What do you wanna see in Hero Helper 2?

nyakki

Hey everyone,

Cross posting in the Fantasy Hero and Champions forums.

I'm almost done with a New and Very Very Very Improved Hero Helper

For those who don't know, it's a program to help GM's during gaming sessions, like roll dice quickly etc.

The graphics are more appealing and I've included an on-line help. Besides that, here is what I've done so far and things that are in the planning.

Comments are welcomed.

What's Improved

Dice Roller

Now it will roll the Killing damage for Killing Attacks. I've also improved the interface so that you can have unlimited number of Pre-Roll settings and setting up those Pre-Rolls much easier.

Explosion dice will list in either direction now to suit individual preferences.

Name Maker

I've altered it so that you can bring in your own text file of names (instructions on how to do it will be included). So you can have names that are not only American sounding but also Chinese, German, or Old English if you like

The Super Hero name generator has improved so that, on average, 1 out of every 3 names generated are usable (it's random, so those odds are pretty good).

Added to the Super Hero name section is a Team Namer and a 'Power Namer' (enter your special effects and it will generate a list of names like Ice Cannon, Ice Displacer, Ice Bond, etc).

Good for those times when you want another power but can't really think of one, just roll the Power Namer, pick a name you like, and create the power based on the name. Kind of cool actually.

Added Categories include: Fantasy Namer, SF Namer, Devices, Places and an Other category which will include monster names and more.

New Ideas In The Works

Phase Tracker

The idea is to be able to input the character's Name/SPD/DEX/OCV/DCV

Have it go Phase by Phase and show who goes next. Options if you select a name to modify (i.e. DEX Drains, abort, etc.) and have a quick Combat Dice Roller.

Ideas welcomed.

Inspiration

Basically it gives character and story ideas (randomly, of course).

Still in the works, the general idea would be to separate by genre and targets (i.e. plots, characters, NPC's, etc.)

Ideas welcomed.

NPC Aid

Ever had a PC say 'I want to talk to the secretary' and you, as a GM, didn't have the secretary's personality thought out yet.... NPC Aid is there for you.

Similar in concept to the Inspiration idea above, NPC Aid is designed primarily for On-The-Spot NPC creation. Personality, Reaction to PC's, Appearance, etc. All to give the lingering doubt to the PC's as if this is a 'Throw Away' NPC or an NPC that you have thought out and, therefore, is important.

Ideas welcomed

Disad Lister

Actually a hold over from Hero Helper 1, it randomly picks Psych and Physical lims based on the point values you put in.

Should this stay.

YES SIDE: It has helped me come up with Lims I wouldn't have thought of myself.

NO SIDE: I can find a list of Lims on the web at http://www.globalguardians.com/masterlists/index.html (which is actually where the idea came from) and don't need it in a program

Please tell me what you think (as you can see, I'm on the fence with this)

That's it so far. Is there anything that you would like to see in a program to help you with your gaming?

Do you have a comment on anything above?

Let me know

nyakki

One quick thing that comes to mind is importing/applying Package Deals for alien species (in Star Hero) or inhuman races (in Fantasy Hero). Includling packages for the Hero Universe (from Terran Empire, Alien Wars, and Digital Hero #8 for Star Hero, and The Turakian Age for Fantasy Hero) would be ideal. The user could select from a pull-down menu to also include "random" and "none," and of course there should be a utility for creating new Packages (for the GM's universe, or future published books like Worlds Of Empire).

For your personality generator, EZ Hero #6 has an article by yours truly about personality typing that I think could make a good starting point for you. :D

I have other ideas, but I'll get to them later. :)

I didn't even know there was a V.1.0 of Hero Helper. mmmm...helper-goodness. Perhaps another option or two for the champions character creator...like a sharpshooter. Perhaps the ability to combine certain qualities...a brick martial artist and his buddy the energy projecting speedster?

On the whole I kind of like it the way it is...although some of the color schemes could be changed.

For your personality generator, EZ Hero #6 has an article by yours truly about personality typing that I think could make a good starting point for you. :D

I have other ideas, but I'll get to them later. :)

Downloaded EZ Hero sample. Nice article. I like the idea. May I use some of the ideas in my program?

On the whole I kind of like it the way it is...although some of the color schemes could be changed.

I have done a complete overhaul on the actual interface. I think it will be much more appealing.

Keep the comments/ideas coming,

nyakki

Originally posted by nyakki

Downloaded EZ Hero sample. Nice article. I like the idea. May I use some of the ideas in my program?

Absolutely -- I wouldn't have pointed you to it otherwise. :D

I also have found a few other things to go with it, and could forward them to you some time soon to supplement that article.

Absolutely -- I wouldn't have pointed you to it otherwise. :D

But it's always nice to get official permission than assume (and you know what assuming gets you...)

I also have found a few other things to go with it, and could forward them to you some time soon to supplement that article.

That would be great. Just drop by my profile to get my e-mail address.

Possibly useful. But a pda is much easier to use at conventions etc than a laptop.

Don't think I can help much there. Sorry.

Being able to take a combat matrix from HD v2 would be nice as well to generate the who goes when list.

I'll work on making a template for HD to export to my program. Thanks for the idea.

Keep the comments and ideas coming,

nyakki

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I'm still waiting for some time to make an in-depth review...

But for now, I will add that an automated install/uninstall facility would be very, very nice (for the PC version at least). ;)

I'll try to figure out how to do that. I'm working on a Mac so it'll be hit and miss for a while. (since I don't have a Windows PC to test on)

nyakki