Do I need Fast Draw on a Multipower?

Vex

Question

One of my players wants to build a knife thrower with the knives doing different things (RKA, Pin Entangle, Disarm, Push Buttons, etc...). The multipower is built as a Bandolier full of knives (OIF with 32 recoverable charges) with each slot being a different power (with the OAF limitation among other things). Does the character need to spend a half-phase to draw a weapon each phase to use a slot?

1 answer to this question

Re: Do I need Fast Draw on a Multipower?

The rules for each power govern how it's used. If it's, for example, an Entangle, then it takes an Attack Action to use it. A character does not, per se, have to spend a Half Phase to "activate" a power just because the special effect of that power is "it's a weapon used in a special way." (He does, of course, have to spend a Half Phase drawing a weapon he receives for free in a Heroic genre game, and the GM might even impose that requirement for bought weapons as a campaign ground rule.)

However, given that the special effect of the character's powers are "it's a weapon," to "realistically" and properly reflect that fact, it would be appropriate for him to apply an Extra Time Limitation to represent the time it takes to "draw" the weapon. In some genres it would be perfectly appropriate to say, "the character's so good, he can draw and throw instantly" (meaning no Extra Time Limitation); in others, common sense, dramatic sense, or the GM might dictate that he ought to apply that Limitation to the power.