Spells and VPP and allcoation of points

ShadowRaptor

Question

I am totally confused on this issue which is why I am coming to the Master Steve Long with this question and situation.

The only thing I understand about VPP and the points in them is that if I have a 50 point VPP then at most I can have active at one time is up to 50 points worth of spells...unless I am interpreting this wrong?

Okay, now I am really confused is that most spells have an active point cost and a real point cost. When I have my spells active, is it the active point (AP) that uses up the VPP points or is it the real cost (RC) that uses up the points in the pool??? I ask because I know that the real cost can be way way lower than the active points but I am confused on the implementation of this.

Oh, I know you must be asked this one a lot, but when is Fantasy Hero coming out??? I can't wait until that book comes out, it sounds awesome. Your books are awesome.

1 answer to this question

FH will come out this summer. I literally just started writing it today.

The answer to your question, from 5E 209:

1. No single power in the VPP can have an Active Point cost greater than the Pool.

2. The power(s) bought at any one time cannot have a Real Point cost greater than the Pool.

Example: You have a 60-point VPP (total cost 60 + 30 = 90 points). The Pool cost is 60 points. No single power can have an Active Point cost greater than 60. The total Real Point cost of all the powers you buy at once cannot exceed 60.

Thus, you could have three powers with Real Point costs of 20, 30, and 10 Real Points (total = 60). Each of those powers could have an Active Point cost of up to 60 points, but no more.

Clear now? If not, please post a follow-up. Also, I think there are a couple of Rules FAQ questions that explain in greater detail; you may want to check for those.