Champions Random Character Generator Returns

nyakki

I have returned from the alternate reality of "Overworked with Little Pay" to once again venture forth onto the ongoing project of The Only Random Character Generator You Will Ever Need!!!!

Greetings all. Long time no write (but I've been lurking about)...

Stats are great. February 2003 I had over 1000 requests for generator (no details on if it was one person 1000 times or 1000 people one time or somewhere in between).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about here's the link:

http://www.trimira.com/hero_stuff/hero_stuff.html

Now, having this many hits in one month for a "throw together" project is great and at the same time unnerving.

I am a perfectionist by trade (didn't know there was a trade in being a perfectionist did you?) and this little program is far from perfect.

I have been putting band aids on it here and there when suddenly I went bonkers patching things up and decided to start from scratch.

It will still be in CGI for the time being although I think I've got a handle on Javascript and will be making it for download someday (whenever someday comes)

Because I'm starting from scratch and since you've all had a chance to see what I'm talking about, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Places I need the most input are:

Stats: Currently, the stats increase proportionally to the point level of the character. So, for example, a 350 point character would have, say 12 BOD, a 450 point character would have a 15 BOD, a 600 point character would have a 20 BOD, and so on...

What are your stat averages/max?

What do you think would be better - Stats increase proportional to character points or Stats that didn't fluxuate too much (unless in the character concept)?

Power Frameworks: Currently, the frameworks used are EC and MP. EC will only be selected if there are 3 powers that would fit AND only one offensive power. MP's are selected when there are 3 or more powers. Also, MP's are separated into Defense, Movement, and Offensive (so a random character could end up with 3 MPs)

I have had suggestions to put in VPP's. I'll probably put them in.

What is your feeling on frameworks?

Should all characters generated have one if TWO or more powers would fit?

Should there be a separation of MPs?

Skills: Currently, skills are low priority and are only selected to "balance out the points".

I've been toying with the idea of putting a "Set Number Of Points/Percent" button for skills. What do you think?

Champions 4 vs. Champions 5: Right now the generator is Champions 4 rules. I (finally) got FReD.

Should I bother with 4 anymore?

Should I concentrate on making a Champions 5 version (this may be a very stupid question but you never know...)?

Ideas in the works:

Making a "good" origin/name generator (the one now is almost useless).

Having "must-have" powers/skills in the control panel

Hero/Villian button (this will help with determining Psych Lims etc.)

Implementing Consistant Random Limitations that make sense for the powers (harder than it looks)

Same for Advantages

Making the printout both HTML and Text (tab separated).

Thanks for reading this far.

Any feedback is welcomed.

nyakki

How about both versions?

Hey dude! How about both versions can be served by the same character generator? Hopefully you can add your own names and create your origin stories.

Plu why don't you have a stat converter so that you can switch between 4th and 5th eds without raising a sweat or having a lot of headaches.What's more: you can add pictures from the HeroMachine website so that everybody will know what your PC looks like.

Hope these sugguestions help, good luck recreating your generator.:cool:

Re: How about both versions?

Originally posted by PhantomGM6101

Hey dude! How about both versions can be served by the same character generator? Hopefully you can add your own names and create your origin stories.

I'm trying that now but run into trouble in a few areas (namely how talents/senses/advantages were changed).

The origin and name will have a "on/off" switch so that you can add your own if you want.

What's more: you can add pictures from the HeroMachine website so that everybody will know what your PC looks like.

I could add a space for a picture.

Hope these sugguestions help, good luck recreating your generator.:cool:

Thanks for the suggestions. More the merrier.

nyakki