Putting the GO in "Throw"

DocMan

The character I'm currently playing is a Martial Artist who has two martial arts styles: karate and Judo. Most of his Judo manuvers involve some kind of throw.

Now, looking at the character sheet, basicly a throw involves "target falls". That's it. Right there on the hex he's standing on. Somehow, this just doesn't seem well matched to the genre. Even in real martial arts throws, the throwee ends up some distance from the thrower.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for getting more distance from my MA throws. Can you buy a double-knockback advantage w/ a throw manuver? And if so, how do you compute body for throws that don't do damage? Or is there something built into the rules for throws that I've just been overlooking?

Doc

Re: Putting the GO in "Throw"

So' date=' I'm looking for suggestions for getting more distance from my MA throws. Can you buy a double-knockback advantage w/ a throw manuver? And if so, how do you compute body for throws that don't do damage? Or is there something built into the rules for throws that I've just been overlooking?[/quote']The 5th Edition UMA maneuver "Shove" allows you to throw an opponent up to 4", and they only take damage if they hit a wall or other obstacle. That might be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Admittedly, I might be showing some Revisionitis here, but ...

I thought you could dump the person you threw into any adjacent square when you 'martial' threw him.

Past that, I'd think the long-distance throw could be done in Hero with a simple grab-and-throw; a 20 STR martial artist can chuck someone ... isn't it 2" with that, which seems reasonable.

Now, looking at the character sheet, basicly a throw involves "target falls". That's it. Right there on the hex he's standing on. Somehow, this just doesn't seem well matched to the genre. Even in real martial arts throws, the throwee ends up some distance from the thrower.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for getting more distance from my MA throws. Can you buy a double-knockback advantage w/ a throw manuver? And if so, how do you compute body for throws that don't do damage? Or is there something built into the rules for throws that I've just been overlooking?

Doc

Doc,

Unless I'm mistaken, "target falls" only means that the target, at the end of the sucessful maneuver, is lying prone on the ground at 1/2 DCV. It does NOT necessarily mean that the target is still in the same hex.

Under _Damage from Throws_ in UMA (sorry, no page number reference available at this time...) there's a section about Throwing Distance that reads something like:

'Normally a Thrown character lands in the attacker's hex or an adjacent hex. However, a target can be thrown further, depending upon the char*acter's STR. Throwing a target further away from you does not add to the damage done by the Throw maneuver. Consult the STR Table and the Throw*ing Table, on pages 21-22 of the HERO System 5th Edition, for further information; a human or other living creature is an unbalanced, non-aerodynamic object.'

... and ...

'A character can also increase the distance he Throws a character by subtracting damage from the Throw. For every -1 d6 of damage, he can Throw the target +1". This reflects the way he uses his skill and his opponent's momentum to increase the distance of the Throw rather than the damage the Throw does.'

So, toss those bad guys all over town. :) Have fun!