The Blackball Questions

steriaca

Especially if you do it as resistant protection, it seems like no big deal.

The field of darkness is another thing, but that can be linked, I would think, as opposed to needing to be in the same build.

Does he or she have some offensive capability?

When the forcefield is off, he can shoot round black forcefield bubbles from his hands (Blast, Physical), and suround his hands with round forcefields (Hand-To-Hand Attack). When the forcefield is up, he is limited to using extra running only when forcefield is up to 'bump' into opponents (move-through and move-by, but not grab-by).

Then my thought on it would be that area of effect is unnecessary, it's just a special effect. Resistant protection, however you model the darkness so that it basically just makes him unseeable but allows him to see(I'm not sure how you'd model this, possibly invisibility with a visible effect which is inky black, a field of darkness, I don't know how to model that one, as darkness is usually AOE).

Plus, then there's no need to handwave the AOE with mobile eating up attack actions whenever movement was needed.

It's a very genre true rookie villain. I could totally see him robbing a bank in an old Spiderman or Flash issue.

Thanks. He is suppose to be a 'Mort' character. He has to give up some options to take advantage of other options. The forcefield is up, he gains forcefield bullets and orb fists, but is not as protected, lacks movement, and everyone knows his actions ("easy to read"). Forcefield up and he is moble and protected, but has no extra offensive abilities.

What if the area of effect was basically him and the slight area around him. The area is not measured in feet, but in inches. Wouldn't a spear shaped (orb shaped) forcefield be just a special effect then?

Sounds like a 2 meter radius area, as all AoEs are "no bigger than this", just as the pricing of a 7 meter radius is the same as an 8 meter radius.

But I think a 2 meter diameter sounds about right if he can stand straight up, extend both arms fully to the right and left, and be entirely sheltered by the bubble the same as if he were crouched down in the fetal position. If the bubble re-morphs around him, that's not the "can't tell what he is doing" effect you indicate above. Note that we assume a character stands 2 meters tall, and the fingertip to fingertip measure of a human with arms outstretched typically matches their height.

I think you are making the whole exercise much harder than it should be. 1 meter radius Darkness, no range, follows the character does the trick.