Question about aborting actions as a mental power user

realnowhereman23

Question

Hello. I'm a little confused about how this is supposed to work. If someone with EGO 25 and DEX 12 attacks on their phase at EGO/DEX 25 but get attacked, let's say on DEX 15, does the mental power user just abort the rest of their current phase or do they give up the rest of the current phase and the next one as well?

Also, are they still allowed to move on DEX 12 at all after attacking? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that once you attack your turn is over. An I recalling that correctly? Does that mean that if the character using the mental power wants to move and attack on the same segment they have to wait until their DEX came up to do so?

Also I feel as though I should add, my players and I have been playing that you can move and attack or attack then move. Does this way of playing not work when you incorporate mental powers?

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide on this!

1 answer to this question

If a character attacks on their Phase at EGO 25, and then is attacked on DEX 15 of the same Segment, then the character cannot Abort. Per 6E2 p22, "Once a character has performed an Attack Action or otherwise used his full Phase in a particular Segment, he cannot Abort to any Action until the next Segment."

No, they cannot move at DEX 12, because attacking ends your Phase (see Attack Actions on 6E2 p18). Yes, this means that if the character wants to move and attack, they have to wait to use their mental power until after their DEX comes up in the combat order and they're able to move.

As noted on 6E2 p19, acting after attacking can cause game balance issues, and is not allowed in the normal rules as written, so if you're allowing it, then it's up to you to decide how/whether that works with using mental powers at a higher EGO and movement powers at a lower DEX. A post on the HERO System Discussion forum might generate some thoughts on that if you're seeking advice.  🙂