RSR with multiple Skills and Power Frameworks

Derek Hiemforth

Question

Hi Steve -

Can you apply Requires A Skill Roll to a Power Framework, if different slots/powers use different Skills, but all require a Skill Roll?

For example, let's say I'm using a Variable Power Pool-based magic system. I want the spellcasters to be restricted to only spells they know. "Spells they know" is defined in this case as meaning "spells they've bought the Power Skill for. Can I apply Requires A Skill Roll to the VPP, even though each spell would use it's own Skill (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Shield, and so on) rather than a single "Magic Skill?"

Thanks! :)

1 answer to this question

This is in the Rules FAQ, though I had to double-check to find it:

Q: Can a character take the same Limitation at different values for the slots of a Power Framework (for example, Increased Endurance Cost at x2 END, x4 END, and x5 END for three slots), and then apply the Limitation to the base cost/reserve (and if so, at what value)?

A: As a default, no — the Limitation must be exactly the same on each slot (though in the case of Requires A Skill Roll, the character may have different Skills as the roll for each slot, as long as the value of the Limitation is the same for each slot). The GM can, of course, waive this rule and allow a character to apply a Limitation to a Multipower reserve when each of the slots takes some form of that Limitation, but if so, the lowest value of the Limitation applies (the -1/2 for x2 END, in this example).

There's another question that applies the same logic to differing Side Effects that all have the same value. As always, the GM is free to say thee "nay" if this doesn't seem to make sense or could cause balance problems in his campaign.