A construction question on special "classes"

proditor

One of the things I like in concept are d20's prestige classes. I want to make something similar to them for Hero, but more along the lines of "Secrets that have to be discovered" sort of things. Ancient ways of doing something, forgotten magics or skills, etc. In doing some initial planning, I hit a small stumbling block. I want some of these to be racial specific. Like the Starbow archers are only Elven of a certain branch or something similar. So if I have say a Multipower that is only usable by Elves...and only by a select group of them, is that actually a disadvantage? My gut tells me it is a SFX and nothing more. However, I could see an argument that if the PC got transformed into a toad or a human or something, they couldn't access this mystical warrior hoo-ha. Likewise if in RP they got kicked out of the group, they could lose access to this power. So is this a conditional disad to their potential MP worth say -1/4 since it is most definitely in the "One forth the time or less" category?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Re: A construction question on special "classes"

Off the top of my head: I draw a parallell with the Universal/Limited Universal/Personal applicabilities of the Focus Limitation. With these it's just the way the Focus is defined: The Power can be used by anyone (Universal), by only one person (Personal), or by a limited group of people (Limited Universal).

Neither of these does anything to the value of the Limitation, so I should just say that Starbow Archers must be Elves, and give no discount on the points of the Power.

Re: A construction question on special "classes"

It's just a campaign groundrule. If you like, you can even take the power construct the way you like it and "snapshot" it as a Talent and say "This Talent may only be taken by characters that meet this criteria:", or make it possible as a "Race Option" for the races it's applicable to.

Taken from: http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/RacePackageDeals/smallfolkPackages.shtml