Non-selective Targeting in an Explosion

CorpCommander

I was working with a player last night and we found the non-selective targeting in an explosion fit his concept quite well. However in reading the rules on it we discovered something I thought was rather silly.

Range modifiers apply not only on placing the explosion but also on each target. This doesn't make sense. If I am standing next to a grenade and it goes off I am just as likely to be hit by the fragments of it as I would be if someone tossed it at me and successfully hit my hex from 10 hexes away. The way the rule is written the grenade would be much less effective if thrown. As GM I have opted to not apply those range mods on the Non-selective roll as in the rules. My question to all of you is:

Who uses the range mods on the Non-selective rolls and what do you think this models?

Thanks!

Re: Non-selective Targeting in an Explosion

Originally posted by CorpCommander

Who uses the range mods on the Non-selective rolls and what do you think this models?

Ack. Another 5th edition change I missed.

I don't use range mods for the selective portion. Though it would be in keeping in mind the special effects.

If I was to use range mods for a selective explosion, it would be from point of impact.

Haven't used it, haven't gotten into a situation where it's come up, but like lemming hadn't even noticed it was there.

I guess it's just an SFX thing. If you are lobbing stuff in an area and the selection is based on you throwing it at each person in the area individually, I think that range should be counted and used in addition. I think in part this rule was made to handle the slighlty-abusive area sharpshooter, who takes his gun and defines it as a "Selective Area Blast" just to get a bunch of shots that automatically hit everyone in an area where in relaity that type of attack functions quite differently, either as Autofire or individual hits.

However, if you're throwing a Selective attack as some sort of "smart device" that actually originates "Indirect" from the point that the area blast itself actually starts, I'd say there's either no range modifier or the range modifier is from the starting point.

It's messy, but the SFX of "Selective Area" blasts are also messy, it's a strange beast logically speaking.