trying to design a power..

Tymothi

I am trying to recreate a character I had in V&V to Champions 5th. He has he ability to "summon" past or future incarnations of himself and to travel in time (the length of his lifetime) so here is what I came up with :

(Total: 150 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) Duplication (creates 350-point form), Easy Recombination (Zero-Phase Action at Full DCV), Altered Duplicates (25%; +1/4) (100 Active Points); Conditional Power Can only create duplicate versions from either the past or future not the present (-2), Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck ; -1) (Real Cost: 25) plus Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Points in Time) (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Can only travel his lifetime (Cannot travel past his birth or beyond his death; -2), Linked (Temporal Recall ; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Re: trying to design a power..

I am trying to recreate a character I had in V&V to Champions 5th. He has he ability to "summon" past or future incarnations of himself and to travel in time (the length of his lifetime) so here is what I came up with :

(Total: 150 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) Duplication (creates 350-point form), Easy Recombination (Zero-Phase Action at Full DCV), Altered Duplicates (25%; +1/4) (100 Active Points); Conditional Power Can only create duplicate versions from either the past or future not the present (-2), Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck ; -1) (Real Cost: 25) plus Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Points in Time) (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Can only travel his lifetime (Cannot travel past his birth or beyond his death; -2), Linked (Temporal Recall ; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Time travel characters have a few problems.

If you die in the past what happens to you. die in the future fate?

Would you future self help you or take controll. ( he is after all more experienced )

your altered duplicates are both more powerful than you so i would question a -2 limitation, alot.

Feedback do you die in the past or future? assuming the current guy was killed. Is it copies or the actual person you summon. ( removed from the time line )

-2 lim on time travel, a little bit steep i would say. also whats the -3/4 lim at the end i dont understand, linked? what is temporal recall ( pre and post cognition i presume ) but not listed.

Too many high lims, -2 is for seriously limited powers, at best -1 most likely -1/2.

I disagree with one of these limitations,

can only create duplicate versions from either the past or the future -this in my opinion isn't a disadvantage only a special effect in fact having a duplicate from the future could be seen as an advantage as he knows how this combat will be resolved

this character reminds me of one in the old Alpha Flight comic, he was a member of Gamma Flight (i think) who could summon duplicates from his future, and in one combat one of them was killed, so he now knew that one day without warning he would go back in time, fight and die and there was nothing he could do to prevent it.

(Total: 150 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) Duplication (creates 350-point form), Easy Recombination (Zero-Phase Action at Full DCV),

Altered Duplicates (25%; +1/4) (100 Active Points); [ this was selected to reflex the changes one goes through in life (a 18 year old version may be stronger and athletic compared to the 40's something modern version)]

Conditional Power Can only create duplicate versions from either the past or future not the present (-2)

Note : when he "pulls" forth a previous temporal incarnation,he cannot pull anyone from the present [if he is in combat, he cannot pull one from a phase later in the combat].

, Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck ; -1) [ if you kill one you kill them all.. instantly - unless its a future self, where the "present" form falls into a catonia state releazing he is going to die ]

(Real Cost: 25) plus Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Points in Time) (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Can only travel his lifetime (Cannot travel past his birth or beyond his death; -2) <-- limited scale of time travel.

Linked (Temporal Recall ; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) (Real Cost: 13)

the whole concept for this character, is that he will be a "watcher" for the campaign

A -2 lim is something like "can only travel to tuesday january 1974 12:30" or 1 week in the past only etc, you have a +-30 year window ( plus an exact date of death technically ) not hugely limiting.

Ps in your charcter immortal/ageless cos this has a large effect?

Actually, I don't see any limitation applicable for "Only past or future selves". How does this restrict his ability to use Duplication in a typical scenario? Feedback is a legit limitation.

As for the EDM, I don't see a limitation for "in his lifetime" - dates in his lifetime are the "related group of points in time".

One thought: consider "summon" rather than "duplication" with the Summoned beings a related group of "past and future selves". Different mechanic for the same basic effect.

I agree with Vorsh and Hugh. The -2 for only past/future selves is a limitation on duplication for an ability that duplicate doesn't have. Using duplicate creates a "copy" of yourself. The SFX you are using is this copy happens to come from a past or future time. I can so no disadvantage to that at all. It isn't any different in my mind than having an EB that does Fire damage.

That said, I'd also recommend using the Summon mechanic to handle your character.