Chromats

Vondy

I'm sitting here at work without my book (gasp!) contemplating how to build something in Hero.

The Chromat:

"... these consist of thousands of color-generating partially organic electronic nodules inserted under the skin in an array that can be as small or large as the recipient desires (or can afford; Venusians with the money to buy full-body chromats seldom have good social reasons to display them in public, anyway). When active, the chromat looks just like a bright (sometimes even glowing) tatoo, but when inactive, the skin is completely normal-looking. Most offices have few restrictions on chromat use but for the sake of courtesy, most Venusians keep their chromats off or only partially activated when at work.... The chroma cells are turned on by the use of a nutrient-enriched skin cream that powers the chroma cells for several hours, after which the image fades; a different lotion inactivates them, but once made so, the cells do not reactivate for about a day. Basic chromats are fixed to show only one image when activated. Advanced versions link the chroma cells in a network controlled by a chip similar to an eyeprinting control chip, allowing the use of moving images and changes to the images used. Implantation of a chromat takes a few hours with a skilled technician, followed by a few weeks of healing and integration."

I'm trying to decide what power works best for this concept:

1) images

2) cosmetic transform

3) shape shift (sight only)

I can think of a construct or two for each.

Thoughts?

Re: Chromats

Of the three powers that you list, Shape Shift looks the most appropriate IMHO. There might be other ways:

If Advanced Chromats can be used to achieve a "chameleon" effect, you might consider building them as bonuses to Concealment (self only) and Disguise.

If Advanced Chromats can be used to display writing and such, you might consider Transmit for the sight group. Useful for silent communication.

I woudn't model Basic Chromats at all. They're really not that different from mundane body paint.

Re: Chromats

Is all they do is look cool? You might as well ask what the charge for having metallic purple eyes are.

Unless it has some sort of in game, mechanical effect, I'd say they're free (as far as points go, spending money on them would be a bit different).

As Solomon said, you can simulate any game effect by buy whatever Power it would simulate. Invisibility for advanced Chromats that blend your skin into the surrounding colors/patterns (with appropriate Limitations), COM and/or bonuses to some PRE Skills if they are viewed a some sort of status symbol or highly attractive, etc.