What Books do I need for Fantasy hero

Izzy

I sold some of my old games recently, so I have some money to spend on Fantasy Hero.

I already have Hero 5th and Hero System Besitary. I know need Fantasy Hero itself and I am fairly sure Monsters, Minions, And Marauders is another book I want.

Not sure about the The Fantasy Hero Grimoire, is it needed or useful?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Regards

Izzy

Re: What Books do I need for Fantasy hero

Well, for starters of course you dont need any of them.

That being said, the Grimoire would be good if you want a bunch of premade Spells usable pretty generically.

The Fantasy HERO book itself is a phenomenal resource and I highly recommend it just as a general resource if nothing else.

MMM is my least favorite DOJ book to date, and I can't honestly recommend it.

Hero Designer v2 now has the new FH rules material included in it, and I would highly recommend getting and using it to simplify your life as a GM running any HERO System game. As an added plus it has several features that are particularly useful to Fantasy HERO games such as an improved Equipment tab and a handy "Save As/Create From Template" feature useful for making race packages and stock template characters (handy for doing things like quickly making a successive series of the same basic thing such as Basic Broken Arrow Tribal Orc, Elite Broken Arrow Tribal Orc, Champion Broken Arrow Tribal Orc, Legendary Broken Arrow Tribal Orc, etc).

Thanks for the info Killer Shirke. I was not sure what if anything is needed but I defintely wanted Fantasy hero at least for a resource probably more.

Not sure if I need premade Spells but I think about. The MMM is not good, could not find a review on it. I need to check how much money I have before I go with the software. Being Laid-off is a bummer.

Regards

Izzy

Thanks for the info Killer Shirke. I was not sure what if anything is needed but I defintely wanted Fantasy hero at least for a resource probably more.

Not sure if I need premade Spells but I think about. The MMM is not good, could not find a review on it. I need to check how much money I have before I go with the software. Being Laid-off is a bummer.

Regards

Izzy

Id go with HD over any of the books with the possible exception of Fantasy HERO itself.

Also, Im not saying MMM is bad, Im just saying it wasnt my cup o' tea. But Im probably not the target audience anyway.

Grimoire looks good on a flip thru, but since I have around 2000 Spells of my own for various Magic Systems (and have zero problem making more as I need them), its not crucial to me either and in fact Ive never actually done more than glance at it a couple of times.

Still, for those who dont like to make things themselves they are both viable resources.

I used MMM the first night we gamed after I got it so, I will politely disagree with Killer on this book. It has a lot of clever opponents in it.

FH is extremely useful and will take a long time to digest, but bring it everytime you and when questions come up check the index.

I like the Grimoir and its very useful as an idea book.

I think reading this forum is the best first step.

I would say that the Fantasy Hero Grimoire has been more useful than Monsters, Minions and Marauders in my campaign ... so I would recommend the Grimoire first before MMM. On the other hand, I also have to say that MMM has been very nice for pre-made creatures that most people haven't seen before. If you have players that are guessing what awaits them before you get halfway through the flavor text ... then tossing something at them from MMM is a good way to catch them off guard.

Though I would say the thing that I have used more than everything besides Hero 5th Ed and the Fantasy Hero genre book itself is Hero Designer. You will not believe how much easier it makes things until you get it. (Especially if you have players that sometimes have better things to do than keep track of character sheets ... hehe.)

I'd put my vote in for FH grimoire over MMM as well. Even if you don't use the spells from it - and I don't, much, as I have over a thousand already defined - it's a useful source of ideas. MMM is OK, but for me at least, not terribly inspiring.

Truth to tell, if your budget is limited FREd, FH and the Bestiary are plenty.

cheers, Mark

The main reason I dont like MMM for my own use, is I dont do the Monster Manual Menagerie of just tossing some random creature/monster/whatever at the group for hack fodder. I also dont do the Half-Dragon Half-Construct Half-Celestial (how many halves is that, Gary?) Undead Rock Troll of Legendary Ass-whooping mix-and-match thing either.

GM: "Take creature A and blend with creature B.....make it a different color.......add an extra head.....see, a whole new creature! The 2-headed Giant Troll Half-Dragon..."

Player: "Uh, didnt we fight a 2-headed Giant Troll Half-Dragon last week?"

GM: "Ah! But this one is a BLUE Half Dragon. Whole new creature." :rolleyes:

The various unusual creatures and races that exist in my setting are not random, they are part of the setting, with origins tied into the setting. So monster manual type books arent of any real use to me. Thus I havent dont more than flip thru MMM and havent used it for anything and therefore can't recommend it. It might be the bees knees for some kinds of campaigns. Just go to the FLGS and do the old page scan and see if it grabs your eye....

Here is a slightly off target question for people here. I have the 5th edition hero, FH, Grimoire, and MMM. I do have the Besitary, but it's the 4th edition Besitary. Is it worth my while to get the 5th edtion Besitary? Is there anything new in it besides updating the creatures to conform with 5th edition?

I do have the Besitary' date=' but it's the 4th edition Besitary. Is it worth my while to get the 5th edtion Besitary? Is there anything new in it besides updating the creatures to conform with 5th edition?[/quote']

Here's the response when I asked the same question.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying Fantasy Hero itself sure Monsters, Minions, And Marauders after everyone's advice and jyuts got it yesterday.

Skimming over Fantasy Hero, I found that this is one heck of a book. First one that I found in Gm info that exceeds my Rolemaster Gamemaster Law. Looks like it is going to replace a book I have used for many years. Now Need to imerse myself in it.

Monsters, Minions, And Marauders is actually going to be useful to me, not so much for throwing monsters against players, but useful as a tool to give my ideas of how to build my own monsters and bring them alive.

The best thing is building all this my way instead of trying to tailor it to some other rigid set of rules. Looks like it will be a huge amount of fun.

Regards

izzy