Basic Character Write Up's

Sveta8

The goal of this is for me to have a place to indicate what has been done, and what has been made for specific character concepts I've been working on, and perhaps receive some feedback on them. That's up to ya'll! So let's start with the first, Pontiff Paslo.

Pontiff Paslo - Character Sheet

Pontiff Paslo - Backstory by virtue of Journal Entry

Pontiff Paslo - Character Inspiration Artwork

Feel free to ask or argue over it. I'm just happy the third draft ended so well.

5 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Penalty levels to offset Martial Arts? Were you replacing martial maneuvers with skills?

Neither I think? Pardon, I'm not quite certain what you mean.

Given that Martial Grab has -1OCV/-1DCV to baseline, I figured I could snag a Penalty Skill level for it individually to try to zero that out. Given that that is a specific singular action that has a penalty associated with it, and I could not find indication that I couldn't apply a Penalty Skill Level to it, I presumed it would be alright. About the only questionable uncertainty I have for it is if the Penalty Skill Level for DCV would apply while actually Grabbing the foe, as that gives a 1/2 DCV. 

Is there something else that should be done to try and replicate this effect? Or am I attempting to perform something that shouldn't be done?

Just now, Sveta8 said:

Neither I think? Pardon, I'm not quite certain what you mean.

Given that Martial Grab has -1OCV/-1DCV to baseline, I figured I could snag a Penalty Skill level for it individually to try to zero that out. Given that that is a specific singular action that has a penalty associated with it, and I could not find indication that I couldn't apply a Penalty Skill Level to it, I presumed it would be alright. About the only questionable uncertainty I have for it is if the Penalty Skill Level for DCV would apply while actually Grabbing the foe, as that gives a 1/2 DCV. 

Is there something else that should be done to try and replicate this effect? Or am I attempting to perform something that shouldn't be done?

Yeah, RAW wise you cannot buy Penalty Skill levels to pay off a negative associated with a maneuver.  It’s weird but as RAW that’s how it is. However in your game you can supersede RAW. 

Aaaah! I see. And... I can halfway see what they mean by that.

I think it's trying to attach all those Penalty's and Bonus's to the attack. IE: An attack that has an inherit negative for those values. Penalty Skill Values are trying to remove negatives added onto an attack. So, while it is a negative, it's part of the maneuver. I can jive with that.

Granted, I can still simply buy Combat Skill Levels for those Maneuvers instead, thus allowing me to offset, but not negate, the penalty. It may be only 1pt difference for each CV level, but it is notable. Especially as the 3pt DCV could also be used for OCV, or other skills... Which means if I adjust the skill levels around, regardless of whatever move I am using, I can only individually designate an OCV penalty as being "Offset" with the 2pt OCV Skill level! So that the DCV modifier will always have some level of adjustment, displayed on Martial Maneuvers! So if I'm spending it to get rid of a DCV penalty, I am having it draw away from the ability to help OCV, promoting smart play choices. Smart.

Really wonky way to do that, but I think  I get it. Will have to clear with the GM if I should work to change those or not then.

The mechanical answer is that I managed to get the crucial bits in place, and find I had 5 points left over, and not enough health to feel truly comfortable. So, popping that in DCV may prevent one or two attacks from hitting, which more than makes up for it.

The thematic answer is that they are a bit more focused on not trying to hit hit than they are trying to grab and throw you around.