Advanced Rigellian Embedded Messaging

BobGreenwade

From Alien Wars, page 32: "With practice, a Rigellian can even learn how to "embed" one spoken message inside another -- he seems to speak normally, but uses higher and lower tones pitched only for one person's ears to communicate secretly with that person. (In game terms, this requires a Ventriloquism roll at -4.).

This disturbed me a little right from the outset. If it's a racial ability, it seems to me that it should be something a little more than Ventriloquism at -4; a game mechanic that simple would be something a Human or anyone else could do.

However, the text does say, "with practice," so it's not quite a racial ability either. So, using the Power rules, I build it as a "non-Powered power" specific (if not unique) to Rigellians, thus:

Advanced Rigellian Embeeded Messaging: Hearing Group Images, -5 to PER Rolls, 1" Radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Incantations (throughout; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Concealment Roll And A Ventriloquism Roll (Subject to Skill Versus Skill; -1), Single Target Only (-1). Total cost: 7 points.

The Skill Versus Skill is an observer's PER Roll versus the Concealment or Ventriloquism Roll, whichever is made by less, though with the -5 Modifier. The "Single Target" is the person for whom the message is intended; the target of the Images, in combat terms, is the character himself.

Any comments?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Hm. Y'know, I really thought someone would have a comment on the concept, the execution, the game mechanics (to which I confess a level of uncertainty, specifically in the application of Skill vs Skill in the RSR), or something...

Didn't see it the first time.

Sounds like a neat ability though I could swear I've heard of this ability either from some other source, probably fiction. Spy novel?

i didn't see it first time around either ... But, the first mechanic is the easier of the two by far. And can be limited by simply stating "For Rigellian's the penalty is a -4, for other races it is either impossible or at a larger negative to the roll."

Of course, some people like to account for every little tiny detail with points, in which case your method is better.