Hero Combat Manager v1.12 Released and in the store

bluesguy

• 4 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, bluesguy said:

The installation process has changed for HCM.  There is a ReadMe.txt file in the zip file you will download if you purchase the latest version.

Or you can read about it here

I finally got around to unzipping HCM 1.12 today, and there is no hcm.jar file in the folder. Everything else is there as listed in the ReadMe file, just no .jar file. Am I doing something wrong?

I have a Mac, and had an older version from your previous installer located in my Applications folder, but I forgot to uninstall it. Do you think that's causing an issue with the new version? I went back and uninstalled it properly, and then deleted everything, restarted the computer, and tried to unzip again, but still the same result: no hcm.jar file. 

Please help! Sorry I waited so long to get around to doing this . . .

Brian

Thank you for purchasing HCM.   Here are the steps documented in the base zip file:

This readme file is to help you with installing the Hero Combat Manager onto your computer.

1.  Unzip the hcm-package.zip into a temporary directory
2.  You should have two files:
    o ReadMe.txt - This file
    o hcminstaller-#.##.zip - This zip file contains a version of Hero Combat Manager.  The version number is based on #.## in the file name

When you unzip the hcm-package.zip do you see those two files?

3.  Unzip the hcminstaller-#.##.zip so that the HeroCombatManager folder (directory)is unzipped in a folder (directory) you have full rights to.  For Windows systems I would recommend installing it into a C:\Applications folder that you create.  I can't make similiar recommendations for Mac or Linux systems because I don't own those systems.

This zip file contains a folder which has all the files needed.  When you unzip this file you should have a folder/directory called HeroCombatManager

4.  Once unzipped the folder HeroCombatManager has the following items:
    o export folder - This folder contains the custom Hero Designer combat record export files that are needed to export characters from Hero Designer to be used by Hero Combat Manager.
    o hcm.jar - This is the actual Hero Combat Manager Java program
    o HCM_UserManual.pdf - This is the user manual
    o HeroCombatManager.gif - part of the icon that shows up when Hero Combat Manager is running
    o HeroCombatManager.ico - The desktop icon for Hero Combat Manager
    o ReleaseNotes-#.##.txt - A list of bug fixes and new features in this release

What you will find in the HeroCombatManager is show in step #4.

If that doesn't help please send me a private message thru this forum and I will send you my email address so I can see the file myself.

Sorry to bother you. The hcm.jar file wasn’t showing up in step 4 after I unzipped the installer. I deleted everything, downloaded the hcm-package.zip again, and unzipped it in a different directory and it worked just fine. I’m not sure why, but it’s all good now.

The only thing I can think of is that I have all my HERO system files in a HERO directory, and I unzipped the hcm-package in a Hero Combat Manager folder, which may have confused the installer. Other than that, I’m not sure what was going on. 

Thanks for your prompt response.