My own super hero rpg system

batguy

To Word Sensei 515's point some indies will put up Ashcans for testing and then give buyers a discount when the main product comes out. That said, before you get there, beta test, beta test, beta test, with as many people as possible. If you're worried someone is going to still your deal:

1. It takes a lot of work. 

2. There are some tricks for proof it's your IP

3. Google Docs has an NDA format and a Verisign plugin. 

So, a few things to keep in mind, you cannot copyright mechanics. This is one of the things that made the OGL amusing to me when it first rolled out 20+ years ago. If you want to write a D&D clone and use everyone mechanic they have published you can do that today legally. What you can't publish without authorization are specific terms or setting material. 

Your statement implies that you want to shop your game to a major publisher. I think the big question here is, why? We live in a age where print on demand is no longer a bad thing and major PDF distributors have crossed over. Conversely, there are games like Misspent Youth that was self published, popular, and a major company approached the author afterwards to pick up the IP. 

Full disclosure, as a self published game designer, these are questions I've asked myself. From when I first started publishing in 2013 to today, things have only gotten easier to go it alone. Yes, get something legal done before going to Kickstarter. At the same time, that shouldn't stop you from play testing in the slightest. 

Also, if you are worried about promoting material, it hasn't been an issue for me so far. Which reminds me, I need to update my signature on this site. You can also get links to specific Itch products I've produced from the Free Adventure Seeds threads. A lot of them are only published as blog posted, but over the last year or so, I've been doing full PDF releases and linking to those. 

Edited by Certified

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, Certified said:

Full disclosure, as a self published game designer, these are questions I've asked myself. From when I first started publishing in 2013 to today, things have only gotten easier to go it alone. Yes, get something legal done before going to Kickstarter. At the same time, that shouldn't stop you from play testing in the slightest. 

I haven't created a crowd-funded project myself, but I have backed several.  Mostly new product design, rather than an IP like a gaming system...but I also backed Champions Now.

You need your ducks in a row beforehand.  I've never been burned...but there've been times when the project was posted somewhat prematurely.  Not all suppliers lined up...or, in one case, where something that was promised *seemed* simple, but turned out NOT to be...and the fix probably meant the project ran deeply into the red.  With an IP, writing and editing ALWAYS take longer than you think, and professional editing won't come cheap.

You also need realistic goals.  New gaming systems at best target pretty limited audiences.  With no track record, no supporting material, they're tough sells...which also means your presentation...on KS and after...needs to be solid.  

Last:  whatever you think the effort will be...going formal, going published...double, if not triple it.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I haven't created a crowd-funded project myself, but I have backed several.  Mostly new product design, rather than an IP like a gaming system...but I also backed Champions Now.

You need your ducks in a row beforehand.  I've never been burned...but there've been times when the project was posted somewhat prematurely.  Not all suppliers lined up...or, in one case, where something that was promised *seemed* simple, but turned out NOT to be...and the fix probably meant the project ran deeply into the red.  With an IP, writing and editing ALWAYS take longer than you think, and professional editing won't come cheap.

You also need realistic goals.  New gaming systems at best target pretty limited audiences.  With no track record, no supporting material, they're tough sells...which also means your presentation...on KS and after...needs to be solid.  

Last:  whatever you think the effort will be...going formal, going published...double, if not triple it.

Nothing here looks inaccurate. Let me add from my personal experience, even when you have a team together and ready to go the moment you look like you're going to be funded delays happen.

Layout for Metahumans Rising was delayed multiple times, due to events beyond our control. As such we began providing chapter by chapter updates as proof of progress to backers. That's not to mention the packaging and shipping errors that happened from our printer that led to a second print run and having to resend books. Sometimes, even when everything is together, bad things can happen.

One thing I would add though is don't get too far down the line trying to think ahead. Focus on developing the core game, get some god play testing in. Then, when everything is buttoned up and it's time to get funding to bring something across the finish line, then pivot your focus. Now, that doesn't mean not to do things like network along the way, but more that the game itself needs to be solid before you get to crowdfunding if that's your goal.