Find Weakness Clarification

Dust Raven

Question

I just read your answer to Zanthis' post and it seems I might have missunderstood something...

When using Find Weakness, you must decide if you are using it against Normal or Resistant Defenses, that much is clear. But it is versus the total of the affected Defense, regardless of source, or only verses the Powers of that particular source?

Example: I have Find Weakness used with a normal punch, and I make a roll against Normal Defenses versus a target with 10 PD and Armor +10 PD (total 20 PD/ 10 rPD). Will a sucessful roll not reduce the value of the Armor, even though it adds to normal as well as resistent defenses (total 15 PD/5 rPD), or reduce the total (10 PD/10 rPD)?

Example 2: Same situation, but versus a character with a 20 PD and Resistant Defenses 20 PD. Would it affect his defenses at all, or reduce his Normal by half?

1 answer to this question

Re: Find Weakness Clarification

If used against Normal Defenses, that's what Find Weakness will reduce. It won't affect Resistant Defenses in that case, regardless of whether the target could apply them against the attack. In your first example, the character cuts the target's Normal Defenses in half, but doesn't change his Resistant Defenses, leaving the target with 10 PD/10 rPD against his attacks. In your second example, he reduces the target's Armor by half, but doesn't affect his Normal Defenses.

The character doesn't have to specify "Force Field," for example, he just specifies "Resistant Defenses" and if he succeeds he reduces the character's total applicable Resistant Defenses by half.