Magic spells

nytflyr

I want to allow the players to come up with their own spells, but I would like some input as to what limitations they must all have. at first I was going to do a multipower, but I can see that getting out of hand.

here are the limits Im looking at, any suggestions would be appreciated:

gestures, incantations, concentration (1/2 DCV), expendable focus (components), requires skill roll, side effect (varies on element & spell), cannot cast if wearing metal armor (restricts movement), must be associated with caster's element (fire, water, darkness, death, etc... requires caster to have KS: Magic Element), extra time, full phase (-4 1/4)

if there is a way to resrict a multipower I will be open to suggestions there as well

I assume you mean besides playing the "I'm the GM" card? ;-) No, in all seriousness, I've got a wizard in my campaign who I've had re-write spells for balance or mechanics reasons several times, and they're in a magic Multipower. I think as long as you as the GM have good rapport w/ your players and they understand that any changes you ask them to make to their character are for the betterment of everyone's gaming experience, then they won't have a problem with it. But, that's just my experience. In a way, it's almost easier to control power levels on spells by putting them in a MP. Sure, they can cast more spells because of the point cost break, but all of those spells absolutely have to be under a certain AP total, and that tends to keep balance in check. I'd personally recommend a 30 AP limit on the MP to start with, but go with whatever floats your boat.

One of the problems w/ using a MPP for Magic is that there is no real motivation to take a lot of lims on the slots, particularly if they are fixed/ultra slots. Since the cost of slots is so cheap, even crippling lims placed on a slot only reduce the slot cost by a handful of points at the most.

However, you as the GM can mandate whatever you want. I recommend you write a document on how your Magic System functions and distribute it to your players so that everyone knows what to expect. Such a document can be nothing more than a paragraph, or as comprehensive as you need/want it to be. Either way, most players will appreciate the clarity.

A word or two if you want to use multipowers:

if the restrictions you listed are all required, all spells will have them, in wich case the multipower reserve will too. In that case a 50 active point MP casts 9 points - add in 11 50-active point spells at 1 point each and you get mucho power for 20 points.

OTOH, if all spells require concentration, gestures and incantations - plus can't wear metal armour - then having the 3d6+1 HKA white-hot palm o' death spell is not such a campaign unbalancer: it will rarely be used in combat, but instead for burning holes in gates and castle walls.

My suggestions: drop "can't be used in metal armour" and instead simply inflict encumbrance penalties on magic skill rolls. If the swordfighter gets encumbrance penalties to use his word - but gets no points for that - then it seems fair to do the same with the mage. The effect will be similar.

Secondly, drop "must be associated with caster's element (fire, water, darkness, death, etc" and simply say to use a MP you have to have a style of magic. That way a mage who wants flight (air magic) AND firevblast (fire magic) will have to buy two MPs. It gives a bit more variability, plus GM control.

That way you end up with required limitations: Gestures, incantations, concentration (1/2 DCV), expendable focus (components), requires skill roll, side effect (varies on element & spell), extra time, full phase (-3 1/2)

Using a setup like that with multipowers means mages will be powerful and flexible, but still at risk from a brave, skilled or simply muscular swordswinger.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks for the suggestions: combining the bunch this is what I will do...

30 point active (Max starting) Multipower that's special effect must be a narrow field of magic (Fire, Darkness, Necromancy, etc...)

Required Limitations: Gestures, incantations, concentration (1/2 DCV), expendable focus (components), requires skill roll, side effect (varies on element & spell), extra time, full phase (-3 1/2)

Encumberence rules will be in effect for the spell caster

How does that sound? any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Outsider

I always liked Variable Limitation (Extra Time, Extra END, or Side Effect (EB)) They could cast quickly, they could cast safely, or they could preserve mana, but not all three.

That's neat. The only thing to watch for about this is whether or not it actually is a limitation since the player can manpulate the limitations as they please. For example, when you make a blanket statement "gestures are required for spells", then all casters are penalized (no spells) when they are entangled or tied up. However, this is no problem for the "Variable Limitation" mage. That doesn't make it wrong, it just depends upon your campaign flavor.

I decided early on, being a fan of Larry Niven's "The Magic Goes Away" series, that I wanted a type of "magic is a natural resource" system. Every living thing gathers manna ... but whether or not it can put it to use is a different story.

This is reflected in any caster needing to not only buy a MPP (with required limitations based on the type of magic) but an END Reserve from which all their spells are powered. This helps ameliorate the "put a bazillion limitations on the MPP to get it cheap" strategy ... and also prevents the "withered old mage who is a better cross-country runner than the physically-fit warrior." Or at least, that's my hope ...

I just have Gestures, Incantations, Requires a Skill Roll, and Focus required. Though also, due to the nature of magic in my campaign ... any power that typically doesn't cost END is required to do so. I'm including the Spell Limitation from FH as well.

But this opens up all sorts of magic battles with END Transfers (stealing someone's magic from them) and END Reserve REC Suppress (disrupting the local flow of manna), etc. At least ... those are my ideas for the bad guys :)

Oh ... I also didn't do the "can't wear metal armor thing" and opted that any spell that uses Gestures takes a type of encumbrance penalty depending on the restrictiveness of the armor worn. Though, I think due to the suggestion above ... I'll just go straight with encumbrance penalties and call it good :)

Yeah, a wide open Variable Limitation is something one has to keep a very close eye on. Especially if you're GMing with rules weasles who, if not watched closely, will take "Only in daytime" OR "only at night" as part of the "disadvantage" on every spell, depending on the time of day.

The variable lim I had in place had to be covered by Extra Time, Extra End, or Side Effect (EB) ONLY. No other disads are allowed to cover the variable lim portion of a spell's total disad. Incantations and skill roll were ALWAYS required. The V-Lim was set between -2 an -8 total (ie a -1 1/2 to -7 1/2 limitation on power cost), depending on the skill of the magician. No spell could take more than a day to cast (based on the length of a record filibuster, this is the longest someone could keep up an incantation :) )

A "-8" Mage basically had only the following options :

1 Day Casting, 10xEnd, and a 6d6 EB on failure

or

1 Day Casting, 8xEnd, 12d6 EB on failure

or

5 Hours Casting, 10xEnd, 12d6 EB on failure

On the up side, all his spells were bought with a (-8 1/4) total limitation, at least (V-LIM, Skill Roll, Incantation)