Slayers Redux

Michael Hopcroft

With the d20 and Tri-Stat versions of the Slayers rpgs, based on the anime fantasy series, coming out in short order, it occured to me that as much as I enjoy working with this world and universe in any system that it may work best of all in HERO.

Slayers, for thsoe unfamilair with it, is the story of an obscenely powerful sorceress adn her friends who travel the world in search of fame, fortune and truly excessive amounts of food. Along the way they are placed in svereal situations ion which the entire world is in such danger that even the heroine's considerable magic powers might not be enough to prevent the obliteration of creation. in fact, her powers may well turn out to be the cause of the world's obliteration if she makes a misstep. She's that powerful. yet in spite of that, she is an extremely human character with heart, soul and numerous personal weaknesses and faults, not the least of which is her delusional belief that she's unattractive to men because her breatss are small and she;s short. (In reality, she's one of the cutest things on two legs, but try telling her that and you;re likely to get a Flare Arrpow you-know-where).

It's an adventure. it;s a comedy, And it's utterly brilliant.

Now that I have my new computer in hand, HD 2.29 at the ready, and a whole bunch of time on mt hands, I'm trying to firue out the best way to translate this world to HERO. Unless something is done to make magic really cheasp, the heroine of the series is going to be a phenomenally expensive character. Some of the other characters will be a bit cheaper -- but then they can't destroy creation by blowing a skill roll.... :fear:

Re: Slayers Redux

I think that Killer Shrike has a magic system set up that would work for Lina's system. Spellweavers, on his website, would be good, but might require too high a skill roll to even be able to succeed at something like Dragon Slave.

KS lists several magic styles here:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13820&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Maybe one of those will work for you - I like magecraft, myself.