Power help?

The Horror

One of my players just hit me with a tough one. Well tough for me since I don't have that much experience with HERO anyhow.

He is playing Mosquito Man. Amongst his numerous abilities is the ability to shrink to Mosquito size:

Like a Bug!: Shrinking (0.0039 m tall, 7.451E-7 kg mass, -18 PER rolls to perceive the character, +18 DCV, takes +27" knockback) (90 active points); 4 Charges (-1), Concentration (0 DCV, character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), No Growth Momentum (-1/4). Real Cost: 30 points

Now what he wants to do is have his character make some sort of activation roll to switch back from this form. He wants the character to not desire using his power, but yet be forced to again and again due to circumstance (I'm thinking Jekyl and Hyde here). The main risk being that while he is in the other form his Mosquito self starts taking over the longer he is in it, and he is afraid he may never return from that state. For example, over time in that form he becomes entranced by rotten food and can be easily knocked out by bug spray (are mosquitos even attracted to rotten food?). Furthermore he wants to change forms to Mosquito size every now and again without conscious control (as well as being able to control it normally otherwise - I'm thinking Hulk here). Thusly his motivation becomes to find a cure for his ailment and lead a normal life.

Would a multiform be more suitable than shrinking? How do I handle the gradual loss of control?

I was going to just start making up disadvantages for shrinking left right and center, but then I remembered you guys are just over here to help out! :hail:

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

The Horror

Re: Power help?

Now what he wants to do is have his character make some sort of activation roll to switch back from this form. He wants the character to not desire using his power' date=' but yet be forced to again and again due to circumstance (I'm thinking Jekyl and Hyde here). The main risk being that while he is in the other form his Mosquito self starts taking over the longer he is in it, and he is afraid he may never return from that state.[/quote']

What the player is describing sounds like a common use for Multiform. (The Hulk is one of the classic example) The 5th Edition Multiform has rules for "losing one's self".

If you are using 4th Edition, I'm guessing it's around -1/2 to -1 1/2 limitation on Multiform. Work out some rules that both you and the player sounds about right and use that until 5th Revised Edition comes out. (I really like the expanded rules for Multiform, but don't have them memorized yet)

Just remember that the only things that will hit Mosquito Man in game are AoE attacks and Mental Powers. Furthermore, with a -18 to opponent's PER rolls, mentalists will have a tough time finding him. You may want to read the section in Champions about the Artful Dodger (page 138) before allowing this character into your game. Basically, he's either untouchable...or dead.

Just remember that the only things that will hit Mosquito Man in game are AoE attacks and Mental Powers. Furthermore' date=' with a -18 to opponent's PER rolls, mentalists will have a tough time finding him. You may want to read the section in Champions about the Artful Dodger (page 138) before allowing this character into your game. Basically, he's either untouchable...or dead.[/quote']

I'll make sure to read that section again when I get home tonight.

I was hoping that he'd use that Mosquito ability as more of a plot device than a combat technique. So use it to sneak into the heavily armed building for example.

I've built it as a multiform based on his point total with the personality loss as a limitation and the accidental change (heavy stress) as a disadvantage. The alternate form is the same as his normal form but has the insectile package from the Bestiary on it. I'm pretty sure that includes a -30 to STR, and limited manipulation, and just for good measure I've given him a -20" to flying movement as well. I might actually increase that flying penalty even further to make his total movement 1" with either flying or running.

I've kept his defences and all other characteristics the same in Mosquito form though, so that he won't just be instantly swatted when somebody hits him. The power in total costs like 24 points, so it really doesn't take away very much from his ability in the normal full sized mode.

If it doens't work out so well though then I might have to enforce my GM reserved right to change any characters as I see fit whenever I please...

The Horror