How to: Cup on the River Oceanus

I've been trying to do a writeup of the Greek god Helios, the original god of the sun (yes, Apollo was also god of the sun, but not until 5th century BC. The Greeks had terrible story continuity :) ) Anyway, according to legend, Helios would start each day on the Isle of Rhodes, travel west across the sky, land, and ride back home in a cup on the river oceanus, which crosses the whole earth.

Now, making an extradimensional base called the isle of rhodes was easy. How do I do the other stuff though? I was thinking of just adding Extra-time to the extra-dimensional transport (it takes a while to navigate the river). Would that work?

Is it legal to summon a vehicle? I was going to make the normal sized cup as a focus used to summon the vehicle (it grows and turns into something you can ride in). (insert joke about cup size here) once I earn some experience points, I'll have him learn to navigate the river better, and turn it into a multipower with megascale teleports)

While I'm asking questions, I'd better see what you think of his armor. According to legend, he wore gem-encrusted armor that made such a dance of light that it was impossible to look right at him. here's my take:

Bejeweled Armor 12 rPD 12 rED; +½ ×2 Hardened, +¼ Difficult to Dispel (63 Active Points); -½ OIF, -1 Activation Roll [11- Only covers hit locations 4,5,9-13] (25 Real Points) plus 10 Power Defense 10 Mental Defense, +¼ Difficult to Dispel (25 Active Points); -½ OIF (17 Real Points) plus 3d6 Sight Group Flash; +¼ Personal Immunity, +½ 0 End, +1 Continuous, +½ Persistent, +¾ Explosion [1 DC every 2â€] (60 Active Points); -½ No Range, -½ OIF, -½ Always On (24 Real Points)

66 Real Points

Re: How to: Cup on the River Oceanus

I've been trying to do a writeup of the Greek god Helios, the original god of the sun (yes, Apollo was also god of the sun, but not until 5th century BC. The Greeks had terrible story continuity :) ) Anyway, according to legend, Helios would start each day on the Isle of Rhodes, travel west across the sky, land, and ride back home in a cup on the river oceanus, which crosses the whole earth.

Now, making an extradimensional base called the isle of rhodes was easy. How do I do the other stuff though? I was thinking of just adding Extra-time to the extra-dimensional transport (it takes a while to navigate the river). Would that work?

Is it legal to summon a vehicle? I was going to make the normal sized cup as a focus used to summon the vehicle (it grows and turns into something you can ride in). (insert joke about cup size here) once I earn some experience points, I'll have him learn to navigate the river better, and turn it into a multipower with megascale teleports)

Well, I'd just treat the river as existing in the same Dimension as the gate. In other words, I would have not have the extra-dimensional movement take him straight to the base.

Yes, it is legal to Summon a vehicle, but iirc, you have to put the advantage for the follower being "slavishly" loyal on the summon power.

Re: How to: Cup on the River Oceanus

Depends, primarily on how you concieve the cup, and what your GM requires.

Is there a specific need for it to be always the same cup summoned every time? Is there anything in the myth that more than simply implies that the cup is unique, and that Helios couldn't replace it fairly easily? Is there any reason that using the breakable focus rules can not produce the results you want without always summoning the exact same cup? Is Summon really the best mechanic to represent what you want? Is simply buying the vehicle perk a better choice?

The book doesn't really discuss how mechanically a specific summon and a generic summon differ from each other mechanically. Generally, most people assume that in the case of a specific summon you are summoning that being exactly as they are at the time of the summons so if you summon someone/thing that is damaged, dead, or destroyed you get a damaged, dead, or destroyed person/being/object. Steve, supported this when he was asked about it. I would suggest that you remember Steve's favorite mantra: Common Sense, Dramatic Sense, and Game Balance. Talk to the GM and see if s/he feels that this particular version of specific summons is balanced with a generic summons or the purchasing of a vehicle perk without the use of the summon specific being advantage.