How's this for a strange pairing? (parental discretion advised)

Game Show Man

Help me solidify this mismatched pair of characters I've been chewing on for the last few weeks.

One half: A slightly overweight male detective/gunman/gadget-user/"cloud men's minds" hero named The Blue Specter (secret ID: Lance Williams). He started as a possible successor to The Shadow, but he started going in weird directions. He's definitely a bit lighter (he cracks wise a lot) and more pleasant/social/likable than Shadow the vast majority of the time, but turns scarier (and more violent) than his inspiration when faced with a truly heinous villain (particularly extra-cruel criminals like serial killers, rapists, and those who are out to subvert human free-will, especially on an individual level. An example of the latter: Dr. Caldicott, the villain of the 1998 teen horror flick Disturbing Behavior, who used optic implants to convert "troubled teens" into zombified "model students." The Blue Specter would have regretfully waxed the soulless kids and then made an unpleasant example of Caldicott). His sole powers are Psionic Invisibility (the power to "cloud men's minds," although unlike the Shadow, the Blue Specter casts no shadow), and and a heavy Mental Defense (he's a bit paranoid when it comes to mental intrusion; he should have enough to take on Menton for a short time if neccessary.) He also is well versed in detective type skills. The rest of his capabilities center around his gadgets, his supercar and his arsenal of weapons. His primary weapons are a pair of gold-plated blasters called "Thunder and Lightning", with pulson blaster, laser, and special beam modes (Thunder's is a massive sonic boom attack, while Lightning features a electricity blast). He also has access to a massive arsenal containing not only a variety of conventional firearms (including several tommy guns, which are personal favorites), but numerous weapons from both VIPER AND UNTIL. His main ride is a souped-up PT Cruiser which can morph into sleek, armored superhero's car, capable of converting into a flying hovercar (ala the DeLorean in Back to the Future), and a mini-submarine. The car also has a sentient onboard AI (much like KITT), although with a female voice, named CLAW. His main gadgets are his Scanner Lenses which are basically a pair of contact lenses that give him telescopic vision, x-ray vision, "evidence sensors" (which look for forensic evidence at the scene of a crime), aim enhancers (to help hit an target with his guns) and a link-up to his headquarters supercomputer, IRma (his nickname for the system. It's more correctly known as "IR-1," which stands for "Information Room 1"); the Lenses also glow an eerie red, further intimidating opponents. His primary base is Haunted Lair, located in his hometown of Anaheim. He's a big baseball fan, and when the Anaheim Angels go to play the Tigers in Millenium City, he travels there to watch the game with his friend Doctor Silverback...which is exactly how he comes upon...

The other (and more twisted) half: female extraterrestrial brick/relationship therapist MatchMaker. She is one of a near-human race who developed superstrength, superflight, mental powers, and to some extent, super-emotions. In the process, their society became much more sexually open, leading to some wild customs (which we won't go into right this second). When they discover a civilization with the potential to reach their level of emotional and sexual maturity, they send an emissary to help improve the quality of male-female relationships there. It is the Earth emissary, Kai-Leh (pronounced "Kylie"), who runs into the Specter on one of his trips to Millenium City to hang out with Dr. Silverback. Her methods are simple: find a lonely soul, "bond" themselves to that person as a friend, sounding board and even lover (!), and after "training" them in the art of relationships (strengthening their resolve and overall psyche in the process) , help them to find their soul mate. When this has succeeded, she releases the "bond" and goes off to find someone else. She crossed paths with the Specter, sensed a twinge of loneliness in his being, and immediately bonded herself to him. After chasing him down, the Specter takes a shine to her earnest, but wisened personality (she comes off naive at times, but she is anything but innocent), he takes her as his "sidekick." Soon, Kai-Leh drives Williams crazy with her attempts to "seduce" him, but he tolerates her due to her perky but polite manner, her incredible strength (with a petite, but incrediblly beautiful figure to go with it; her bulging muscles only appear when she puts full effort into her strength), fighting ability (she learned traditional boxing (?!?) from her first subject; she found the experience incredibly erotic, and now practices her boxing skills whenever possible), and the fact that she just won't leave him alone (three passenger doors torn off of the side of the Specter's ride can attest to that; at least one ripped off while she AND the car were in flight). However, she is anything but invulnerable OR perfect. Her race did NOT develop supertoughness, so most attacks can hurt her (she has high Combat Luck to help protect her). Also, she is VERY sensitive to certain negative emotions that hamper love (the thing her race champions most). She also has her darker side: she takes great pleasure in destroying unhealthy relationships (where one partner is violent or abusive towards the other; she's nearly been arrested several times for attacking men who were beating up their girlfriends or wives) and those who would sabotage healthy relationships for their own gain (she's secretly and brutally killed several villains who tried to kidnap a subject's signficant other for ransom or blackmail. The Specter is unaware of this for now).

Whadya think, gang?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: How's this for a strange pairing? (parental discretion advised)

Originally posted by Game Show Man

Whadya think, gang?

Don't look at me.

I've PLAYED characters with less detail. :)

Seriously, what the heck are you looking for?

I think there is a significant difference in their EQs. Just as I would have a hard time talking with someone with twice my IQ, I would have a hard time relating to someone with twice my EQ (a measurement of emotional intelligence).

I think she's going to emotionally slaughter him. It should make for some exciting storytelling, though.

Originally posted by BoneDaddy

I think there is a significant difference in their EQs. Just as I would have a hard time talking with someone with twice my IQ, I would have a hard time relating to someone with twice my EQ (a measurement of emotional intelligence).

I think she's going to emotionally slaughter him. It should make for some exciting storytelling, though.

EXACTLY.

That's the whole idea. Blue's just an "average" well-adjusted fellow who just happens to be a superhero-detective. He's kicks ass, takes names, and meets friends along the way, and enjoys every minute of it. When he happens upon MatchMaker, she naturally turns his life upside down, chasing him about the Lair trying to get him to engage in her latest "experiment" (which is often sexual in nature, and while Blue's definitely straight - no offense to those who aren't here, BTW - he's not entirely comfortable with getting it on with an extra-terrestrial meta-near-human...it also doesn't help matters that he has a slightly suspicious mind). But when the bad guys show up, Lance and Kai-Leh do make a good team.

BTW, Patrick, you're right. Amy Jo Johnson is VERY cute.

• 3 weeks later...

How's this for a bump?

Meet the Love Brick herself...

MatchMaker

Val Char Cost
75 STR 65
25 DEX 45
24 CON 28
24 BODY 28
23 INT 13
30 EGO 40
28 PRE 18
28 COM 9
27 PD 0
17 ED 0
5 SPD 15
20 REC 0
48 END 0
74 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM015" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 261

Cost Power END
35 Inspire Others: Aid 3d6, any one emotion-related Characteristic at a time (+1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (52 Active Points); Others Only (-1/2)
13 Seek Out the Lonely: Telepathy 8d6 (40 Active Points); Empathy (loneliness/emotional pain) (-1), Side Effects, take 6d6 STUN per phase when she detects extreme emotional pain until she tries to help (-1) 4
15 Aura Vision: Detect Aura 14-, Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree
11 Woman of a Thousand Faces: Shapeshift (Sight Group; Imitation), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Cosmetic Details Only (-1/4)
145 Wingless Flight: Flight 24", Position Shift, x4 Noncombat, Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Noncombat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1) (145 Active Points) 14
29 Pretonian Physiology: Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: 400 Years, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing
10 Love's Lifeline: Mind Link (whoever her current "subject" is), Any distance, No LOS Needed (20 Active Points); Feedback STUN Only (-1)
17 Fly on the Wall: Clinging (95 STR)
20 Flying Uppercut: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3
Powers Cost: 295

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Boxing
4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
3 2) Clinch: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on
4 3) Cross: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
5 4) Hook: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
5 5) Jab: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 21

Cost Skill
5 Acrobatics 15-
5 Acting 16-
5 Breakfall 15-
5 Climbing 15-
12 +4 with Boxing
5 Combat Piloting 15-
5 Concealment 15-
11 Conversation 19-
5 Deduction 15-
6 KS: Human Relationships (INT-based) 17-
6 KS: Kama Sutra (INT-based) 17-
6 KS: Human Sexual Fetishes (INT-based) 17-
5 Mimicry 15-
11 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 17-
7 Paramedics 16-
11 Persuasion 19-
11 Power 15-
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
7 SS: Psychology (INT-based) 18-
11 Seduction 19-
7 Shadowing 16-
5 Stealth 15-
7 Tactics 16-
9 Tracking 17-
2 TF: Science Fiction & Space Vehicles
Skills Cost: 174

Cost Perk
3 Access
3 Anonymity
10 Computer Link
10 Fringe Benefit: Membership: Pretonian Guardian
Perks Cost: 26

Cost Talent
9 Ambidexterity (Eliminate Off Hand Penalty entirely)
3 Bump Of Direction
24 Combat Luck (12 PD/12 ED)
42 Danger Sense (Area: General Area, Discriminatory, Function as a Sense, Sensitivity: Any Danger) 14-
4 Double Jointed
4 Environmental Movement (no penalties on/in Space)
8 Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions
3 Perfect Pitch
24 Universal Translator 18-
Talents Cost: 121

Total Character Cost: 898

Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features: Gorgeous (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Enraged: (observing physical and emotional abuse with in a relationship), go 14-, recover 14-
10 Hunted: UNTIL 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Money: Destitute
20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Pretonian Guardians (must help others find their true loves; must protect and heal those in emotional pain) (Common; Total)
10 Psychological Limitation: Loves to have sex (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Social Limitation: Harmful Secret (location of her homeworld) (Occasionally; Severe)
20 Susceptibility: Hatred 3d6 damage, per Minute (Common)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 500

Experience Required: 248

Total Experience Available: 248

Experience Unspent: 0