned to evade persuit as they

left. But now, something was following them... something or someone that

neither of the two had been able to get a clear sighting of, despite

their Soldier training.

"Whoever they are out there, they're damn good." Tempest said under his

breath while scanning the area they were moving through.

The two of them continued on towards the pick up point, scanning the

trees as they went. Tempest reckoned they were about half a mile away

from their destination when the first shuriken came flying in. Reacting

on instinct, Typhoon batted the projectile out of the air with his

sword.

Tracing the path of the projectile back, the two of them spotted a

figure in black readying a second throwing star - and now that they knew

what they were looking for, they rapidly began to spot more and more of

them, leaping from tree to tree through the forest after them - silent

as shadows, black as the night, their faces covered by hoods and black

cloth masks. They seemed both familiar and yet new to Tempest, but one

thing was clear - they were heavily outnumbered by those he could see,

and there were probably a lot more of them he hadn't spotted yet.

Shaking off the feeling of deja-vu, Tempest settled into a battle stance.

"My, haven't we become popular all of a sudden" He said, idly to Typhoon.

Typhoon grinned. "Bit too popular if you ask me. I wasn't especially

planning to make a heroic last stand today - race you to the pick up

point?"

"You're on." Said Tempest as he started running, still on guard for any

attack.

The two of them plunged on through the forest, each taking a side to

cover with the ease of practiced team work. Tempest slipped easily into

the rhythm of a long distance runner, covering the distance with calm

precision.

They never even saw the trap unto it was sprung. Some how, a contingent

of the black clad figures had managed to get ahead of them, and as they

burst into a clearing, the rain of shuriken started, darts of steel

flicking out of the rain in flashes of reflected moonlight. Both of the

the men brought their swords round in parrying arcs before them,

ricocheting projectiles off in all directions - but there were too many,

too fast. Behind him, Tempest heard a nasty gurgle from Typhoon and the

sound of a body falling to the floor. Warm blood trickled down him from

several wounds.

And then...

...he was standing in a forest glade, the night dark and raining.

Lightning flashed down nearby, impacting close enough that the ground

beneath his feet shock. He was bleeding from several wounds, and

twisting back and forth in the middle of the clearing trying to look in

all directions at once.

In the forest around him, black shapes slipped back and forth, and then

suddenly, as the next lightning bolt hammered down, the shapes leapt

into the clearing as one.

6 figures, all clothed in black, carrying short straight edged blades.

Moving in lazyily crossing circles, they surrounded him, slowly closing.

He knew that he wasn't good enough to take all of them, and with the

calmness of imminent death he raised his sword into fighting position

one last time.

And then, down from the sky plummeted his dues ex machina. Sephiroth

dropped, hair billowing behind him, Masamune outstretched in his hand

with materia studded around it's hilt.

There was a flash of green...

...and as the glow of the healing spell faded, Nemo/Tempest found

himself looking up into the gentle eyes of Aeris. Beside him, Tifa was

shouting at the confused looking guardian.

"What have you done to him!" She yelled, fists raised in front of her

again.

Nemo/Tempest smiled back at Aeris, before attempting to stagger back to

his feet. "Well, that was educational." He said to himself as he levered

himself upright. "He didn't do anything to me Tifa. He just triggered some

bad memories that I'd forgotten, that's all." Nemo/Tempest turned to the

blue figure. "I thought you were dead. Why are you blue and homicidal

instead?" Nemo asked him.

"Hey, I'm not homicidal. I think." Typhoon rubbed his jaw in

comtemplation and nearly sliced himself open with the icey blue claws on

his hand. "Damn it! Anyway, I don't have a clue. Last thing I remember,

we were in a forest getting chased by some ninja dudes and then I got

hit in the throat by a piece of metal. I have some vague memory of

Sephiroth dropping out of the sky, and then everything going green."

He looked down. "Then I wake up in some weird glowy mako spring, with a

blue body bleeding anti-freeze and feeling battered as hell."

"Cura," said Aeris. The guardian's wounds closed immediately.

"Er... thanks. Tempest - what the hell is going on?"

"I'm not entirely sure. I'm reasonably willing to bet that Hojo has

something to do with the reason you're blue and formerly homicidal, but

beyond that all we know for certain is that president Shinra is dead, and

in all likelyhood he was killed by Sephiroth." Said Tempest/Nemo. "We were

trying to get outside the city through these caves when we ran into you.

You said something about not letting us defile this place then you

attacked." Tempest/Nemo smiled. "We gave you a good kicking, and when you

regained consciousness you were making sense again. Like old times

really." he said with a small chuckle.

"Nemo," said Tifa. "Why is this guy calling you Tempest? And what's this

about Hojo?"

Tempest ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "He's calling me

Tempest because it's my name." He said quietly. "Until he said it just

now, I couldn't remember what my name was." Tempest looked up at the three

others in turn and then looked away again before continuing. "A few days

ago I woke up in the Sector 7 train station waiting room. I couldn't

remember anything relating to myself before that point. Hell, I had to

find a mirror just to learn what I looked like. I could remember skills, I

knew I could fight, I had my sword and armour and I could remember current

events up to just after the war finished. So I gave myself a name, and I

went out to find mercenery work. I knew I had to have been in Soldier

because I recognised the glow in my own eyes, but I didn't think going to

them for information would be safe. I've been remembering bits and pieces

in flashes over the last few days. I remember all sorts of stuff about

Shinra training and tactics. I remember being experimented on by Hojo,

that's why I was so interested in getting Aeris out of there. I remember

the last mission Typhoon and I were on during the war. We were making our

way out to the extraction point when we were attacked by a group of ninja.

All dressed in black, all with short swords and shuriken. We were losing,

Typhoon here caught a shuriken to the throat, and then, just as we were

about to be overwhelmed, Sephiroth arrived and took them out. I don't

remember anything after that until a few days ago." Tempest paused for

a moment. "As for Hojo, if he got to me, then he could have gotten to

Typhoon, and I don't know anyone else who does experiments with mako

infusion that could have caused him to change blue the way he has."

Tempest stopped and looked up at the others waiting for their reaction.

Tifa managed to look both surprised and as if pieces were falling into

place at the same time. "So that's why you had the skills and the

knowledge - but not the rep. And why you were willing to help rescue

Aeris for so little money."

She paused as Typhoon fell bonelessy to the floor. "Hey, that's exactly

what you did when he mentioned your name!"

Aeris stood looking at Nemo calmly.

Tempest moved over to check on Typhoon. As he was doing so he looked up at

Aeris. "You don't appear too surprised by all this?"

Aeris tipped her head to one side slightly as if considering. "No, not really." She smiled. "I'm not really sure how mercenary swordsmen are supposed to act so I have very few expectations."

Typhoon groaned slightly, and sat up as Tempest knelt down beside him. "You just had to remind me, bro, didn't you? I remember Hojo now. Not something I really felt the need to be reminded of. I just wish I could remember anything else... now that I've had a moment to catch myself - the only things I can remember are that last run through the forest and some flashes of being in a tank in a lab."

"I know one thing, though." He continued, "I didn't have this body in the lab. It feels... different. And it has overlays of something more primal in my mind, too. I feel an urge to protect this place, and the mako springs in general. It's as if I'm driven to protect the planet in some way. I'm also become instinctively aware of knowledge about myself - I know that I can project icey bolts of energy, and that if I'm taken out of a high mako area I'll quickly die. This is really, really, weird."

"I could never work out whether the memories of Hojo are from before or

after that mission. I can't imagine I'd continue to work for Shinra after

they put me through that though." Tempest shook his head. "Wait, you can't

leave here?" he asked Typhoon.

"He seems to have become an esper," said Aeris. "A creature of magic. I

can't see how it's possible, but if it's true the only way for him to

leave here would be to place himself in a summoning materia. At that

point he would be able to travel, and could function briefly in the

world outside when fed mana by who ever carried the materia in a slot.

I'm not sure if we'd be able to communicate with you while you are in

the materia," she said to Typhoon, "it's not something I really have any

experience of. Of course, next time we came to a high mako area - poof,

you'd be able to operate independantely again."

"Not exactly the greatest of news. The question is, how the hell did you

end up like this in the first place? But I don't think there is any way to

answer that right now." Tempest looked at the others. "So. What do we do

now? Firstly, Typhoon, do you want to do what Aeris suggested? And

secondly, Where do we head for once we get out of Midgar? Any

suggestions?"

Typhoon considered for a while. "I don't think I want to stay here, now

that I'm lucid. It's not like there's anyone to talk to, and going

indefinately without company wouldn't be any fun at all. Being put in a

materia doesn't sound too much fun either, but it sounds like I might be

able to communicate with whoever carries me - and even if I can't, I'll

at least be able to spend some time with people when we reach high mako

areas."

"As to where we go next, I can't really help with my memory so crippled.

I remember the basic geography, but not any personal details."

Tifa shrugged. "I'm afraid I'm a city girl at heart, and have been for

most of my adult life. My home village is a long way from here."

Aeris nodded. "I've never left Midgar before - I'm afriad I can't help

you much."

Tempest's memories of the area were surprisingly detailed when he

thought about it. He soon realised why - his military training seemed to

have included an analysis of likely ways of Midgar being attacked, and

the corresponding defenses. Unfortunately, the topographical knowledge

of the area didn't seem to be answering any of the questions he had

about where. Small villages dotted the surroundings, but he remembered

very little of them apart from the fact that Shinra's military rated

them as 'expendable' in case of attack - the people would be given

instructions to evacuate to Midgar.

"We'll head to Kalm." he said. "It's small enough not to have any Shinra

troops stationed there, and large enough that we won't cause a stir. We

should be able to stock up on provisions too. Then we need to try to work

out where Sephiroth went, and what the hell he's up to." Tempest turned to

Aeris and Tifa. "I think I'll carry on using the name 'Nemo' for now. I

don't know if there are people looking for 'Tempest' and I'd rather not

find out the hard way." Tempest, now Nemo again looked back at Aeris,

"Aeris? How do we go about putting Typhoon here in a materia?" he asked.

"We ask him to change into a materia. If he has actually become an

Esper, he will be able to do it at will. Alternatively, we could beat

him to the point of death and it would happen as an instinctive response

- but I don't think that would be a good idea." She beamed at Typhoon.

"Damn straight." Typhoon replied under his breath.

"You'd probably best show us how it's done then." said Nemo, smirking as

he spoke. "Then we should get out of here and head for Kalm."

Typhoon shrugged. "Lets see what happens. You got a free slot on that

sword of yours to strap me into?"

Nemo made certain that only the fira materia was attached to his sword

before nodding once. "Ready and waiting." He said.

Typhoon walked over to Nemo and looked at the sword doubtfully. "Well,

here goes nothing."

There was a flash of red light which swiftly contracted towards the

materia slot on Nemo's sword, leaving a gleaming red crystal.

There was a brief pause, and then all three of them saw the red veins in

the cave withdrawing faster and faster towards the central pedastal,

leaving a dazing pure blue-green light. Within moments, the red taint

was gone, and a green gem lay on top of the pedastal.

"That seemed to work, though we appear to have an unexpected byproduct."

said Nemo as he wandered over to the pedestal. "Anyone care to place a bet

on this being some kind of ice materia?" he said as he picked it up. *Are

you there Typhoon?* He asked silently in his mind.

There was a brief pause and then Typhoon reappeared in a burst of red

light. "Could you hear me?" he asked.

"No. Could you hear me?" Nemo responded.

"No, not a thing. It was odd though... I didn't feel constrained at all

while I was in the gem. It felt very natural." Typhoon glanced down at

the slot on Nemo's sword. "You don't mind if I don't change till we get

near to the caves exit though, do you?"

"Of course not." Said Nemo. "It's rather a shame we can't talk while

you're materia, having voices in my head would have been amusing." Nemo

looked at everyone. "All ready to move? We should get out of here as soon

as we can. Once we are outside the city it will be much harder for them to

track us." he said.

Return to the Sunlit Lands

The four of them carried on swiftly through the caves, aided by

Typhoon's almost instinctive knowledge of the cave layouts. The

inhabitants of the caves made way from them with deep respect, and the

wounded Blue Lion came to find them as they made their way to the

surface, nuzzling Typhoon until Aeris healed most of it's massive injury

with yet another Cura. Nemo's quick mental tally made him realise that

Aeris most have access to twice as much mana or more than he did to keep

up this level of spell casting - an impressive feat given his combat

training and mako infused stature.

As they walked, Tifa brought up something that seemed to have been

troubling her for a while.

"Nemo... did you fight down when we sparred?"

"Apart from not using attacks that would have been lethal with even a

practice sword, no. Why do you ask?" Nemo responded.

"I've seen you fight several times now, and I just wanted to check

something. I don't know if you've noticed..." she looked across at him,

"...but you seem to be getting stronger. Your fighting style is becoming

more refined, which might be explained by knowing about your amnesia -

but you seem to be literally, physically stronger as well. You were

handling your sword in that last fight in a way that you just didn't

seem capable of when we were fighting that Turk guy."

"Rude," said Aeris.

"Really?" Nemo asked, "I hadn't noticed any difference myself, I did think

I was being remarkably lucky in that last fight though. Have you noticed

any difference in me Aeris?" He asked.

"I'm not a fighter, Nemo. I haven't noticed a change in your abilities,

but I've only seen you in two fights and I know little about fighting.

Tifa, on the other hand, is a well known and respected martial artist

with years of both being trained - and teaching others. I would think if

any one was going to notice, it would be Tifa."

"Well, I'll take your word for it." he said to Tifa. "I have no idea

what whould cause it to happen though. If you could keep an eye on me and

how I'm fighting I'd appreciate it." He finished.

Tifa nodded. "I'm sure it's there, and I'll keep an eye out to see if it

continues. But your a pretty good fighter already - if you're improving

at this kind of rate in the course of days, you're going to be one of

the best in very short order."

"As an aside," Tifa continued, "your fighting style seems to be becoming

more 'formal' as well - in the first sparring match we had, you seemed

to be fighting on muscle memory and reflex. By the time we fought Rude,

he noticed you were Soldier trained by your style. In that last fight...

you were beginning to look like you were using the forms and kata of the

Soldier style. I still think you're fighting on muscle memory more than

knowledge, but you look to be remembering something by fighting."

"Sounds like a reasonable explaination. I still can't remember my

training, so muscle memory would be logical. I doubt I'll be quite as good

as you suggest though. I've seen the best fight, and he could wipe the

floor with several of me." Nemo said.

Tifa didn't look convinced. The group continued their journey out of the

caves, and after some brief checking around by Nemo of their location,

set off towards the small town of Kalm. Typhoon resumed his gem form

before they set out, and Nemo was aware of the red gem sitting mounted

in his sword. It was odd to think that his friend was in there

somewhere.

They were getting quite a collection of materia now, he reflected. The

Fira and the Summon in his own sword, Tifa appeared to be packing a

Cure/All combo, and he was carrying a Barrier and what he thought was an

Ica in his pocket. Aeris had already displayed use of a Cura and a

Shield, and the magical might to back them up, but he wasn't sure what

the gems were mounted in for use - or if she had any more.

His musing was interrupted by Tifa. "Nemo... you're talking about

following Sephiroth. What are we going to do if we catch up with him?"

"Good question. I'm hoping he'll be able to tell me more about my past,

and if he's against Shinra now, then I think that it might be worth seeing

if he'll talk to us." Nemo sighed. "It is a long shot though. He may not

be willing to talk to us. He may assume I'm working for Shinra, he knows I

used to. If we do locate him I'd better go and talk to him alone. Even all

of us together couldn't take Sephiroth, and if he get's angry then it's

only my head on the block." Nemo said. "Oh and if either of you can think

of a better idea than chasing Sephiroth, let me know, cause I really

wouldn't mind hearing one." He finished.

Tifa looked at Aeris who shrugged. "Away from Midgar is good enough for

now," said Tifa. "Hopefully they'll work out we didn't do it at some

point and we'll be able to go back."

"I wouldn't hold out too much hope, even if they work out we didn't kill

the president, they still want us for a jailbreak." Nemo said. "It may be

a while before we can go back, and I for one, need to find out who the

hell I am."

Tifa gave him a quick hug. "Hey, don't worry. We'll find out what's

happened to you."

"I hope so, though I suspect it will not be easy. Your confidence is

reassuring however. Thankyou." Nemo said sincerely.

"Well, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing now, would it."

Aeris grinned at Tifa's enthusiasm.

"True." Nemo said. The trio walked in companionable silence for a little

while before Nemo spoke again. "Why would Sephiroth want to kill President

Shinra?" He said out of the blue. "What does he get out of it? Not power,

Shinra corp. goes straight to Rufus now the president is dead. Revenge?

But revenge for what?" Nemo shook his head in confusion. "Sorry." he said,

sheepishly to the others. "It's been bothering me."

Tifa shook her head. "It doesn't make any sense to me either. Sephiroth

was the Shinra poster boy for the war - powerful, handsome and utterly

dedicated to the cause. Of course, maybe if we knew where he

dissappeared to, that might help answer the question."

Aeris frowned as if thinking of something. "I wonder what stage things

were at when he rescued you, Nemo. If he'd found out something during

the war that changed his views, I don't think Shinra would have revealed

his change of heart if they could have avoided it. Maybe he wasn't

working as a Shinra fighter at that point, but had some other agenda.

Once he rescued you and Typhoon unconscious, he could have taken you

anywhere."

"Fair point. We know that Shinra was using those black ninjas recently to

help set up the serial killer story and capture you." He said to Aeris.

"If they were using them when Typhoon and I were attacked by them it would

imply that Sephiroth was working against Shinra even back then. Though why

Shinra would have wanted to kill us I don't know."

"I don't know if the man in black was from Shinra," said Aeris

doubtfully. "Shinra don't want me dead - if they did, they would have

killed me by now. Hojo wanted a legal excuse to take me away that he

could use both with the locals and with the rest of Shinra. Whoever the

assassin was, and whoever sent him, I don't think they expected me to

live through the experience."

She shivered at the memory. "He was definately doing his best to kill

me."

"I see. That means we have at least three groups of people to keep an eye

out for." Said Nemo. "Shinra, Sephiroth, and the black ninjas. For some

reason I doubt that we have to worry about Sephiroth working with either

of the other two groups, but Shinra and the black ninjas might well be

connected in some way." Nem shook his head in frustration. "The ninjas are

the wild card. We need to know who they work for and what they want."

"Well, from what you said about the attack on you and Typhoon, it sounds

like they had some connection to Wutai. But I have no idea why they

would attack me, if that's the case," said Aeris.

Tifa was looking thoughtful. "I agree they don't seem Shinra's style -

Shinra would just have used Soldier's dressed in black. Master Zangan

did once speak of a group who used their martial arts prowess to develop

their stealth and infiltration abilities. He said their chi mastery was

great, but that their moral fibre was more lacking. He was using them as

part of an example of why chi mastery shouldn't be an aim in and of

itself - it doesn't make you a better person, it just gives you better

tools. He didn't say much, but he did mention that they hire themselves

out to the highest bidder most of the time. Which might explain why they

could both work for Wutai during the war, and attack Aeris now. But why

someone should hire them to attack Aeris I don't know."

"They might not have been hired to attack me specifically," Aeris

responded. "Remember there were a spate of murders in Midgar, all of

materia users."

"So, why would someone want to kill all the materia users in Midgar?" Nemo

asked. "They'd never be able to get all the members of Soldier, so what

would the purpose be? Unless they were just collecting materia for

themselves or their employer."

"Maybe they were looking for specific materia," said Tifa. "Aeris seems

to have some more esoteric materia than you'd get by mugging a random

soldier. Although why they wanted the 'grow pretty flowers real quick'

materia I don't know."

"Maybe that isn't all it does." Said Nemo. "It might be able to do other

things that we aren't aware of. On the other hand, I can see people being

interested in materia that could make crops grow faster, heathier and more

plentiful. Could make someone rich."

Aeris shook her head at the last. "I'm afraid it's not that powerful -

it only effects a single plant at a time, and the effect only lasts for

one day. I've been practising for years and I can only help about 20

plants a day. Great for bringing some colour into Midgar, not so good

for growing crops."

As they walked, the town of Kalm had come into view and the group were

now drawing closer to the inhabitation.

"Ah. I don't know about you two, but I see a comfortable bed in a hostelry

of some sort in my near future." Nemo said with a smile as he saw the town

ahead.

Well, no action in this post, but Nemo's starting to get a chance to ask some of those questions that he's been waiting to ask. Speculation and comments are welcome from those reading along - given it's a solo game, I'm happy for Tim to get some inspiration from the peanut gallery given he doesn't have any other players to bounce ideas off of.

Calm in Kalm?

The inn was nice, and Nemo took advantage of the moment to relax on the

bed. It turned out that Aeris was richer than she looked, and had been

more than happy to hand over to Nemo and Tifa the payment they'd been

promised for recovering her from Shinra - as well as paying for their

stay in the inn. Nema had almost forgotton that he was suppose to have

been paid for that, and it felt good to have some money to his name.

Tifa and Aeris had set off into town to do some shopping - Tifa was

still wearing the jump suit she'd put on to go and recover Aeris, which

they had decided was a bit too noticable. Nemo was aware he'd need to

pick up a change of clothes at some point (if just because he didn't

want to smell too much), but had decided to take some time off first.

Something was vaguely comforting about Kalm, and it seemed to wear it's

name well.

After a moments rest, Nemo got up and took a shower before crawling under

the covers of the bed and falling asleep, his sword within easy reach.

Nemo's sleep was deep and peaceful, until the sound of shattering glass

woke him with a start. He rolled to his feet out of the bed, grabbing

his sword as he rolled and glancing regretfully at his armour and boots

- he was going to have to fight without them on this occassion.

Standing by the window was one of the men in black, short sword in right

hand, the gleaming metal of a throwing spike glittering in his left.

Even as Nemo finished coming to his feet, more of them poored through

the window into the large room until seven men stood before him. The man

at the back glanced round the room.

"She's not here. Kill the man - we'll get her when she gets back." He

gestured, the only one of the seven without weapon in hand, and the

other six moved forwards in a mixture of fighting stances.

"Just. Great." Nemo growled out. "You guys. I don't suppose you'd tell me

why you want to kill Aeris would you? We can fight at the same time?" he

said as he attacked the nearest enemy.

His sword swung up in a perfect arc, catching the nearest ninja in the

chest and leaving a long bleeding scar. The man slumped down to his

knees, down from pain and shock, but Nemo didn't think he'd stay there

long. A hail of shurikens span towards him from one of ninja, one of

them ripping open the sleeve of his top, and then the remaining four

sword bearing ninjas were clustered around him, swords lashing out from

all directions. Nemo span and duck, sparks flying as swords clashed.

So far only his clothes had suffered damage, but the three long rips in

his top told him he was relying heavily on his luck. He vaguely noticed

through the melee that the larger man at the back hadn't moved, but was

still standing by the window with his arms crossed, leaning casually on

the wall.

The furious melee continued, steel whistling through the air in gleaming

arcs - and a single spray of blood as Nemo's sword connected with a

second ninja. The wound didn't look serious, however. Meanwhile, Nemo's

clothes were looking much the worse for wear, and scratches covered his

upper body. The first ninja to have been hit was back on his feet

already, looking worse of the blow, but back on the attack once more.

Nemo was impressed by his determination.

"Oh, you people just exist to irritate me don't you." Nemo said as he drew

on his magical reserves.

Leaping up to the leader of the ninja's, Nemo summoned the Blue Guardian

in a burst of ruby light. Typhoon opened his eyes just in time for to

see the foot that smashed into his face, carrying him back into a sword

wielding ninja. The ninja leader looked to be smirking behind his face

mask as he placed his foot back on the floor.

"You more resourceful than I expected." He commented to Nemo.

Typhoon levitated back to his feet, looking deeply pissed off. His eyes

flashed green for a moment and then a beam of blue energy erupted out of

his hands at the ninja leader, who calmly side stepped. The wall behind

him blew out into the street, icicles forming on the rubble as it fell

while the rest of the ninja's tried to dog pile onto Nemo while he was

distracted by the casting. The first clean blow of the battle landed on

him and he cursed in frustration - the wound wasn't deep, but it hurt

like hell and enough of them would take him down. Before he could

recover himself to launch attack of his own, the ninja leader started

whipping throwing knives out from his clothes and hurling them in rapid

succession - 3 of them struck home on Typhoon, two of them leaving

gashes as they glanced off his blue, icey skin while the third stuck

solidly in his flesh. Typhoon grunted in pain.

"Bastards!" Nemo cursed.

His sword lashed out, and cut one of the already injured ninjas down -

that was one opponent down for the count. But there were still five of

them on him and as the dance of steel continued he was caught by another

blow. Like before, it wasn't serious, but he was starting to feel groggy

from the cumulative effect. In their own little melee to one side, the

ninja leader and Typhoon exchanged blows - the ninja landing a punishing

axe kick that smashed Typhoon to the floor once more while easily

dodging the return claw swipe.

Nemo's frustration grew as he was kept at bay battling the swordsmen

while the leader drove his fist deep into Typhoon's solar plexus and

then, as Typhoon began to fold over the blow brought his foot smashing

down on the back of Typhoon's head with shattering force. The floor

boards under Typhoon's prone body groaned and bent under the force of

the blow. The only thing to give him any satisfaction was the first

ninja he'd wounded much earlier in the fight - the mans wounds had

obviously caught up with him, and with a drunken leap he hopped out of

the window. By the sound of his landing, he hadn't managed to hold it

together long enough to reach the ground safely.

As Typhoon drifted into unconsciousness, his body flashed red and

dissappeared.

"Utter bastards!" Nemo repeated.

Nemo's sword dropped low to the ground as he brought it round, beginning

to trail a thin stream of white light. Then, as the blade came round

further, Nemo's limit break kicked in with force.

"UPWARDS SPIRAL!" The blazing trail of light span out through the room

in a tightly coiled rapidly expanding spiral, ripping the beds to

pieces, demolishing the ceiling above Nemo's head and even taking out

the floor under their feet. The ninja's were smashed outwards with

violent force, crashing in to the walls around the room and rebounding

to fall through the gaping hole to the ground floor below. Nemo took the

fall with grace and landed lightly on the balls of his feet in front of

the stunned inn keeper, while the ninja leader managed to rebound off

the wall and land in an unsteady crouch. The rest of the ninja's lay

still on the floor, blood oozing out around their prone bodies.

Not letting go of his advantage, Nemo sprang towards the ninja, lashing

out with his sword, but even injured the man was still fast, spinning to

one side as the blade flashed past.

"You realise you just made this personal, don't you?" said the ninja as

he casually sidestepped a second blow.

"Really? What a shame." Nemo said sarcastically, "You were out to kill one

of my friends, moron. It was already personal."

"Not for me - just doing my job. Now, if you want to get personal with

my employer..." The black man lashed out three times, his fist clenched

in a 'phoenix eye' with one knuckle protruding. Nemo felt two sharp

bursts of pain from pressure points in his upper chest and managed to

dodge to one side of the third blow.

"Believe you me, I'd love nothing more than a little personal chat with

your employer." Nemo said with a feral grin as he prepared to attack

again.

"Pity you'll never get the chance then," said the ninja, ducking under

Nemo's sword and then smashing his fist into Nemo's face. Everything went

red, and when his vision came back he was lying on the floor on his back.

He barely had time to register the foot dropping towards his face before

it hit.

Then everything went black...