Tripple trouble

revanick

Lead off here is that the GM is a novice GM, and all of us playing the game are novice in the HERO system.

The scenario is a burning building, apparently started by an explosion of some type. Once character in question has Clairsentience, touch group, x1000. How do you handle using him to search the burning building for casualties? The book says you have “perception pointâ€. However, if it’s x1000 rapid, how many rooms could he cover per phase?

Second in this point, should he take any kind of damage while checking through burning areas of the building using this power? If so, what kind? What add would you have the player take if he really wanted to avoid damage? In a similar vane, if a player is using TK to move objects that are damaging to the touch, i.e. a radioactive container, burning timber, etc, what conditions would allow him to move the objects safely and when would he take damage?

Multipower vs Elemental Control

A character has a set of multipowers, most of which could be combined into a EC with a couple strays that wouldn’t fit. The player understands that if he wants to use the MPs a the same time he will have to reduce the strength of the powers. When would you push to have the portions that mostly go together to be broken out into an EC?

Thanks for the assistance.

Clairsentience's 'viewing point' is stable, actually, so the x1000 rapid modifier just means he really picks up that area in a hurry. The USPD puts forth the 'mobile perception point' adder for Clairsentience, which lets it move around, +5 points for a 6" 'Flight'. I'm not entirely certain Rapid is legal on Clairsentience, though ... on the other hand, I can't say for sure to the contrary.

With TK and Ranged Touch/Clairsentient Touch, you still aren't making contact with the burning object, so you take no damage (unless you have some odd limitation on said power). 'Standard' TK is a perfectly safe way to move burning objects and radioactive materials.

As far as the last question goes, I'm pretty liberal on 'rewrites' of the sheet, so long as it's a re-arrangement rather than a re-creation (turning an MP into an EC or VPP, or moving a slot out of an MP into an EC, for example, doesn't require a Radiation Accident). Just figure up the new cost and gather the XP.

To clerify the EC vs the MP: The GM suggested (and it was a suggestion) that the MP might fit into an EC instead. Since we are all new with the system, the characters are not currently locked in stone. This adventure is the second in a series to try to get a better feeling for how the system works.

With that in mind, the question was not so much one of hen would you LET a character change from MP to EC but rather when would you ENCOURAGE a new character to be rewritten as with an EC instead of a MP?

And with respect to the search with clairsentience, lets say it was a college science building with 8 class rooms and 8 lab rooms plus a few offices. Would the character in question be able to seach an office, a classroom or just one square of the hallway as he uses his touch group based clairsentience?

The idea of putting a flight add for moving the point of perception is something that wouldn't have occurred to me. Thank you.

Typically with clairvoyance you pick a spot to scan in your first action, in your case say the library. Then on your next action you pick another point and scan it. IMO it would take about 18 actions to scan each room and both hallways. More if you want to view a room from more than one spot and look in closets, etc. With a SPD 5 character that would be about a minute or so.

Personally, in general, I tend to favor MPs over ECs though, provided that you have the points and your GMs approval you can use both. The advantage of an EC is that you can use all the powers in it at once at full strength. The advantage of a MP is that you can generally have a wider variety of powers or flavors of one. And you *can* use more than just one power at a time in a MP so you don’t have to have more than one. I’ve seen characters build with separate movement MPs & attack MPs, but I thing that just having one big one is better.

For instance:

92 MP: Psychic Powers (92 point pool)

12m Ego Attack (5d6) 1/2 End [62]

6u Telepathy (10d6) 1/2 End [62]

6u Clairvoyance [60]

6u Telekinesis (STR 14, Fine Manipulation) BOECV (+1) [62]

6u Teleportation (15â€, x4 Mass, x32 NCM) [60]

3u Force Field (10, 10) 0 End [30]

3u Flight (10â€) 1/2 End, Works in Water [30]

3u Mind Scan (6d6) [30]

With this setup you can use one 60 point power and one 30 point power at the same time, like Ego Attack and Force Field. Or you could use Flight, Force Field, and still be able to do a 2&1/2d6 Ego Attack, though you wouldn’t be able to use the TK or Teleportation.

It’s fairly easy to add new powers to a MP later, but harder to add to an EC.