Boostable Charges and Burnout

Guest Kolava

Why is it that, while the vast majority of the HERO rules try to maintain freedom for the character's creator, the rules for boostable charges make a pretty big assumption? I'm reffering to the automatic burnout which is tossed on to any boostable charge power. What was the idea behind including it, and is it really necisary?

Maybe, but shouldn't that be a warning in the text rather then an automatic adjustment? I can think of plenty of SFX where boosting is possible without endangering the integrity of the charged power. As for needing it to keep things fair, I think the fact that you are burning more charges then usual is enough of a limitation (if not, the text warns the GM to watch out for abuse)

Usually, I have found that when I want something close to Boostable, but something that doesn't Burnout (or the limit of 4 additional charges), I usually want something other than Boostable.

Example:

Summon 13 Kobolds (15+20)

-0 Charges: 13

-1 Lim: Expends 1 charge per Kobold summoned

17 Real Points

This allows one to summon 13 Kobolds at once, or 1 Kobold 13 times, or some combination. Without the limitation, one could summon 13 kobolds up to 13 times (as long as doesn't exceed 13 at any one time).

What about some sort of energy weapon with, say, 40 charges and a SFX of being able to fire small or large bursts, with the larger consuming more ammo? Maybe this could be a MP, but how would you build the larger bursts as consuming many charges from the shared pool?

Originally posted by Kolava

What about some sort of energy weapon with, say, 40 charges and a SFX of being able to fire small or large bursts, with the larger consuming more ammo? Maybe this could be a MP, but how would you build the larger bursts as consuming many charges from the shared pool?

That is actually in the FAQ. But that's not addressing the Boostable aspect. I like the approach Blue Jogger used in his Summon example.

Aroooo

Originally posted by Allandrel

So what about something like Spider-Man's web shooters, where he can expend extra web fluid to make the Entangle bigger, but has no chance of jamming?

Patrick J McGraw

Search through this section of the boards. I remember a long conversation about this very thing.

Aroooo