Light Come Forth!

Michael Hopcroft

Here's one for the Slayers fans who play FH; if one of your players wanted to build something akin to Gourry's Hikari no Ken (Sword of Light), and he had enough points that woudd allow him to do it, how would you advise him to do it?

The other question is whether you would let him, given that such a powerful single weapon might unbalance most campaigns even in High fantasy?(The only reason it doesn't unbalance Slayers campaigns is that the rest of the party has access to powers that are just as potent).

Have you considered that it might not be so much extremely powerful as it is simply effective enough but extremely impressive? I think a lot of anime could be simulated by low DEF campaign wide and a mandatory purchase of extra PRE linked to attack(s) or specific attacks.

Gourry's OTHER sword

later on in the novels Gourry picks up something called the Blast Blade, a weapon that absorbs magic and makes itself sharper by doing so. It is so sharp that lina has to enchant a scabbard just to prevent the Blast Blade friom cutting it open when Gourry tries to sheathe it! And it's getting sharper all the time.

(I think if somoen w\could get the rights to translate and reprint the original Slayers prose novels, they'd be sitting on a gold mine. The series has been runoing for over a decade now in print and shows no signs of slowing down or losing its quality.