Multiple Powers in EC slots

Derek Hiemforth

Question

Hey Steve, I checked the FAQ and didn't find anything. Hopefully I didn't miss it. :)

I know it's legal to put two Linked Powers into a single EC slot. What about Powers that aren't Linked? If you have an effect where two game mechanics are required to simulate it, but it doesn't make sense to Link them for some reason, can you put them both in a single EC slot without the Linked Limitation?

(In the specific case at hand, I'm working on an ice-based character and want to give her an "Ice Slides" slot in her EC. In the USPD, Ice Slides are built as Running and Gliding in a MP together. Obviously I can't put a MP in an EC slot, and it makes no sense to Link the Running and Gliding because they would be used exclusively, not simultaneously. But it seems like they should go in the same slot together because they're just one effect: Ice Slides.)

1 answer to this question

I have tricked you this time by putting the answer in the book. :)

5E 203 says you can't put two powers in a single slot unless they're Linked "or the character has the GM's permission." So, just bribe the GM with a pizza, and you're all set! What you're describing sounds like a reasonable case for having two powers in one slot to me; it doesn't seem particularly abusive.

Or, convince the GM to let you create a custom Advantage that allows you to switch one mode of Movement for another without changing the inches -- sort of like Usable Underwater for Flight. I expect most GMs would allow that for Ice Slides; again, not at all abusive.