The Wronged

tkdguy

Okay, here's a summary of the fantasy campaign I've been working on and asked for advice on since I joined the boards. I had originally expected my players to be involved in courtly intrigue, but nobody wanted to do that, preferring to be outlaws instead. So here's my campaign for you to enjoy (and use, if you wish):

CAMPAIGN: THE WRONGED

INTRODUCTION

Swashbuckling swordplay and unarmed martial arts mix with political intrigue in this fantasy version of Europe. Heroic deeds and romantic liaisons are everyday occurrences in the seventeenth century. The heroes have become outcasts for one reason or another, usually as a result of having fallen victim to a villain’s schemes.

IMPORTANCE OF THE PLAYER CHARACTERS

The player characters are somewhat important. They are not major players on the grand scheme of things, but they have powerful enemies who will stop at nothing to see them dead.

CAMPAIGN TONE

Morality: There is some crossover between good and bad. Corruption is everywhere, and even “good†people have hidden agendas. The player characters themselves occasionally do things that are morally ambiguous.

Realism: The campaign is realistic. The characters may do a few cinematic stunts in the swashbuckler vein, but they cannot perform deeds that are normally impossible. Even though this is a fantasy campaign, there is no magic in this world. While Eastern-style martial arts are a staple of this campaign, nobody has any chi powers. The players are allowed, however, to pick almost any armed or unarmed style presented in The Ultimate Martial Artist and Fantasy HERO.

Outlook: Some things work out; others do not. Nothing is guaranteed, although the characters should always have a good chance to escape any given dilemma.

Seriousness: The campaign is more serious than lighthearted. The world is often a dangerous place, and enemies often lurk in the shadows.

Continuity: There are some long stories and some episodic ones. However, the characters’ actions will always have consequences, be they benevolent or otherwise.

SETTING

Physical World: The world is similar to Earth, with a similar (although not identical) history and geography. The campaign begins in the year 1670 in the Church Reckoning.

Scope: The continent of Europa will be the backdrop of the campaign. The actual extent of the characters’ travels depends on their decisions.

Technology Level: The technology in Europa is analogous to that of seventeenth-century Europe. Muskets and cannons are used by soldiers. The smallsword is beginning to replace the rapier among duelists. Printing is available, but the lower classes largely remain illiterate. Medicine is crude, and chemistry is still little more than alchemy. There have been many advances in astronomy and physics, however.

Character Building Guidelines

•Starting Points for PCs: 75

•Maximum Disadvantage Points for PCs: 75

•Maximum Points for any One Disadvantage: 25

•All characters have normal characteristic maxima.

•All characters must be hunted by a more powerful enemy.

•Characters can have normal items without paying any points.

Power Levels

OCV/DCV: start at 5-8, max is 10

Speed: start at 3-4, max is 4

DEF: start at 0-2, max is 4

Skill Rolls: start at 11- to 14-, max is 17

CAMPAIGN RULES

Knockdown and bleeding rules are used.

NOTE: I am doing lots of revisions to this world, so I'll post more info later.

I think they'd be called the heavy fighters and guys with extra running (+1" or +2" max). But hey, if you like this campaign, and you want them there, go for it.

I just removed the powers so that the players would get the hang of the HERO system first. I remember being confused as a newbie, so I want them to get the hang of how the rules work first, especially combat.