Escaping HTH Combat

Snarf

Does the Hero System have any rules that penalize people who try to back out of a HTH combat, like the other guy getting a free attack when you try to run away from a swordfight? Also, are there any rules for free hits when passing too close to someone? I remember stuff like that in a couple other game systems and I'm thinking of incorporating something like it into my Fantasy Hero game.

Re: Escaping HTH Combat

I looked in the 5th Edition rulebook, but I couldn't see any rules to cover this. Maybe I just missed it; it's late, and I'm tired after a long weekend. Maybe Steve Long can answer your question. You can post in the questions board for an official answer.

Actually, tat sounds pretty good. You can use that rule to simulate backing away from a fight. Of course, it h]matters how you get away. Is your guard still up Usre the block maneuver. Are you truning tail and running? Use the rule in that page.

Thanks for the help guys.

That rule works nicely for people trying to pass by you, but I'm not sure it would work for someone trying to run away from a combat with you, because if you're already in a fight then you probably won't have any held actions. I might have to expand the rule to allow aborting to an attack instead of just attacking with held actions.

You're quite welcome ... though my FH combats seem rife with Held Actions, at least on the PCs part. On the NPCs part ... well ... they've mostly been fighting animal intelligence or low-human intelligence creatures ... so Held Actions haven't been too prevalent there.

Basically, the way I read it though is that if the PC seemingly ignores someone in combat (running right by them or running away from them seem to me to be roughly the same) then they operate at ½ DCV versus that opponent.