CV

If attacks are calculated as a hit being less than or equal to 11+ocv-number rolled, than wouldn't it make sense that you would want ocv as low as possible? same with dcv by the same logic, if you are trying to roll a lower number, wouldn't having a high ocv or dcv be detrimental? am I simply not understanding this right?

The attack calculation needs to be compared to the target's DCV. 

For example, if your character has OCV 7 and you roll a 10 on the dice, then you would hit a target with DCV 8 or less.  If the target has DCV 9 or higher, then your attack would miss.

For both OCV and DCV, higher is better.

The rule as written is...not the simplest, not at first.

To see how it works, it can be rewritten as     3d6 Roll <= (OCV - DCV) + 11

If my OCV is 9, your DCV is 8, I hit if I roll a 12 or less.

If my OCV is 7, your DCV is 9, I only hit if I roll a 9-.

The book's expression is

OCV + 11 - Roll == the HIGHEST DCV I hit.  Same thing...just terms have been switched around.  

It's given this way because the player generally shouldn't know ahead of time what the DCV is.  In this form, he says, as noted "I hit DCV x"...and the "or less" is implicit.

What you are missing is that you don’t subtract your roll.  The formula to see if you hit is 11 + your OCV – the targets DCV.   That gives you the target number you need to roll or get under to hit.

One way that may be easier to understand is to use 11 + (Your OCV – the targets DCV).  So, what you do is to take your OCV and subtract the targets DCV and add that number to 11.  For example, if I have an OCV of 5 and the target has a DCV or 3.  I subtract 3(The targets DCV) from 5(My OCV) and get 2.  That is added to 11 to get 13.  That means you need to roll 13 or less to hit.  If the number is a negative it follows the rule of adding negative numbers and is subtracted instead.  So, if we reverse the numbers so you have a 3 OCV and the target has a 5 DCV. It would be 3(My new OCV) - 5(the targets new DCV) for a total of -2.  The -2 is added to 11 for a target number of 9.  At this point you need to roll a 9 or less to hit.  This is the exact same thing as what I listed earlier but you are usually working with smaller numbers which most people find easer to do in their head.