Campaign Premise - Elite: Year One

Evil Toki

Elite: Year One

This is a campaign, story about the beginning of a new age. An age where man can do things that should not be. Men that can fly, women that can read minds and a world that will be forever changed. But it is a time of turmoil and strife, as the world learns to adapt to a changing environment and an uncertain future where perhaps the meek will not inherit the Earth.

This will be an exploration of what defines a hero. The morality will b grey and the characters will have the chance to lay the foundation for the world to come. They are special, but also feared, and the world is a scary place for “elite†and baseline alike. This will be a story of how disparate lives all become twisted as they learn that they are not quite human, or at least not baseline.

They are now gods among men, or perhaps monsters.

Timeline of Events

• June 5th to June 18th of 2004: Ghenther’s Comet passes into Earth orbit, and the Earth passes through its tail towards the tail end of its journey through our solar system. It is a magnificent sight of purple, blue and white in the night sky, and is even visible during the day, like a second brilliant sun.

• June 19th, 2004: Michael McCoy becomes the first documented Elite, in human history after surviving a semi-truck crash. The truck lost control and swerved onto the sidewalk and just as it was about to crush Michael he was able to create a field of protective energy around himself and was spared from the damage.

• June 24th, 2004: Michael McCoy goes public with his story and demonstrates his powers for the local Oklahoma City news, catapulting him into the public eye overnight; the news dubs him Miracle Kid, and he is a media darling; despite rampant skepticism to his story

• July 2nd, 2004: Several other individuals are identified worldwide as having abilities that go well beyond the norm. The stories are too numerous, too visceral, and too televised to be thought of as fakes. World hysteria begins to rise as questions about the why, and the how become commonplace on the news.

• July 4th, 2004: The first act of violence between the “new†humans and baselines occurs in Italy. An unidentified male lashes out against a mob of hysterical baselines and fries several of the crowd with what appeared to be a pyrokinetic burst of energy. Sixteen people were killed, and several dozens more were wounded. The suspect was never caught but the incident received international attention.

• July 7th, 2004: Several national governments worldwide issue laws that enforce a strict zero tolerance of violence using these strange and unusual abilities and anti-“new†human sentiment rises as people begin to fear these incredible yet strange people.

• July 15th, 2004: The opening stage for Elite: Year One begins on this day with disparate characters linked by their new condition.

This campaign is actually the second campaign I plan to run in this game world that I designed. The first was a teen styled game set in the year 2014, the “modern†day of the setting. It is pretty much Iron Age inspired by the Aberrant setting, a smattering of the Ultimate universe, purely by chance. Did not read Ultimate X-Men till well today.

Anyway the actual premise for this game will be that the heroes will be among the first wave of super beings, which will eventually be called “elitesâ€. There are no super humans, no laws to really control them, yet, and very few if any conventional way to control their abilities.

It has been maybe three to four weeks since the first one appeared. Just wondering what kind of stories would you run given the concept and meager background. The world is pretty much our world, as it is, with current political climate and technology now being subjected to something completely amazing and scary at the same time.

Just looking to see if others have done this or if there are story ideas I could mine for it. In the future of the setting; the United Nations controls much of the world politics and some of the most powerful elites in the world. A powerful elite terrorist group called Pantheon demands to free elite from baseline oppression and exploitation… but all of that does not exist yet.

Just a brave new world trying to adapt to something that has the possibility to put the world on its ear…

Re: Campaign Premise - Elite: Year One

Well I can imagine that there would be a lot of newly discovered Elites pressed to be "more like Miracle Kid", as far as being benevolent media celebrities. I can imagine that those that try to remain hidden or use destructive powers at risk of hurting bystanders will quickly find themselves shunned and under suspect of being "terrorist Elites".

Well I can imagine that there would be a lot of newly discovered Elites pressed to be "more like Miracle Kid"' date=' as far as being benevolent media celebrities. I can imagine that those that try to remain hidden or use destructive powers at risk of hurting bystanders will quickly find themselves shunned and under suspect of being "terrorist Elites".[/quote']

Yeah I plan to have plenty of that!

I also want to see the ideas of what it means to be a hero; and I want to have an air of paranoia as the changes go through the world, and just how people react! I m looking for ideas on how governments will react...

The main problem is that most elites wouldn't use their powers for anything in this situation, but would simply stay underground.

You need to ensure that the PCs can't/won't do that.

Ways of doing this include having their powers erupt in public, ensuring that they can't go back to their previous lives; having distinctive features (wings, tails, fur, horns, being big and green, etc); having accidental change, physical limitations or dependencies; or having really strange backgrounds and/or psych limitations.

I suspect that the most likely "adventuring" elites would be serving or former military, law enforcement or espionage personnel. Other high-profile elites would either be on the run, or would be involved in rampages/monster hunts.

Reading early issues of the Hulk would probably be useful. :)