What do you call this genre?

Citizen Keen

Re: What do you call this genre?

The other Lord Darcy book is Murder and Magic. I highly recommend them all, but if you only read one you should probably go with Too Many Magicians -- it's the only actual novel. The other two are compilations of short stories. Now that I think if it, though, there's a new paperback out that has all the stories in one volume. (Note: There is also a fourth book called Ten Little Wizards, but it isn't by Randall Garrett and I haven't bothered to read it yet so I can't say whether or not it's any good). Anyway, I've always thought of the Lord Darcy stuff as Steampunk, though I'm not sure that's technically accurate.

Re: What do you call this genre?

Revolutionary Fantasy,

Colonial fantasy,

Imperialist Fantasy,

Manifest Destiny Fantasy,

Social Revolution Fantasy,

Those all sort of tailor to the era of which you speak. My favorite is Colonial Fantasy. I mean "High Fantasy" doesn't mean you're all under the influence while playing, and "Dark Fantasy" doesn't mean the sun is always down, so it's not like you NEED colonies in Colonial fantasy, but it does describe the technology era as per European / Western standards.

Edit: Oh holy crap, I didn't even read all of page 2. Frontier Fantasy is so much better. I knew there was some Davy Crockett-esque word I wasn't hitting on, and I think that was it. (I wanted to say Critter fantasy because I was thinking Critterland in Disneyland but now that I reflect, it's Frontierland, with Critter Country. Wow, look how much I type when I drink this school's coffee.)