Mind Scan Damage Shield Followup

Dust Raven

Question

I assume you meant yes in your reply (I know what the book says, perhaps I should have clarified that I wished to understand what it means).

In that case, the effect of a Mind Scan Damage Shield would only apply for the instant mental contact is made and no longer, unless contact is prolonged in some way?

Example: the character is hit with an Ego Attack. The Mind Scan Damage Shield dice are rolled, and for the next Phase, the character has a Mind Scan link (at a level determined when the Power is bought) with his attacker is enough effect is rolled. But after than Phase, the effect ends and there is no more link. Same effect with Telepethy or other continuing effect Mental Powers because they are still considered Instant.

If I wanted a Mind Scan Damage Shield that lasted longer than one Phase I would have to build some sort of Triggered Mind Scan, or hope I was hit with a Constant/Continuous Mental Power.

Have I got that right?

1 answer to this question

Re: Mind Scan Damage Shield Followup

Well, it's like any other Mental Damage Shield. As long as "mental contact" is maintained, the Damage Shield effect continues. For an Ego Attack, that's a momentary mental contact -- an attack with an Instant Power -- so the effect only lasts for that Phase. If a continuing-effect Mental Power (a Constant attack) were used, the Damage Shield effect would last as long as the attack was in use.