Fae pact powers

Fuzzy

Hey hive mind, I’ve been trying to figure out a way to build a fae or crossroads demon character using pact type effects (some verbal limitation or nnd vs contract holders etc) I admittedly don’t have a lot of experience with the system and the different pool types still confuse me. It’s 5th Ed and I’m looking for effects like a illusion to “be” someone else for a limited time with something like a “may I have your name?” type question. How to build the pact requirement limitations is where I’m stuck, I’m currently trying it using  major transform with nnd (refuse the pact) that gives a custom perk pact bound and the pact type powers all require the perk, but it’s clunky and I’m sure I’m over spending when there is a more elegant path.

If I'm following correctly, I'm afraid it might be a difficult concept to play at the table.   Nothing to do with how you build the powers, just if your action each turn hinges on conversing and making pacts in the moment, it could get tiresome, especially for the DM.

Would the concept work if it's bread & butter powers were pacts it had already made with other fae?  Like if you have a cold-based power, it's a 'pact with the Snow Queen' or is that too simplistic?

For pacts you make with others, you could try Useable By Others powers, perhaps turned around with a limitation that you can't use them, yourself.  You'd end up making pacts with allies, that way.  

What's "over watch" refer to?  Like stepping back from the front lines and coordinating?  

Groups will sometimes have a character with Mind Link to keep everyone in secure communication in a fight.  Or they'll use code phrases and the like for that purpose.

(OK, also 'coordinating' was, and may still be, a mechanic in Champions! where two characters attack simultaneously to try to stun a tough enemy, it required a roll from each participant.)

Yeah, coordinating over coms or mindlink or supporting with illusions and mind tricks etc. Mostly the intelligence gathering and social type character supporting the capes. We have a huge party like 7-8 players so keeping off others toes and finding a niche is tricky lol.

Edited by Fuzzy

So, you're an otherworldly creature.

You could have the schtick that, while someone is using a power your granted them, you're invisible or desolid (both might be a it much).  So, while they're enhanced fighting, you can be scouting and relaying information back telepathically?  When they've expended the power, you come back, and either initiate a new pact with an ally, or use a fey trick (illusion or other mental power) on an enemy, after which you again fade away until they break out...

Do you have a list of specific powers you are trying to build?

Imitating someone would be Shapeshift with the imitate a specific person adder. The limitation could be something like the target must tell you there name themself, maybe worth -1/2. (Slightly more than just Incantations.)

Illusions would be Images and/or Mental Images.

Making the powers feel fae/otherworldly would be a matter of the limitations chosen and the roleplay.