Transfer power and me

Drakkenkin

I have a player that would like to make a PC have their main power (almost only power) be transfer (150/75 points characters.) When ever I look at that power I think it could easy cause an imbalance in the game. If the target is with out power defense (as most don't), point for point, a transfer attack is more powerful then a KA, ... or am I over reacting. I know as the GM I could put out more enemies or just give enemies power defense, but I don't want to do that. It doesn’t seem right to do that just to make the PC less powerful.

What are some GMs and players experience using transfer in a game?

Thanks

Drakkenkin

Re: Transfer power and me

There is one character in my game whose only powers are drain and transfer. It can be very unbalancing if just allowed overall. The character in question can drain, transfer and aid mutant powers. That is his limiter. Not much of one mind you and when I have been unprepared for his abilities it can definitely cramp the game.But as long as he doesn't abuse them and as long as I stay ready for him his character can greatly contribute to the fun in the game. At other times he still contributes to the fun as my group sees me strugling to throw everything in the way of a newly boosted stregth brick or some such when he gets a good aid roll. True it might wipe one combat but eventually it evens out and as long as it is fun. :)

I've played two characters with this approach - both in Champions games not FH. One (as already mentioned) could transfer Mutant powers (not original I know - blame the X-men), the other sucked energy by physical contact to augment all his physical stat.s. This latter character had literally no other powers and almost normal human stats. A single gang member with a gun was a significant threat - as was anyone with a ranged attack but with a big damage shield transfer, he could go toe to toe with virtually any brick.

Both characters could easily become overpowering - they tended to start a combat off weak, but if they survived the first few rounds, then they turned into rampaging combat monsters - after a session where the second character went tearing into a huge pile of agents and emerged on the other side with truly ludicrous stat.s (stronger and tougher then the team Brick, faster than the team Speedster), I retired him at the GM's request.

So such characters viability depends on the player. If he's Ok with his PC getting one-shotted from time to time, early on in the combat, then he gets to cut loose at other times. As a GM, you have to be prepared for a character that can do unpredictable things. On the whole I am not sure that such a character is a great idea for a fantasy game, simply because the range of "unpredictable things" is so much greater there than in a superhero based game.

Cheers, Mark

I think the transfer's combat power would depend a lot on whether it stole body and stun or stole something that didn't kill that target. Something like transfer fire powers sounds less dominating than transfer BODY.