Gang war

Jmonty

Adventurer PCs in fantasy genres are often a bunch of rogues, not very different of criminals. Sure, they have a code of honor, maybe...

In present time RPG genres, crime-fighters and crime-doers are the most akin to adventurer types. I mean, a regular office working person has little adventure time, but a gang member or a cop could have more. That said, has anyone played gang members (one of them an undercover cop, of course), a gang war, or a similar adventure thing?

If not, but you like the concept... Hudson City has many gangs, Dark Champions is a cool game, but I need some inspiration. Some general idea, something more concrete. May be stories of Maffia, or samurais, can be adapted to the gang setting. Well, I read your comments if anybody has something to write.

Hmm... Not my preferred genre, but I do have a suggestion that's a little unorthodox. Hero Games put out a mini-sourcebook PDF for Pulp-era gaming in Hudson City, for Fifth Edition, but which would be easy to adapt to Sixth and to the modern day. The Raven and the Midnight Brigade is based around a masked crime-fighting vigilante inspired by the classic Pulp character, the Shadow. The Raven's support organization, the Midnight Brigade, is made up of an Inner Circle who know they work for the Raven, and an Outer Circle who think they're dealing with one of the Raven's secret identities. Some of these are criminal, others in law enforcement, still others just in positions to provide the Raven with information, or having other useful skills.

The PDF writes up a dozen diverse members of the Inner Circle, but there's always room for more. The Midnight Brigade could form the basis for PC heroes, particularly if you don't want to use the Raven himself -- he could be retired and no longer in the field, but still directing his agents in the battle against crime. The organization as written includes a couple of very mild supernatural elements, but they'd be no problem to excise. And the booklet costs only $1.50 US to see if it would work for you.