Artificer Rough Draft

Killer Shrike

Re: Artificer Rough Draft

I like the idea of Research & Experimentation to construct prototypes, especially that the step can be skipped if you want to take the minuses. :eg:

I like Diagramming, although the likelihood that one mage's research would be detailed for another to use should be restricted. It reminds me a bit like Ars Magica game, where we had the book "How to build a professional +2 Magic Lab" and gave it to the apprenctices so they could build them.

This was also the game, where the secrets of a cheap short-range gate spell (100 yards) was stolen from us and all amounts of havoc was generated by NPC mages. :)

I like the idea of Research & Experimentation to construct prototypes, especially that the step can be skipped if you want to take the minuses. :eg:

I like Diagramming, although the likelihood that one mage's research would be detailed for another to use should be restricted. It reminds me a bit like Ars Magica game, where we had the book "How to build a professional +2 Magic Lab" and gave it to the apprenctices so they could build them.

This was also the game, where the secrets of a cheap short-range gate spell (100 yards) was stolen from us and all amounts of havoc was generated by NPC mages. :)

Thanx for the commentary. :)

As far as the Diagramming, the penalties, time, and need for an extra otherwise extraneous skill are all significant impediments, but I could increase the penalty to -1/10 Active Points, which would make it even more difficult. Thoughts?

I like Diagramming as it is. Although the GM might give a penalty if an appentice is using an advanced text (unless it was written for appentices and a penalty might be placed on the writer's side). There is always the possibility that the text makes as much sense as stereo instructions...

"Please be placing the sacrifice upon the altar. Adjust the sacrific so that it faces towards the river unless river be wrong and face should towards the sun. Place the cut as the diagram below. But first, be sure that the bowl of gathering is of metal yellow, soft but not quite."

I like Diagramming as it is. Although the GM might give a penalty if an appentice is using an advanced text (unless it was written for appentices and a penalty might be placed on the writer's side). There is always the possibility that the text makes as much sense as stereo instructions...

AH...actually the "apprentice" is going to have a lower skill roll than a "master" and thus will likely fail regardless.

I guess your "retirement" didn't last long! :D

Dude, Im totally taking it easy; for an entire week I have just a single polished write up of a Magic System I actually made two weeks ago (Totemic Shamanism), no new characters, and one half-assed document cobbled together out of the previous content on this into one cohesive document and totally reliant on other documents that were written previously (i.e. the "Artificer" document). It doesnt get much more slack than that ;)

Not bad work. Characters that create magic items as a profession have always been just a little too high fantasy for my liking though.
It costs Character Points, so good luck finding a lot of them. It's definitely aimed at High Fantasy however -- that portion of the web site is called "High Fantasy HERO" afterall ;)

http://www.killershrike.com

http://www.FantasyHERO.com