Creating a magic system with Multipowers?

Brian Stanfield

He seems to be referring to 5th edition Ultimate Skills. Excellent book. I'm basing my spell research rules off of ideas in it.

I'm also tweaking heroic stat range a skill breaks based on ideas in it to fix complaints about characters in low power settings.

Standard Skill enhancers are usually limited to one type of skill.

"Expert" is one that crosses types but restricted by subject.

I'm thinking of creating one called Student of the Arcane.

Ultimate Skill also discusses skill interaction with power frameworks on p. 60.

It discusses putting skills in pools.

Ż

Actually, there's a 6e version of the Skills book, but it's only available as a .pdf or through drivethturpg pod. The pagination is identical though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all overthinking this issue.  It is not about the how its about what you want.  If you want to limit how a character changes spells or how many active spells a character can have at one time, implement it as a campaign rule.  For instance you can say a character can only have INT/5 spells active at one time and only can have Int/3 spells selected without spending time to switch spells. The character can build the spells under multipower, pool or individual powers.  He could not pay for any spells and use a magic skill instead.  None of that would change the campaign rule of active spells at one time or how many spells he can use at any given time.

You are all overthinking this issue.  It is not about the how its about what you want.  If you want to limit how a character changes spells or how many active spells a character can have at one time, implement it as a campaign rule.  For instance you can say a character can only have INT/5 spells active at one time and only can have Int/3 spells selected without spending time to switch spells. The character can build the spells under multipower, pool or individual powers.  He could not pay for any spells and use a magic skill instead.  None of that would change the campaign rule of active spells at one time or how many spells he can use at any given time.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to guess you haven't read all of the previous 100 responses (who would?!), but what came out in the conversation is that I was trying to come up with a way with as few meta-rules or campaign-rules as possible. I was looking for a magic system strictly within the confines of the rules as written (RAW) so that it would be more consistent with the system, and hopefully make more sense for beginners trying to learn the system.