Coordinating with myself?

Zed-F

Question

Normally, multiple power attacks don't include two attacks that go against the same defenses/stat. For instance, I could do a martial disarm/legsweep multiple power attack, or a EB/Flash multiple power attack, but not an EB/RKA multiple power attack. In this case, coordinating with yourself is not really a big issue since both attacks shouldn't be doing stun anyway.

However, what about constant attacks? If AcidBlobMan attacks and hits with a continuous EB acid blob, and then hits the same target again with another continous EB acid blob, that target will be taking damage twice on the same phase at the same DEX from the same attack as long as both blobs are being maintained. I'm pretty sure that DEF is applied separately against both attacks; however, what about coordination? If you cover a target with acid, and then cover the target with even more acid, should not all that acid work together in some fashion? Are these attacks automatically considered to be coordinated, never considered to be coordinated, are only considered coordinated if you make a teamwork roll to coordinate with yourself, or something else?

1 answer to this question

Re: Coordinating with myself?

First, you seem to be misinterpreting multiple-power attacks. There's no rule that says a character can never combine two attacks -- such as an EB and an RKA -- that work against different defenses, or that both cause STUN damage. A character has to use the same type of Attack Roll, and can't combine a Ranged and HTH attack into one MPA, and can't use two damage-causing Combat/Martial Maneuvers that cause damage unless the GM rules that they're "reasonably distinguishable." But I don't believe there's any rule that references the applicable defenses. For example, 5E 235 mentions the possibility of using an HA and an HKA in an MPA. (If I've overlooked something in my quick review of the subject, please reference it for me.)

If two Constant powers both affect a target, they do so separately, unless some rule states otherwise. They don't "combine" or "Coordinate" in any way. Nor can characters "Coordinate" with themselves.