I am confusing my self! Suppress PDr?

I am confusing my self! Suppress PDr?

Ok I am creating a mutant light tank that can create fields of energy that can weaken or strengthen people and objects. See my thread on multi-power attacks. Any way I am mainly looking at STR and PDr. Now STR is easy and strait forward. But PDr is twisting my mind. The problem is that there are lots of kinds of PDr: force fields, armor, damage resistance, and what about item DEF. I want to be able to weaken (or strengthen) vault doors and the front armor on a tank.

-As long as we are taking about DEF, can I lower just the PDr side of DEF or do I have to lower the whole DEF of the object?

-Can I just define the drain or suppress as lowing PDr and assume it is what ever the highest PDr source is? No I don’t think that would work.

-Would a simple +1/4 variable advantage any PDr one at a time work?

As always thanks.

Demonsong

Re: I am confusing my self! Suppress PDr?

Okay, assuming that by PDr you mean rPD (resistant Physical Defense):

First, I'd assume that, yes, you can Drain just the rPD side of DEF and leave rED as it is.

Second, the +1/4 Advantage for Drain should work fine. Without it, I'd restrict the Drain to working on "natural" rPD, such as that bought through Damage Resistance or Armor, first and then on Force Fields.

Some other general ideas on the topic can be found in Steve Long's HeroGlyphs column in DH#20.

Re: I am confusing my self! Suppress PDr?

I don't think you can just drain the rPD part of Def normally. You would have to drain Def at the 3/1 cost, and then apply a limitation that it's PD only.

The FAQ states that if you want to purchase PD or ED only, you would buy Def with a -1 limitation, indicating that the active points are the same as if you had both PD and ED. I would assume that the reasoning applies in reverse to the drain situation as well.

I agree that the +1/4 advantage would be needed to drain any PD. Remember though, that drains vs defenses are halved.