Minimum Damage From Injuries: Added or floor?

Gnome BODY (important!)

Question

I'm having a bit of trouble resolving the text on 6e2p103, under Minimum Damage From Injuries.  Is this additional STUN the attack deals as a result of dealing BODY, or is it a minimum on the STUN the attack deals after normal Defense? 

Say Defenseless Dave with 0 PD is punched by Angry Andy for 2 BODY 2 STUN.  Does Dave take 2 STUN, the total rolled on the attack after defenses, or does Dave take 2+2 STUN, the total rolled on the attack after defenses plus the BODY taken? 

1 answer to this question

Sorry for the delay in responding — the latter part of February was unusually busy, and then food poisoning/a stomach bug sidelined me all last week. I’m only now catching up with things.

The “minimum STUN damage” done does not add damage to what’s already taken, it simply establishes a minimum that the character can take. If the STUN damage the character takes from the attack is equal to or greater than the minimum, he only takes that STUN damage; if it’s less than the minimum, he takes the minimum.

Example:  Due to some weird Limitations on some of his defensive abilities, BobMan takes 6 STUN, 8 BODY from an attack (after applying defenses). Since the minimum STUN damage he can take equals the BODY damage he suffered, he actually takes 8 STUN damage — not the 6 STUN he otherwise would (and definitely not 14 STUN).

In a later Segment, BobMan takes 12 STUN, 6 BODY from an attack (after applying defenses). Since the STUN damage (12) already exceeds the minimum STUN he could take due to suffering BODY damage (6), he just takes the 6 STUN damage — the minimum rule doesn’t apply.